May 31, 2015
Bennington Vermont
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20150725_230007.jpg

IMG_20150725_230106.jpg

Got a new permission... Was walking towards a stump to a tree that must have been quite old.... On the way dug up a modern dime and bullet casing... This was the 3rd signal... A copper penny signal at 2" inches with my white's coinmaster.... While I was scraping the bottom of the plug with my fingers I thought "probably a early memorial.... Then out popped this beauty... The thing that makes it rare is the large "o" mint mark.... Unknown as to how many were minted like this

Upvote 35

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet seated!!

I just found my first seated too a couple weeks ago and mine is in Awesome shape like yours!!

Congrats!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find there! Seated dimes are always awesome. Although the money doesn't matter, you're looking at a nice $60 dollar coin. Congrats!

aj

If you look at the link and do a side screen shot you'll see what the OP is referring to in his explanation of the rarity of this dime.
1839 O Seated Liberty Dimes Reverse of 1838 O Type 2 - Stars on Obverse - No Drapery: Value and Prices
Great recovery on the Seated silver, and having it been rare and in such fine shape, you hit a home run.:occasion14:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah , A lot of us (myself included ) ran and got our Redbooks - and since we didn't see the rare variety (Large O) We
just looked at the values and mintage numbers for the normal 1839-0 and 40 , 50 , 60 bucks is what you see - I'd like
somebody who has an up to date online grade /value for this variety to weigh in here - Looks like the obverse could slide VF ,
but the reverse to me looks like F. Anybody ?

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is it weird to call a dime gorgeous? oh well if it is weird cause that's what im calling that one!, man that's a nice looking seated
congrats!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent shape for its age and large mint mark!

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great coin I love when people pull rare good condition coins from the ground. I have myself so has drtones24k as well and some other people on here too. It's always nice to know that those are out there. Great job! And I don't ur sitting on 200 prolly more of a range of 400-800 usually dug coins have some "environmental damange ". Talk to Frank (Huntsman53) he will give you the best estimate from my POV at least...

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you thinking the grade is less than good?

Hi. No, just from the photos, I would say it's VF Details (improperly cleaned, scratches). This minor variant of the Seated Liberty dime is not well known and the demand is low. A true collector may pay about $200 as-is (not slabbed and damaged). Hey, don't get me wrong, this is a wonderful find! Congrats! If you do decide to sell it, please keep us informed!

aj

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Outstanding find. The patina on it and the detail that remains is beautiful. I would be very proud to find that coin. Congrats!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any seated is great in my book. The 1839 O with no stars would be a pretty tough one!

M_d_in_guy

Jan 12, 2015
Jasper, Ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ATGOLD
Garrett pro pointer
Fiskars digger
Primary Interest:
Other
congrats on an awesome find. I'd check populations through TPG's on the variety, often with a rare variety a collector will look beyond lets say scratches and still offer a good price in order to fill a hole in their variety set. I think the coin is worth way more than some of the prices mentioned. IMO. Cheers and congrats to a great find.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Find! The guys' name to get in touch with is GERRY FORTIN. His contact info is 207-329-9957 or email @ [email protected]. He is THE utmost authority on seated dimes. According to the variety, I will tentatively ID it through his table as variety #108. Obverse 5-Reverse F. DEFINITELY an EARLY die state of this example (Ahwash-7) in Breens. His comments are as follows: Obverse 5 is initially paired with small "o" reverse B and that die pairing is designated as variety 107. Examples from variety 107 can be found with reasonably strong obverse 5 details. However, it appears that obverse 5 is lapped between small "O" and Huge"O" reverse die pairings. When paired with the huge "O" reverse, obverse 5 exhibits weak date, in combination with, weak stars 1-3. This is a SCARCE VARIETY that is occasionally seen despite high historical premiums in Coin Worlds Price Guide. Since 2010, the author has noticed an elevated number of specimens entering the market with most grading VG-VF. Original and problem free examples grading full EF or better remain rare. Gerry actually has an example on the website for sale. I believe that this is an early die state example for several reasons. Only the third star is weak at the bottom point. Although the date is somewhat weak, it is very pronounced, indicating very early die combination. Although slightly worn at several points, I believe it could command a premium just because of the early die state condition. I would call Gerry Fortin, and send a pic of this coin to him. I'm sure he will be HIGHLY interested in seeing a pic of this, as it "kind of" contradicts, somewhat, his comments as regards to weak strike of obverse "5" when paired with reverse-"F". Your coin is evidence of this. I'm 100% sure I have Id'ed the variety correctly! Hogge GOOD LUCK!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions