May 8, 2015
Detroit, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 2 with carbon fiber shaft and upgrades
Minelab Vanquish 540(won it!)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick dirt fishing trip at a play ground by the house. 4 quarters, 4 dimes, 4 pennies, 1 nickel, what looks like a broken rosary, a button, a rabbit earring (detected as gold 39, might be plated), a 17 caliber bullet, a dolphin charm, a butterfly charm (detected as silver 65).

But the best is the 11 squares in the middle. They are charms from a bracelet or necklace and the detector says they are gold. Very heavy. If they are gold, they are 10k. The were all in a 2 ft area. First time I found more than one charm. They detected between 48 and 50.

Also, still not finding nickels at Pro Zero, Iron 37

11391262_10204264978375170_6056855769893635327_n.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 2

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best way to tell is with a gold acid testing kit. Nice haul there ! :occasion14:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice day hunting!! A metal detector cannot tell you if an item is gold, there are many alloys that will read the same as gold to any metal detector. Most gold charms will carry a gold karat stamp, if they do not have one they are likely not gold. It is the law that all items of precious metal made for sale be marked with the precious metal content. Items made by students or others not meant for sale need not be marked. You can get them tested at most pawn or jewelry stores to be sure. Don't worry about not finding nickels, you just haven't put your coil over one yet, your detector will not miss them.

Last edited:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's sounds to me like you have nickels notched out - get some nickels , take them to your favorite dirt patch , bury them
at different depths - should help you figure out what's going on with nickels .

(I don't know the AT Pro's numbers or I would have talked specifics with you )

Last edited:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nics should be 52, 53 and no bounce. but beware the 2 slot rectangle pulltabs which pretend to be nics and the very weak 53 that can be a .22LR casing. 1 week and counting with the PRO. Carolina Tom gave a tip to run Pro Zero with 2 to 3 bars and ground balance between the growl and whistle, this area is usually about 80 to 85. still learning the Pro but yesterday was a mix of copper cents, nics, dimes and qtrs for $5.19 plus a few caps & tabs. my heavy 14K ring shows as consistent 53-55 bounce. HH

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold and silver on any day is good!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions