Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, you read that right. If ya'll thought my stories couldn't get any crazier, today I found a dead baby alligator who was folded up and sewed into a purse. Inside him I found a 1941 Washington Quarter and a 1944 Wheat cent. Inside the flap there is a stamp that says "Made in Cuba". Must be a pre-embargo Cuban export. I really hope they don't make purses out of baby alligators anymore.

Would make a great addition to an oddities museum. :D When I first found it I actually jumped back a bit because the face was so real, hard to believe someone carried this scary thing around town once, I'm sure it must have scared a few children in its day. I was content with the alligator find by itself but as always I checked the inside. I was delighted to find the two coins wedged in the bottom, forgotten for 70 years or so, so cool. :icon_pirat:

Aligator treasure 3.jpg Aligator treasrue 2.jpg

Aligator Treasure.jpg Aligator treasure 4.jpg

Upvote 26

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MINER I HAVE NO COMMENT...................

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK , I'll bite... Where did you find this extraordinary bag ? (a bit of story would enrich this greatly )

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Odd but cool. Silver is silver

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find, but I agree with you that it's appalling that they killed an animal to make that thing.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got me! Lol!
Congrats on reaching into the Alligators mouth getting silver and a wheat, and coming out with all your fingers!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U continue to amaze with the crazy stuff you find

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recon most people avoided this obscure purse and it remained unopened over the decades. Most probably boxed up most of the time. Who'd ever think there were coins in it. Congrats on finding that silver quarter. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK , I'll bite... Where did you find this extraordinary bag ? (a bit of story would enrich this greatly )

Was just going about my day when I saw an old house with a for-sale sign on it and some things at the curb. Among other typical things there was a box of purses that caught my attention. As I looked through the purses I saw the alligator's mummified face and it made me jump. I checked all the other purses for cash/valuables but the alligator was the only one with something in it besides old crumpled paper. Funny thing is when I was driving home that song, You Can't Always Get What You Want (you get what you need), came on the radio, and I was like, this makes sense I guess :laughing7:

iloveshinythings

May 30, 2015
TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this may be shocking for silver hunters, but the find might actually be the purse.

People pay decent money for oddities like that.... :dontknow:

I'm not sure what you would want to sell it for, but looks to be the same bag as the one below

Vintage Genuine Alligator Leather Bag Purse Handbag RARE | eBay

or

this one

I'd go back and check out all those purses and SELL THE THINGS. Maybe you could buy a new coil?

Last edited:
OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this may be shocking to most, but the find might actually be the purse.

People pay decent money for oddities like that.... :dontknow:

I'm not sure it'll sell at that price, but looks to be the same bag.

Vintage Genuine Alligator Leather Bag Purse Handbag RARE | eBay

or

this one

Wow, those are some insane prices! Didn't even cross my mid that the alligator could be worth that much! I could sell it and buy a GOLD coin with the proceeds! :occasion14:

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That purse (and the coins) is a great find, definitely worth some good cash. Seems like the thing was put in storage by the late 40s. I hope you snagged the whole box, there could be some rare old designer purses in there worth obscene amounts. The fiancee has taught me to keep an eye open, you might be surprised what they'll fetch.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not into carrying a Purse :tongue3:
But besides sandwiches.... Cool Idea & use for Baby Gators :thumbsup:

Interesting Find too

Last edited:
OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That purse (and the coins) is a great find, definitely worth some good cash. Seems like the thing was put in storage by the late 40s. I hope you snagged the whole box, there could be some rare old designer purses in there worth obscene amounts. The fiancee has taught me to keep an eye open, you might be surprised what they'll fetch.

Snagged everything actually :laughing7: Just picked it all up, this was a good idea.
There was alot more stuff put out since this morning, will look through it tomorrow whenever I can, maybe find some gold... wouldn't be the first time :tongue3:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is one creepy looking purse, cool find inside!, I agree sell the purse and buy some gold!!

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the very interesting finds, but your story is a "crock"... :laughing7:...Sub

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Whatever. I would so walk around with that purse over my shoulder. I would keep my pinpointer, toothbrush, jeweler's loupe, etc, etc, it it!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool looking purse, hope it gives you a good return.

When I saw the title I thought it was a case of a Croc/Alligator found with a bunch of silver inside. Reminded me of the skeleton remains they have on display in the Indian Museum in Calcutta where they found kilos of silver jewelry inside of the beast, they figured it had eaten a dozen or more women.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread