Civil War Cavalry Brass (weekend Hunt)

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Summer is always very busy, however I am always looking for an opportunity to dig, the last one coming 3 months ago. My birthday was last week and my wife decided we needed a family trip so we headed out to a small town near one of my digging sites. My 6 year old son Jackson and I spent a good part of Saturday exploring and stumbled into a small Cavalry firepit. The pit was loaded with nails and glass which is a good sign, however we usually find buttons, not bit bosses. Anyway, it was a pleasant surprise to see some unique brass surface. The homemade Iron star was mixed in with the other finds. I would like to believe some Texas trooper made it for his hat or uniform, however we will never know. The spencer cartridge also came to light in perfect condition and is quite rare for this site. The next day my wife and daughter Savannah drove with us to the site for lunch and another bit boss surfaced in the very short time I spent scraping around. Never too early to pass the passion on to the next generation I suppose. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_3584a.jpg
    IMG_3584a.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_3565a.jpg
    IMG_3565a.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3562a.jpg
    IMG_3562a.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_3547a.jpg
    IMG_3547a.jpg