Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Walked onto the site turned on the F22 and started swinging. This was in my first hole. I don't know what it is yet but I'm pretty sure it's old, silver and hand engraved. I'm sure someone can tell me what it is pretty quick. I can't complain about my silver coin drought with finds like this one though

EDIT: This has been identified. It's called a Pomander and here is a link to more info and a similar piece

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomander

https://books.google.com/books?id=p...page&q=pomander drake collection pear&f=false

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    955.2 KB · Views: 853
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 602
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    449.3 KB · Views: 596
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    481.9 KB · Views: 584
Last edited:
Upvote 62
OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've finally found a picture online of a pomander similar to mine. It doesn't appear to have the engraving work like mine but the shape and number of compartments is the same. It is indeed 18th century though it does state that dating them is difficult because due to their small size and intricate design they could avoid taxes/duties thus no hallmarks. Hope this link works. It's from a book on google books entitled " Nurturing Yesterday's Child: A Portrayal of the Drake Collection of Paediatric History " on page 196. The drake collection is in the hands of the Ontario Museum

https://books.google.com/books?id=YN_KXT64J6wC&pg=PA196&dq=silver+pomander+pear+shaped&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAGoVChMIl5O5m6WYxwIVRGs-Ch0F0As7#v=onepage&q=silver%20pomander%20pear%20shaped&f=false

Last edited:

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Toasted, that is one of the most awsome pieces I have ever seen on here.
That is definitely a Banner find.
Congrats.
George

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good God that is one exceptional find!!!!! Huge congratulations! What a unique and personal piece!!!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it had only one chamber, your piece would be called a nutmeg grater. With multiple chambers, it becomes a pomander.

Looks to be coin silver. The engraving looks pretty early, but I'd need a few better pictures to try to draw any conclusions. It is almost certainly 18th century, but I'd need to examine it more closely to know for certain.

The fact that it is unmarked makes it very likely that the piece is American. That makes it very special indeed. May I ask where (in rough geographic terms) you found it? That might help me give you a little more detail.

Hey Toasted -- OWK really knows his stuff when it comes to early silver...get him better pics and dimensions and he'll nail a date for you! He was instrumental in cracking the mystery of the 18th C coin silver engraved spoon I found that was part of a wedding gift to a man from a prominent local family and his bride .

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This find is historically more significant than anything up on the banner right now. Put your votes in folks.....this is seriously a good one!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great period find - CONGRATS

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've finally found a picture online of a pomander similar to mine. It doesn't appear to have the engraving work like mine but the shape and number of compartments is the same. It is indeed 18th century though it does state that dating them is difficult because due to their small size and intricate design they could avoid taxes/duties thus no hallmarks. Hope this link works. It's from a book on google books entitled " Nurturing Yesterday's Child: A Portrayal of the Drake Collection of Paediatric History " on page 196. The drake collection is in the hands of the Ontario Museum

https://books.google.com/books?id=YN_KXT64J6wC&pg=PA196&dq=silver+pomander+pear+shaped&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAGoVChMIl5O5m6WYxwIVRGs-Ch0F0As7#v=onepage&q=silver%20pomander%20pear%20shaped&f=false

That's the one! I found it easy enough the first time, but I was ready to pull my hair out when I tried to find it again lol

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's no way that would have unscrewed unless it was either silver or silver plated brass. Is it heavy? If it's relatively light, it's silver. If it's heavy, it may be silver plated brass.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has a pomander every been posted on T-Net? How about a silver pomander? How about an 18th century, silver pomander? How about a ornate, 18th century, silver pomander? How about an ornate, 18th century, silver pomander in excellent condition. My vote is in for banner. This is an obvious banner find to me. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats a great period find - CONGRATS

Are pieces like this dug with more regularity across the pond and throughout Europe? Just trying to get an idea of its rarity because there is very little info online.

Last edited:

Gunny71

Jan 14, 2009
Texas by Gawd
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you vote banner in Tapatalk?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I added some close up pics at the top of this thread

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has a pomander every been posted on T-Net? How about a silver pomander? How about an 18th century, silver pomander? How about a ornate, 18th century, silver pomander? How about an ornate, 18th century, silver pomander in excellent condition. My vote is in for banner. This is an obvious banner find to me. :icon_thumleft:

No one knowing what it is at first doesn't help but should also point to its rarity

Last edited:
OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's no way that would have unscrewed unless it was either silver or silver plated brass. Is it heavy? If it's relatively light, it's silver. If it's heavy, it may be silver plated brass.

It is relatively light. I have been told it is most likely gilt silver and the new close up pictures tend to confirm this. These were owned only by the elite of colonial society

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just weighed it at 11.7 grams. That would interestingly put it just under the weight of a half crown/4 reale or half dollar if a little later. I know silversmiths melted down anything silver to make new silver items but more evidence for it being "coin" silver?

Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's so beautifully made I'd be willing to bet it's solid coin silver. I doubt they would go through the trouble of doing all of that hand engraving if it was just gilt.

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's so beautifully made I'd be willing to bet it's solid coin silver. I doubt they would go through the trouble of doing all of that hand engraving if it was just gilt.

What I meant to say is that it is solid silver with GOLD gilting. You can see its goldish hue in the pics

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It was not very common, but silver objects which were expected to come into contact with salt or other potentially corrosive things were sometimes fire-gilded to prevent pitting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread