May 31, 2015
Bennington Vermont
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20150725_230007.jpg

IMG_20150725_230106.jpg

Got a new permission... Was walking towards a stump to a tree that must have been quite old.... On the way dug up a modern dime and bullet casing... This was the 3rd signal... A copper penny signal at 2" inches with my white's coinmaster.... While I was scraping the bottom of the plug with my fingers I thought "probably a early memorial.... Then out popped this beauty... The thing that makes it rare is the large "o" mint mark.... Unknown as to how many were minted like this

Upvote 35

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding find. The patina on it and the detail that remains is beautiful. I would be very proud to find that coin. Congrats!

I like that Patina/ look on my old Silver coins way better than the like new look.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. No, just from the photos, I would say it's VF Details (improperly cleaned, scratches). This minor variant of the Seated Liberty dime is not well known and the demand is low. A true collector may pay about $200 as-is (not slabbed and damaged). Hey, don't get me wrong, this is a wonderful find! Congrats! If you do decide to sell it, please keep us informed!

aj

A Pawn Shop Owner IMO. LOL

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THAT IS A SPIFFY LOOKING COIN . LOOKS FRESHLY MINTED.

mack0238

May 10, 2015
Rochester, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in love with that coin.

Who cares what it's really worth... finding it and showing it is the treasure. You'll never forget the exact time, day, and adrenaline that it gave you!

In the words of Indiana Jones "I do it for the GLORY.... It's all about the GLORY!"

Cheers to you my friend,

-Pete

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stand corrected...you're looking at around $200!

aj

I pretty much agree with ajaj A dealer IMO would likely pay $200-$300 For such a "Raw-(Unauthenticated) Coin.
BUT
I would never sell it , I would love to dig That Coin in that Condition.
Davers

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a few minutes today so I called and talked to Gerry Fortin. Here's the analysis...............They paired this obverse die SEVERAL times, back and forth with the small"0" reverse and large "0" reverse. Making die varieties,( from Fortin), 107, 107a, 108, 108a, and 109. 109 being severely cracked reverse. This is called a "lapped" die, or switching back and forth. Vectors coin is an early state, 108, resulting in stars 1-3, and the date, being somewhat bolder than other examples of the same variety. So, from an EXPERT, he confirmed my analysis. Is there a premium for such a coin........NO! Even though it is a somewhat rarer variety, it is still classified as very scarce. NOT extremely rare. If it was MS or AU it would carry a premium but NOT in the condition the poster has found it in. (don't ask because we didn't get into grade on Vectors coin). Gerry does have an MS example on his website for $925. Vectors coin is nowhere near that. Saw a posting where someone said between $2-300 range. (being closer to $200). IMO, in it's condition, that would be about it. Sending it away for grading........A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY! But, as usual.....the "slabbers" and "graders", will disagree! What do I know anyways.:BangHead: Hogge

OP
OP
V

VTector87

May 31, 2015
Bennington Vermont
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was Gerry's reply to me regarding my coin.....I'll try to post a screen shot as well to prove the message was from him

Hi Corey. This is the Huge O variety and grades VF30 but has been cleaned. You might have to downgrade to F15 on the guides to get correct price. Lots of F-108 has hit the market during past 10 years and very difficult to sell at historical premium. Gerry

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME!!! Congratulations! I also found my first one this year, enjoy it! It's in nice shape and nice early date. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions