FUGIO CENT UPDATE: THE GRADING VERDICT IS IN!

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As promised...I am providing everyone who has been watching this thread with an update on my Fugio cent. The coin is on route back to me as I type this...

Here is some info from an e-mail from ANACS:

Date Denom Grade Variety Superlative
1787 1C VF FUGIO K-4E BR

The variety is also known as a Newman 4E...which I believe some posters suggested.

Redbook value is I believe around $2000.00 U.S...of course it would never fetch that at auction...but it beats a $50.00 coin!

Thanks everyone for your interest and comments on this coin. Certainly my best coin find to date! The second best being a very rare blacksmith token.

not on Canadian soil at least!

I escaped the house again today, but only for an hour...I was actually out trying to help out a guy that wanted some tips and tricks on collecting indian artifacts and arrowheads. He wanted pointers on what to look for and where to look.

I figured I would go along, help out where I can, and maybe find an arrowhead or two...

we hit a little plateau near the river. The field had JUST been plowed, and not rained on yet...so visibility sucked, and I wasn't expecting to find much.

As I walked up the crest of a little knoll, I noticed a piece of glass...then another....about 4 in total...then there it was, laying flat on the surface....and I knew from 10 feet away it was a coin. However, I didn't know what it was, as it was caked with dirt and crust. I put it in my pocket and decided to wait to clean it up and home and check it out.

Over the next little bit I found two nice old flat buttons, one pewter, crusty, but I can make out a design. The other silver plated.

Anyhow, I was shocked when I got it home and cleaned it up. I knew instantly what I had, as these coins are hard not to recognize. The first American penny ever made :) I'm pumped! I am not sure if it is damaged, or if it was perhaps a die flaw??? It doesn't really seem like later damage to me.

Again, these finds were eyeballed in a field where not much was showing as it hasn't been rained on yet. I can't wait to get back there with my detector and see what I can find!!

Upvote 0

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Re: I never thought I would find one of these!!!!

Nice find

gregd573

Oct 23, 2005
eldridge, missouri

Great find abd here's a little Red Book 2006 reading for ya. Hope this helps.......keep us in the loop on your other finds......green with envy here.....gregd573..

Attachments

• old coin 001.jpg
    old coin 001.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 5,596
  • old coin 003.jpg
    old coin 003.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 5,533

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

I just have the redbook, and I'm no expert on the different varieties, but it appears to me you have the 1787 with club rays, rounded ends. VF it goes for $2400. F it goes for $1000. Your's is more than likely one of those two figures. Way nice find, again.... :)

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am not sure where the Redbook comes up with those prices, they are very high. There are two types of round end club rays, 3D and 4E. The 3D is the rarer of the two, but that price is high even for the 3D. I found a nice Fine 4E, much nicer than this piece that sold for $518 and a Choice VF for $1600. I would say this one is probably VG. Fugios don't seem to be found very often in comparison to the state coppers and yours is a beauty. The club rays are usually in low grade with poor surfaces so yours is nicer than the average one. Great find, definitely a keeper!

Smokey

Feb 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Discovery 1100

That's a nice find!!!
Down here at the mexican border with south texas I found yesterday a 1965 1 Cent from Canada burried 5" deep.

55TXBANDIT

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

insert posting to beat the dead horse ;D ;)

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sweet ! A friend of mine found a Fugio last year,We also were looking for arrowheads.We started finding glass brick etc.,came back with the detectors and found lots of goodies ! I'll bet you do the same !Good luck,sounds like a great spot to search ! ;D

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x

Great find wess,I've never seen one before,WTG!! Bootstrap

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Wow, that is some coin! I'd never even heard of it before; there is always something to learn here.

Eljeef

Greenie
Apr 26, 2005
The elephant's snout.
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Fisher Aquanaut 1280x, White's Coinmaster 6000

8) Just had to chime in. Way to go Wess. See you later. I have my own spot to look for points. I think I should make the effort and actually go looking. ::)

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks folks...and good luck Jeff! Let me know if you need some pointers :D

R

RUDY2003

Just wanted to say SPECTACULAR FIND!!!!!!!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Great loyalist find! When those folks moved up to Canada they took many great early colonial items with them. Over the years I've purchased nice early colonial coppers from a Canadian coinshooter. He finds lots of them at the loyalist camps.

Best to you and congrats on the super find.

Badger

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wes, excellent find "North of the Border" :) I spent some time last night looking at my colonial coin auction catalogs and some on-line auction prices (NOT e-bay).

Since collectors are finicky about corrosion, and color and such, even in the Federation era coins, I will give my opinion on what I think it might graded as and possible worth.
My estimates are only amaueter estimates and don't take it to the bank on what I say, but I am fairly certain I am in the ballpark.

Yes, it is a N.4-E, I really do not see much difference on the Club Ray side from the N-3.D which is more common than the E that you have found but when I compared photos of a 3.D against a 4.E, I did notice the one ray going to the star above the date, goes more directly closer to the center of the star and on the 3.D is goes to the lower side, so that was enough difference for me to agree on the 4.E attribution.

I looked at an colonial coin auction that was held this past December and also at some other online auctions. There were two 4.E's in that auction and one did not sell, and the other one went for over 900 dollars. One was a VF40, but with environmental damage (microscopic roughness under an olive tone patina) and that one did not sell. The other one that sold for over 900 dollars, was a VF20, but had a glossy light to medium brown toning and only one tiny mark. It seems eye appeal is a lot of this series selling.

I do not think your coin would grade higher than VF20, more likely a Fine grade with environmental damage and rim damage and some downing for the void on it. Very hard to tell overall condition from the photo.

Not knowing much more about Fugio's but going from what I have seen on the auctions, your's could vary greatly and be anywhere from 150 -600, maybe more, but I would stay more on the conservative lower side of that guesstimate on my part.

I think you have found a beautiful piece, I know the condition is rather good for a ground found and it would look good in any of our collections.

Don

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks again everyone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread