A Tale of 2 Silvers (One Being 340 Years Old!)

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got permission for a new site on Thursday which I knew was just loaded with potential. It's on a hill over a river in the heart of Acadian and Loyalist territory. I only had an hour on Thursday so I combed the site but didn't immediately find an actual site. I picked up several flat buttons and lots of lead so I knew I was in the neighbourhood. This morning I had a couple hours before family obligations so I went back to start where I left off on Thursday.

First target was this partially squashed sporting button...good start but not quite old enough...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437841193.050900.jpg

After another 20 minutes without anything except some horse tack I got that unmistakeable silver tone. Very carefully I dug the target and I see the gleam of silver in the hole. Images of Spanish silver start flashing in my head until I pull the 1963 silver dime.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437842473.944748.jpg

I hate being on an old site and pulling modern silver...very bittersweet. Dauntless I keep detecting and just as I'm about to wrap it up for the day I get another decent tone...not as high as the silver dime but still in that silver range. Once again I carefully dig my hole and see what I immediately know is old silver...it's got that old silver tone that we all look for...and sure enough it's a 1675 French silver 4 Sol...just what I was hoping to find! Even has a very nice lustre that I have not seen on this type of coin before.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437841929.558019.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437841956.791391.jpg

A return trip is definitely in my near future...luckily it's quite a large area so it should keep me busy for a while!

Last edited:
Upvote 54
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love the toning on that one. You see it on Morgan's, but I don't remember seeing it on a coin as old as yours. Great find! Hope you get many more nice ones like that. PS, I like the sporting button too. Looks like a cheetah?

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Great going Romeo! That's a very early and rarely seen French silver, and one that just doesn't turn up down my way at all. Looks to have outstanding detail and should clean up quite nicely. I'm envious man!!

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the toning on that one. You see it on Morgan's, but I don't remember seeing it on a coin as old as yours. Great find! Hope you get many more nice ones like that. PS, I like the sporting button too. Looks like a cheetah?

I like the sporting button too! I was quite content when I dug that and knew I was on the right track! I think you're right...a cheetah...

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great going Romeo! That's a very early and rarely seen French silver, and one that just doesn't turn up down my way at all. Looks to have outstanding detail and should clean up quite nicely. I'm envious man!!

High praise considering your signature line list...thank you!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Your button probably falls under the category of livery buttons. The tail looks like a lion's, but the head doesn't look quite right (but maybe its for a female). You can check some similar ones out in the link below to see for yourself. Just scroll down to the lions about 2/3s down the page.

liverybuttons

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your button probably falls under the category of livery buttons. The tail looks like a lion's, but the head doesn't look quite right (but maybe its for a female). You can check some similar ones out in the link below to see for yourself. Just scroll down to the lions about 2/3s down the page.

liverybuttons

What exactly is the difference between a Livery button and a Sporting button? I called mine a Sporting button because the backmark is actually "Sporting New Designs".

Last edited:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My gosh romeo, what a beautiful looking coin! :occasion14:

Man you're so lucky to have such rich history in your part of the country! :thumbsup:

Dave

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much for sharing your history. I would have never known about a coin like that.. Awesome job

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice narrative in making the jump the modern silver to near oldest silver that you can get. 17th century silver is hard to get. That's one majestic looking coin. :o

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What exactly is the difference between a Livery button and a Sporting button? I actually called mine a Sporting button because the backmark is actually "Sporting New Designs".

The livery buttons I've found bore crests of the families that lived on the plantations I've detected on so they probably represented a family or company. Sporting buttons were just that....they represented the sport or the hunt club. I've found livery buttons with birds on them so I thought they were sporting buttons but I found out the bird was a crow and it was symbolic of the family who owned the property so I guess it could get confusing, lol.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Btw you've got my Banner vote bud. If a 1600s silver coin in gorgeous condition isn't worthy what the hell is? That toning is incredible. Making me wanna get to a nice 17th century site ASAP 8-)

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an untouched spot for sure! Nice looking pieces!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was quite surprised with the rainbow tone...not sure if that is environmental or remaining lustre...whatever it is it's quite appealing!

Pretty sure that's all toning and not mint lustre. Something in the ground had an effect on it, not sure what, but came out nice. It's uncommon to see lustre on any dug coin, even one 1/4 as old. There was one posted recently on the Canadian forum that had it, and it did because it was protected by other coins, and wasn't very old. (early 1900s)

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure that's all toning and not mint lustre. Something in the ground had an effect on it, not sure what, but came out nice. It's uncommon to see lustre on any dug coin, even one 1/4 as old. There was one posted recently on the Canadian forum that had it, and it did because it was protected by other coins, and wasn't very old. (early 1900s)

Yeah, that makes sense.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Given the area you live in any good looking field holds a lot if potential, you've just proven the point.
Very nice old French coin, a favourite find of many east coasters!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That one must be up there as the best find this year?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

liverybuttons

Have to disagree with that. Its what I call a Hunts Button, but you say sporting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread