Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best looking buffalo I've ever dug

I received a surprise permission/invitation to come and hunt a 150-ish year old funeral home's front lawn this afternoon, so I went down this evening and had a go at it with my 6" coil. It's got some potential for sure, as it's adjacent to a lot that used to be owned by George Washington himself, but it's loaded with junk. I pulled a buffalo nickel and two wheats tonight before I ran out of daylight, but I'm going to head back tomorrow or Friday with my big coil and see if it pulls anything deep out of the cleaner parts of the yard. Part of it has been filled, but the vast majority has not.

So even though this isn't super old, it's still a keeper find for me and it's by far the best looking buffalo nickel I've ever dug. Most of the ones I dig are red and worn out, usually with no date. This is with no cleaning aside from a toothpick rub to get the dirt off.

Attachments

• buffalo.jpeg
    buffalo.jpeg
    18.1 KB · Views: 116
Upvote 15

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I do believe that's the absolute best a buff could come out of the ground. When so many look like there were ran over, burned, and belt sanded, it's ways nice to find a good one.

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish the photo didn't suck so bad.... my phone is terrible for close-up photos, but it's so much of a pain in the butt to get my camera and tripod all set up just for a clean, still shot. If I wasn't so lazy this would be easier...haha

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a bit better

Attachments

• buffalo.jpeg
    buffalo.jpeg
    287.5 KB · Views: 83

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice buff. Congratulations

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dated buffs are nice finds

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice buffalo, :thumbsup: I am only averaging 1 per year.

GL hunting with the big coil. I use a 12" x 15" coil most of the time and haven't ever hunted in a real trashy site. My 5" DD coil has never been used yet.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He's certainly a nice one!!:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice buffalo, :thumbsup: I am only averaging 1 per year.

GL hunting with the big coil. I use a 12" x 15" coil most of the time and haven't ever hunted in a real trashy site. My 5" DD coil has never been used yet.

I had a really eye-opening experience this year not too long after I got my small coil. I was hunting a VERY trashy site (but old, where every high tone was "technically" trash but was always something interesting like a spoon piece or something). I hunted it multiple times with my stock coil and found nothing. I put my small coil on, turned my sensitivity down as far as it would go, and immediately started finding good targets that have been missed by 30 years of other people because the site is too trashy. I ended up with a half cent, three indians, and five large cents dating back to 1798 out of there. Now when I go to a place with lots of nails I always default to the small coil, but of course it's a trade-off with the amount of real estate the coil covers at one time. It got dark last night but I wanted to experiment a little so I cleared a 5x5 area with the small coil at this place and then put my big coil on and found a wheat. Covering it with the big coil might be pointless with the amount of nails there, but I'm going to give it a shot and see what pops out.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz! That is a good looking Buffalo!

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received a surprise permission/invitation to come and hunt a 150-ish year old funeral home's front lawn this afternoon, so I went down this evening and had a go at it with my 6" coil. It's got some potential for sure, as it's adjacent to a lot that used to be owned by George Washington himself, but it's loaded with junk. I pulled a buffalo nickel and two wheats tonight before I ran out of daylight, but I'm going to head back tomorrow or Friday with my big coil and see if it pulls anything deep out of the cleaner parts of the yard. Part of it has been filled, but the vast majority has not.

So even though this isn't super old, it's still a keeper find for me and it's by far the best looking buffalo nickel I've ever dug. Most of the ones I dig are red and worn out, usually with no date. This is with no cleaning aside from a toothpick rub to get the dirt off.

Nice Buffalo, Most people do not realize its hard to find them in good shape. I only have two the rest are junk

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a nice one. Congrats my man. Apparently it was dropped very early in life! Good show.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the very nice Buffalo find!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BILS THAT INJUN SURE GOT HIS EYES ON THE PRIZE.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread