EARLY..... Beautiful silver plated hallmarked English spoon bowl and early eagle

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found an early 2 piece coat eagle A today and a silver plated colonial spoon with a hallmark. The early 1830 - 40's eagle A has the most beautiful green patina to it. This is only the second spoon I have ever found that has been hallmarked. This appears to be English and could date as old as 1620 - 1640. Does anyone recognize this hallmark? I will be going back as I know there are more of these early buttons at this site and maybe an early silver English hammered coin!

Attachments

• 015 - Copy.JPG
    015 - Copy.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 169
  • 019 - Copy.JPG
    019 - Copy.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 195
  • 020 - Copy.JPG
    020 - Copy.JPG
    618.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 012 - Copy.JPG
    012 - Copy.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 176
Upvote 9

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
REX I saw this type spoon on another site awhile back and I am repeating what this one person said so don't hold me to it but it was called a paddle spoon, as for the hallmark I am not able to identify not at all familiar with these types of markings . Neat coat button you look to be on a good site good luck,vanzutphen

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That spoon bowl is a great find John. It's from a latten trifed spoon, also know as a pied de biche, and dates to the mid-to-late 1600s. The maker's mark RS with the spoon is fairly common, but unfortunately all the early records were destroyed many years ago in a fire and there's no way to determine who RS was or the actual date of manufacture. Also, the mark includes the wording "double whited" which is just another way of saying tinned or silvered. I have found several of these over the years, including a complete example, but yours has the most tinning remaining of any I've seen.

I'm attaching a page from the book "Old Base Metal Spoons" by Price that shows your spoon mark (3rd from the bottom). Again, very nice recovery.

trifed spoon info.jpg

Last edited:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
John - just thought I'd throw out a few more examples of these early spoons. Like hammered coins, these are usually found only at the earliest sites. Maybe that hammered silver you've been seeking is hiding somewhere at that site.

spoon bowls1.jpg

spoon bowls2.jpg

spoon bowls3.jpg

spoon bowls4.jpg

Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"pied de biche" literally translated is "foot of the doe" and according to Google Translate means crowbar (?) Maybe because of the size of the spoon? Nice find!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
"pied de biche" literally translated is "foot of the doe" and according to Google Translate means crowbar (?) Maybe because of the size of the spoon? Nice find!

Erik - that name comes from the 3-pronged end of the spoon handle as you can see in the pic of the complete spoon below. The original broad, flat termination had 2 deep cuts made which formed the likeness of an animal's hind foot. These type spoons were referred to as either pied-de-biche, split end spoons, or trifids. These 3-pronged terminations came in different designs, but all resembled an animal's foot or hoof.

spoon bowls1.jpg

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spoon is great sign of possible other good finds - they are rare intact and very collectible - Ive gotten a few guys over the yrs wanting to buy mine - or leave it to them in my will :tongue3:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well that's interesting Bill--thank you. And what about "shoulders" on the handle of a spoon--any function other than decorative? When did they first appear? I recently unearthed a larger, what appears to be pewter or a pewter alloy, spoon at a Colonial site. Perhaps you can help me id it and nail down a time frame etc. BTW I recently completed an interesting article regarding Colonial artifacts that will be published in the next local historical society newsletter. Please PM me your email address again and I'd be happy to send you a copy if you'd like to see it. I always enjoy your articles.

Erik - that name comes from the 3-pronged end of the spoon handle as you can see in the pic of the complete spoon below. The original broad, flat termination had 2 deep cuts made which formed the likeness of an animal's hind foot. These type spoons were referred to as either pied-de-biche, split end spoons, or trifids. These 3-pronged terminations came in different designs, but all resembled an animal's foot or hoof.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Devonrex, I'll bet that spoon will clean up quite well with some aluminum jelly--I've had very good success with it on spoons. Great find!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Devonrex, I'll bet that spoon will clean up quite well with some aluminum jelly--I've had very good success with it on spoons. Great find!

That method will probably work, but be careful and just try the jelly on a very small spot on the back at first as I've occasionally had the tinning/gilt dissolve completely upon application. That very likely won't happen, but better to be safe than sorry.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well that's interesting Bill--thank you. And what about "shoulders" on the handle of a spoon--any function other than decorative? When did they first appear? I recently unearthed a larger, what appears to be pewter or a pewter alloy, spoon at a Colonial site. Perhaps you can help me id it and nail down a time frame etc. BTW I recently completed an interesting article regarding Colonial artifacts that will be published in the next local historical society newsletter. Please PM me your email address again and I'd be happy to send you a copy if you'd like to see it. I always enjoy your articles.

Not sure which spoon handle you're referring to Erik. If you can be a little more specific maybe I can help. And I'm not sure what you mean by "shoulders".

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Nice recoveries John. The spoon is a killer find. I found several of those early Eagle A's on the peninsula, always one of my favorite buttons.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread