๐Ÿฅ‡ BANNER my best silver yet 1800 draped bust dime

Tony12100

Oct 14, 2013
Southern New Jersey
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
UPDATE! NGC coin grade has arrived...AU details Stained. 2662135-001

So tonight after work I grabbed the 3030 and braved the tick and fly infested forest that I enjoy hunting. I invested in a head bug net. Great purchase it worked very well. So I got to detecting and it wasn't to long before I got a nice silver hit. Dug this awesome 1800 draped bust dime. Wow! I can't stop looking at it. Was a few other flat buttons and what looked like a worn to the flat draped half cent copper.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20150529_221023.png
    ForumRunner_20150529_221023.png
    506.5 KB · Views: 1,629
  • ForumRunner_20150529_221034.png
    ForumRunner_20150529_221034.png
    512.4 KB · Views: 1,152
Last edited:
Upvote 61

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find Tony! As soon as I write this my Banner vote is going in! You just don't see early Draped Bust dimes being found. The low mintage combined with the fact that many were melted down for bullion, and for industrial purposes (by silver smiths), and replaced with worn under weight Spanish Silver coins means there are very few left. There are probably only a couple hundred of those still in existence. And the condition of yours is amazing! Keep us posted on the grading results.

Welcome to the Draped Bust dime club! Very few people have dug them. Somehow I have managed to dig two of them, A 16 star 1797 and an 1803, but neither of mine is in very good condition.

Attachments

• Draped Bust Dimes Front.jpg
    Draped Bust Dimes Front.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 141

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome find Tony! As soon as I write this my Banner vote is going in! You just don't see early Draped Bust dimes being found. The low mintage combined with the fact that many were melted down for bullion, and for industrial purposes (by silver smiths), and replaced with worn under weight Spanish Silver coins means there are very few left. There are probably only a couple hundred of those still in existence. And the condition of yours is amazing! Keep us posted on the grading results.

Welcome to the Draped Bust dime club! Very few people have dug them. Somehow I have managed to dig two of them, A 16 star 1797 and an 1803, but neither of mine is in very good condition.

Dang Steve - I didn't know you'd dug 2 of those. I'm jealous man! BTW - what's up with the 16 stars?

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jwp1964

Dec 18, 2014
Maryville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Lite, Garrett Freedom Ace Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find! Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
BANNER!!!! That would be the find of a lifetime for most people:notworthy:, one find I can only dream of digging.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holey moley that dime is extremely beautiful, be sure to give us an update when it comes back from the graders. Definitely a banner find, congratulations on a super rare and high-grade draped dime!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!
One of only 21,760.

Banner IMO

Sorry to ask is there a fresh Scratch on it's face.?

OP
OP
Tony12100

Tony12100

Oct 14, 2013
Southern New Jersey
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
I'm usually dig a perfect plug as the pinpoint on the 3030 is usually right on. I guess maybe a rock or something brushed it. It's mild but yes its fresh.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man Tony that thing is incredibly well detailed. How'd you go about cleaning that beauty? I wish you had taken dirty pics. I love seeing the before and after photos to see the incredible difference. Actually the dirty pic of my pine tree shilling is my favorite pic. Really happy for Ya bud. Very few of us will ever pull one of those. Except for Steve who thinks he needs 2 of em. He's a lil bit greedy lol

OP
OP
Tony12100

Tony12100

Oct 14, 2013
Southern New Jersey
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Actually not real cleaning at all. Just a water rinse with very very light wet q tip. I did the same to the 1820 cap bust qtr. I dug and came back NGC AU 50. Just no rubbing of Any sort

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You gotta love it when someone digs a capped bust dime, many congrats! I hope my banner vote helps put you up top. BTW, the macro mode on your camera (with the flower icon) might help you take clearer photos.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually not real cleaning at all. Just a water rinse with very very light wet q tip. I did the same to the 1820 cap bust qtr. I dug and came back NGC AU 50. Just no rubbing of Any sort

No "Environmental Details" on that 1820 CB, Very Cool , Just don't tell them it was Dug. lol

After Scrolling down in the post , I saw your better pictures , The mark is not bad at all , It look like the marks I've got on Silver Coins from moving the dirt with my foot.
Just goes to show 'Always dig with Care cause you never Know'

The Coin is Beautiful , I'm just way to OCD.
Banner all the Way.
Davers

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's the beauty of silver my friend. It's either nice or it's not. No screwing with hp and tin foil and boiling water and distilled water and .....ok you get the picture. Well done man. It should get a nice high grade

Last edited:

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still thinking about that coin! I voted banner as well! Incredible!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The raised mark should be on the 1st verticle line in "A' in STATES. Meaning that the crossbar is "on top" of the first line in the "A". (I Think) :thumbsup: The weight should be 2.70 GRAMS! EXACTLY! If it ain't......It ain't authentic.

Do you know whether any of the counterfeits of this coin have the same or similar Off-Center Strike? I ask because the O.P's coin was struck off-center! I have seen cast counterfeits where the mold was made from a coin that was struck off-center but you don't see this very often.

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats to the O.P. on a super nice find! I hope it is genuine but at the same time feel that it is! My Banner vote is going in.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread