Nov 13, 2013
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
at pro
etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this at a small tear out at an elementary school. It was made for a 1915-1917 Indian chief bicycle. Came up as a 12-46 on the etrac. Not silver but still a pretty cool find.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435678710.017688.jpg

Upvote 62

BcuttinPlugs

Mar 6, 2014
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/fisher f2 garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just go to the top post and click on the "Nominate Banner" button and put it a reason why you think it's a banner find.

Your badge is so neat, that's why this hobby is so great, you just never know whats next. I don't know how you vote here, but my vote is in for the banner? Nice Find.

OP
OP
eu4ia

eu4ia

Nov 13, 2013
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
at pro
etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone. And thanks for the banner votes. Like someone mentioned you never know what you're going to find. It's stuff like this that definitely makes detecting fun.

BcuttinPlugs

Mar 6, 2014
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think yours is in better shape. It cleaned up nice. I still have some crust on mine. Any suggestion how clean it?

I just used a tooth brush and good ole water.. I would suggest the same way maybe alittle vinegar. My pic does look better but, once you get urs cleaned up I know it will shine. Urs def. has more of the porcelain. Trust me, mine didn't look so good when I first dug it either. Oh btw, it wasn't a one shot n clean deal. I cleaned it several times over a period of days hah. Mostly cu I liked looking and showing it off. Every Time I looked at it I noticed it could be cleaned more. That's how I got it looking as nice as it was. Again awesome find congrats.

BcuttinPlugs

Mar 6, 2014
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget to post pics when you get it cleaned up. I know it's gonna look awesome. Maybe you can do alittle LIGHT electrolysis on it. It will remove what looks like rust on urs. Like I said u have so much color left I know it will look great. WAY better then mine l.

OP
OP
eu4ia

eu4ia

Nov 13, 2013
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
at pro
etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just used a tooth brush and good ole water.. I would suggest the same way maybe alittle vinegar. My pic does look better but, once you get urs cleaned up I know it will shine. Urs def. has more of the porcelain. Trust me, mine didn't look so good when I first dug it either. Oh btw, it wasn't a one shot n clean deal. I cleaned it several times over a period of days hah. Mostly cu I liked looking and showing it off. Every Time I looked at it I noticed it could be cleaned more. That's how I got it looking as nice as it was. Again awesome find congrats.

Thanks for the info

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really nice old find.
I've never seen one before and had no idea how valuable they were.

You just never know with this hobby do you??
congrats.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A bit of warm (to the touch) hydrogen peroxide might help to loosen the crud. I'd probably try that before the vinegar. Keep an eye on it. Also I can't imagine a little baking soda on the toothbrush would hurt it. The straight vinegar might be a final resort to loosening the green crud. It did wonders on a livery button I found in England that was barely recognizable due to encrustation:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...-livery-button-griffin-cleaning-progress.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/313020-cleaned-livery-button-griffin.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
eu4ia

eu4ia

Nov 13, 2013
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
at pro
etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here it is cleaned up a little
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1438109976.400113.jpg

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks really nice! Great job on the cleaning! And thanks for the follow-up pic.

Please describe the cleaning method(s) you chose. I re-iterate that I think it's a Banner find!

Last edited:
S

stefen

Where was it positioned on the Bicycle?
(if you don't mind)

Positioned on the motorcycle gooseneck between the handlebar and the top of the front wheel fork...same as on bicycles.

Indian bicycle and motorcycle badges are extremely rare and depending on age, could command a high price...like its weight in gold...

Last edited:

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's cool looking

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DANG HOW DID I MISS THIS POST. NICE LOOKING HONEST INJUN BADGE.

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm voting banner because of the uniqueness and rarity of the item. Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
eu4ia

eu4ia

Nov 13, 2013
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
at pro
etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks really nice! Great job on the cleaning! And thanks for the follow-up pic.

Please describe the cleaning method(s) you chose. I re-iterate that I think it's a Banner find!

Thanks for the banner vote.
I used a Q-tip and very little dabbed some rust remover just on the areas that had the crust build up and let it set for couple of minutes. Then used hot water and a medium, stiff, plastic brush to scrub the crust away. It took a couple of applications. What little I used was able to bring back the brass color in some areas just enough without over doing it. Some of the other methods mentioned didn't work on this particular piece. Maybe not the ideal method but it seemed to work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread