Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So last year I got my Etrac in May and found 32 keeper coins for the year learning the machine. For me, I keep wheats but I don't count them in my total for the year and I rarely even clean them off enough to see the date, so basically anything pre '64 aside from those count in my book (I count any half dollar or larger too regardless of the year). This year I came out swinging in January and then stalled in March or so. The last silver I found (besides two war nickels a month ago) were at least two months ago even though all my sites should, in theory, hold old stuff.

Last night I hit a site with a friend of mine where he pulled 5 or 6 IHPs the night before along with a buffalo nickel and some assorted buttons. About 10 minutes after I said "hey there should be some V nickels here" he pulled one and then got another indian. I finally changed my settings back to something I was more comfortable with (2TF) and slowed WAY down. I pulled three IHPs in about 5 minutes (1902, 1907, 1908), which finally got me to 33 keepers for the year (I'm still 6 shy of last year on my silver count though....16 this year, but my goal was 50. I'll be happy to get those remaining 6 with the way this year has gone).

Anyway, I pulled 17 wheats from the same site (he got a bunch too but not sure how many). Mine were 1910, 1913, 1918, 1919, 1926, 1930, 1937, 1940, two 1944, 1945, 1946, two 1947, two 1948, and 1954D. I normally don't even look at dates on wheats, but we were getting so many I was curious to see the spread there and it runs basically the whole mintage time frame. There's definitely more stuff there.

Also shown below are a folded over good luck token, an "indian nickel play coin", and a key I got from the same site. Will definitely be going back. I have a hard time believing this site has been hit before, although we've not found any silver there yet so it may have been cherry picked (but not very well).

Attachments

• P1000331.JPG
    P1000331.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 128
Upvote 6

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on nabbing all those keeper coins! And hey, don't forget about those wheat cents. There are some that are rare enough to demand big bucks, as well as the cool factor of finding something rare. You probably know about the good dates already...like the 1914D for example. You never know when a humble 'ol wheatie will be a big find.

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on nabbing all those keeper coins! And hey, don't forget about those wheat cents. There are some that are rare enough to demand big bucks, as well as the cool factor of finding something rare. You probably know about the good dates already...like the 1914D for example. You never know when a humble 'ol wheatie will be a big find.

I did find a 1914 a couple of weeks ago. No mint mark, although it had me scrambling a for a minute!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What I like about your hunt, is the cents have a nice glow to them from your hunt.... my wheats look like they were extracted from an unmentionable place.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did find a 1914 a couple of weeks ago. No mint mark, although it had me scrambling a for a minute!

Ha, I found a 1914 last week too. No D, as usual.

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What I like about your hunt, is the cents have a nice glow to them from your hunt.... my wheats look like they were extracted from an unmentionable place.

The reverses look much better than the obverses, and I buried the ugly ones beneath the good looking ones...haha.

With coppers lately I've stopped using water to clean them off. Unless it's a rare one or something I hit it with the back end of a large wooden match and it brings out details really well. It leaves a little dust on there, but the contrast makes it really pleasing to look at. I got tired of losing all detail when I washed all the dirt off and/or sealed them. I've tried all kinds of stuff I've read about on here and ruined a few coins that luckily weren't worth much anyway, but I like this. I wouldn't do it to anything of value, or anything silver, but it's working well so far. It's also a step away from doing the same thing with a toothpick. The match is wider so it takes less time and it doesn't "dig in" like the toothpicks do sometimes.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reverses look much better than the obverses, and I buried the ugly ones beneath the good looking ones...haha.

With coppers lately I've stopped using water to clean them off. Unless it's a rare one or something I hit it with the back end of a large wooden match and it brings out details really well. It leaves a little dust on there, but the contrast makes it really pleasing to look at. I got tired of losing all detail when I washed all the dirt off and/or sealed them. I've tried all kinds of stuff I've read about on here and ruined a few coins that luckily weren't worth much anyway, but I like this. I wouldn't do it to anything of value, or anything silver, but it's working well so far. It's also a step away from doing the same thing with a toothpick. The match is wider so it takes less time and it doesn't "dig in" like the toothpicks do sometimes.

Wow I need more coffee I thought the first time I read that you said you hit them with the back end of a wooden "Mallet " . I was thinking to myself that mabey I should try that on a few old coppers if it makes them come out that nice . Luckily I reread it in time t prevent the embarrassment of me beating one of my crusty IHs with a meat tenderizer . I guess I should stick to swinging this time of the morning and not reading forum posts :laughing7::coffee2:

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's cool...I do keeper coins as well...most people just do silvers but I could the year on silvers, all nicks pre Jefferson, all pennies pre wheat...I like keeping track this way too can't always base a year on silvers...although they are always nice to find! Great job now get to ur goal buddy!

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's cool...I do keeper coins as well...most people just do silvers but I could the year on silvers, all nicks pre Jefferson, all pennies pre wheat...I like keeping track this way too can't always base a year on silvers...although they are always nice to find! Great job now get to ur goal buddy!

Yeah I guess I did say that wrong above. I hadn't thought about nickels actually. So my keepers would include pre-64 except wheats and Jeffersons, although I do include war nickels. Basically if it doesn't look any different than a modern-struck coin I don't get that excited about it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread