Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got in the door and so excited to post this that i didn't even rinse and check the dates of the coin spill. Ive been wanting a US silver for along time and now i have some. I see standing liberties and barbers in the mix.i will post more pictures and dates later when I'm done cataloging all of them. They are mostly all quarters with some dimes and five cent pieces mixed in. I thought i wouldn't top my 26 silver Newfoundland coin find a awhile back but i did. They all were in a small area on a old driveway and the ground was packed hard. Took me two hours to dig them all out. At a quick glance they look to all be from late 1800's to late 1920's. Thanks for looking! [emoji2]
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1440628632.097861.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1440628648.814508.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1440628660.206977.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1440628673.466349.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1440628684.665065.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1440628703.210253.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1440628717.689408.jpg

Upvote 150

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im tore between leaving them as is or cleaning them up some. Hope to hear what more people have to say about the whole thing first i guess! [emoji2]

First off, Congrats in a big way. That is truly amazing.

Since you've asked for thoughts on cleaning, I'll give mine. First and foremost, do what YOU want because this is your find. The most "value" is in the find and not the PM or collector value.

If you make a display, I'd clean them all or leave them all alone, so they tell the same story. If you're not going to build a display, I'd test a couple of the damaged or well circulated coins and give them an acetone bath. If done the right way, it won't diminish value.

Good luck, whatever you choose!

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, I believe you've found a cache of silver. Since the most recent coin was 1930, the cache likely was buried during the Great Depression (1929-1939). The owner felt the silver would be safer buried there than they would be if entrusted to the banks. Something happened, and the owner never returned.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy sh*t!!!!!

That's one hell of a nice hunt.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, I believe you've found a cache of silver. Since the most recent coin was 1930, the cache likely was buried during the Great Depression (1929-1939). The owner felt the silver would be safer buried there than they would be if entrusted to the banks. Something happened, and the owner never returned.

It be interesting and really add to the story to research the land owner and find out he died in that time frame.

Dagger Woods

Apr 29, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Int'l
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are going to get out one of these days. With work and family my hunts seem to be last minute and random. Have you been out much yourself lately?

Not really. My buddy has a camp up near Bass River and I've poked around there a bit but I have no permissions, and no real contacts there so I'm limited in that way. Also, I moved in April to Dartmouth and that kept me busy and distracted for a while. I haven't really even put in enough hours to get to really know my ATP yet.... that's what I'm looking for - practical hours, even if it means I add to someone else's total instead of my own. I don't really care what I find for the time being...

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It be interesting and really add to the story to research the land owner and find out he died in that time frame.

Thats not a bad idea. Hopefully there is more somewhere there. What makes the cache thing odd though is why it would be buried in the main track of a old road on a giant boulder in hard to dig ground and wide open sight.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really. My buddy has a camp up near Bass River and I've poked around there a bit but I have no permissions, and no real contacts there so I'm limited in that way. Also, I moved in April to Dartmouth and that kept me busy and distracted for a while. I haven't really even put in enough hours to get to really know my ATP yet.... that's what I'm looking for - practical hours, even if it means I add to someone else's total instead of my own. I don't really care what I find for the time being...

Big world out there, and at min. you never have to go too far to have many miles of shoreline you could hunt. The hardest part is to get going, but once you do the fever will set in and make it a whole lot easier.

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

If you hunt with me and no matter where its you find it you keep it. ALWAYS! [emoji2]

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CRAZY alright.

I'm thinking that this is a collection of sorts....because

1, you've got almost every date of quarter (can) produced from 1909 to 1930, they didn't make them every year, your only missing 1912, 16, 17.

AND 2, it includes the 1915, and 27 key dates which would not likely be present in such a small (relatively) sample of "random" quarters. Yes I'm quite sure this was someones coin collection, based on those two facts.

Congrats on the great find, and banner recognition for it.

For the record so far my best was three quarters in one hole, and a big batch of silver is my #1 wish list find.

Thanks rick. I hope maybe when i make it back i will find some evidence of a tin are case. But i will take more coins over that though! Haha

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats not a bad idea. Hopefully there is more somewhere there. What makes the cache thing odd though is why it would be buried in the main track of a old road on a giant boulder in hard to dig ground and wide open sight.

That is the case now, but who knows what was there 100 years ago. There could have been a little shack and they were buried in the dirt floor. As for the giant boulder that would certainly be a good marker if the person created a map or directions for him or someone else to be able to find it.

Dagger Woods

Apr 29, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Int'l
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big world out there, and at min. you never have to go too far to have many miles of shoreline you could hunt. The hardest part is to get going, but once you do the fever will set in and make it a whole lot easier.

Yes, you said a mouthful there...

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't realize that all the coins added up to $13.00 even. I wonder what that would be worth in todays Canada or Us (because they are so far apart right now) dollars back in 1930?

39 x $0.25 = $9.75
31 x $0.25 = $3.10
3 x $0.05 = $0.15

TOTAL = $13.00

Last edited:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fell off the wagon, back of the Model T in winter ?

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose someone's silver coin collection could also have been buried as a cache. I don't think this is a random spill. Too many coins, and too much value during the time frame it was likely buried.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good theory! [emoji106]

Because it was in the road it isn't a bad theory, when spring came snow melts, ground soft, stepped on once, disappeared forever...till now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread