Nice afternoon at the city park. A couple of surprises.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_3000.JPG IMG_3001.JPG IMG_3002.JPG IMG_3003.JPG IMG_3004.JPG IMG_3005.JPG I spent the afternoon at our local city park. Found 16 Memorial cents, 3 clad dimes and 3 clad quarters. The surprise was an IHP 1888 and a V nickel 1902. You normally only find newer coins so that was a welcome surprise. The IHP was 1/2 inch deep and the V nickel was a few inches away about 1 1/2 inches deep. The ground was hard and powder dry, but I still had some targets at 5 to 7 inches. The button I need help with. It has writing around the edge, but it seems to be Greek lettering. Any help would be appreciated. The two cartridges seemed to be in a strange place in the park as well. The smaller one is marked W.R.A.Co and what looks like 30 G and the rest is damaged. The other one, if it is a cartridge, is 5/8 inches in diameter, and does not have a primer so if it is a shell it would have to be rimfire. There isn't much writing left on the bottom and you can't tell what it says. Any thoughts on it? HAPPY HUNTING.

Last edited:
Upvote 4

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100_0604.JPG Your button looks kind of familiar . :laughing7: I believe I was told mine was a civilian blazer button from the middle to late 1900s . Cant be positive but I believe that's what the button guys said

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I wasn't sure if it was old or not.
The button is a blazer button - depicts St. Andrews Golf Club insignia - but it's probably not that old.

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does look very familiar. Thanks.
View attachment 1205334 Your button looks kind of familiar . :laughing7: I believe I was told mine was a civilian blazer button from the middle to late 1900s . Cant be positive but I believe that's what the button guys said

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt! :occasion14:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The button is a blazer button - depicts St. Andrews Golf Club insignia - but it's probably not that old.

Yeap, quite a few have been posted.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice saves,, the IHP and V nickel at such shallow depths must have been pleasant surprises.
Congrats on a nice hunt.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice couple of older coins. Its always nice when surprises come out of the ground.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great digs! So where would one get a blazer with St. Andrews buttons anyways? My guess would be exclusively at the birthplace of Golf, but maybe not?:dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread