🥇 BANNER my best silver yet 1800 draped bust dime

Tony12100

Oct 14, 2013
Southern New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
UPDATE! NGC coin grade has arrived...AU details Stained. 2662135-001

So tonight after work I grabbed the 3030 and braved the tick and fly infested forest that I enjoy hunting. I invested in a head bug net. Great purchase it worked very well. So I got to detecting and it wasn't to long before I got a nice silver hit. Dug this awesome 1800 draped bust dime. Wow! I can't stop looking at it. Was a few other flat buttons and what looked like a worn to the flat draped half cent copper.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20150529_221023.png
    ForumRunner_20150529_221023.png
    506.5 KB · Views: 1,628
  • ForumRunner_20150529_221034.png
    ForumRunner_20150529_221034.png
    512.4 KB · Views: 1,151
Last edited:
Upvote 61

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Tony could post a more focused pic of the reverse that would help. I think I see the mark, to the left of the "A", that Breen is talking about. It's a VERY SMALL horizontal line, just below and left of the crossbar in the "A" in STATES. It's only about the size of the head of a pin. Almost an extension of the crossbar. If the poster has a magnifying glass, I'm sure he can see it. This, along with the weight of the coin, would determine it's authenticity. Hopefully he can repost a better pic. Thanks......Hogge P.S. I'm not trying to cause controversy on this post, just trying to validate the coins' authenticity without it costing him time and $ thinking he has a $2-3000 coin. Disappointment really sucks! Been there.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the link to my find and it made the banner so no reason yours wouldn't........my vote is in........a small club and you are now a member, really awesome!!

1800 Draped Bust Dime!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, if helpful, mine came back VF35 Environmental Damage........great, great coin, very happy for you!

HH all!

Greg
That was a nice coin Greg. Only problem is , yours was a Davis-1....Narrow "A's". His variety would be a Davis-2 with wide "A's" If, in fact, it actually is. People on this site only see what they want to see. Take a closer look at something, and they may see what they don't want to see. The key to knowledge is research. Everyone seems to be patting each other on the back here, when the issue is still in doubt.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TONY TONY WOW THE DIME IS NOT PHONEY, I WOULD STARE AT IT TOO, FOR ITS A PRETTY PEICE OF MONEY.VANZUTPHEN

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
That was a nice coin Greg. Only problem is , yours was a Davis-1....Narrow "A's". His variety would be a Davis-2 with wide "A's" If, in fact, it actually is. People on this site only see what they want to see. Take a closer look at something, and they may see what they don't want to see. The key to knowledge is research. Everyone seems to be patting each other on the back here, when the issue is still in doubt.

Thanks Todd.....now I will admit I am a little fuzzy on how counterfeits were made back in the day but I can tell you that we both have the same die chip between the 1 and 8 in the date. I also believe that all 1800 Draped Bust Dimes used the same obverse die with this same die chip but again, I don't know if that would help prove it's authentic or not......

HH all!

Greg

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
This belongs on the Banner as either authentic or contemporary counterfeit. I can't wait to see the results.

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can clearly see the crossbar in the "A" overlapping the left line in these photos. And as far as the patina goes, I've dug silvers that looked exactly the same. Kind of that dull chalky look. I thought I had hit a fake silver before because of this. But my coin wasn't valuable either way, so I cleaned it, and the shine came right back. It was found in extremely dry, salty soil, with low moisture. I believe that's why it looked dull and chalky. Anyways, I think you have the real thing brother. Passes the sniff test in my eyes. Congrats again.

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I....what was I saying? Lost my train of thought when I looked at it again. Awesome:occasion14:

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, how is this not a banner find or do I dare ask.........I haven't read through the comments

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a beautiful early american silver...

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep coming back to this post to drool at the pictures.... probably a dozen times since its been posted! It would be a lot easier for me to keep re-finding the post if it was up top. :icon_thumleft:

Congratulations on an incredible find!

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unbelievable! This should have made banner on day one! Hang in there Tony. It will come soon enough. My 1805 5 berries dime failed because of bad pics I think. That is one heck of a find. Keep hunting that area. Gotta be more goods there.

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kept looking at your pic and I think if u can get better ones of the front and back you will be seeing it floating across the screen real soon. Put a magnifier in front of the main lens. That works well for me,

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a fantastic find. I'm very happy for you and glad to see this little piece of history recovered so that we can enjoy it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread