A few Indians, a little Silver, and a mystery Medallion (DWV Hunt)

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went on a DWV hunt Sunday (Digging With Vino). Actually, after communicating with George regarding his recent sword belt find, he invited me over to Philadelphia to help him dig and sift a suspected trash pit and surface hunt the property of the 1793 house where he found it. George was hoping to find the keeper to the buckle, which I understand he JUST FOUND this morning. Here is a pic of George picking through the siftings and a picture of the house on the property.

Well, as soon as we got into the “trash pit”, I recognized from my bottle digging days that it was just a shallow surface dump of furnace ashes and 1920s era broken bottles. This was confirmed by digging a test hole which in which we hit undisturbed sub-soil about one foot deep. At this point we turned to surface hunting, but George and PA Sleuth had already hit the place twice, and the finds were sparse and pretty much all modern. George did get 4 or 5 Indians in one hole which he gave to the property owner who had showed up unexpectedly and indicated that she wanted everything we find. I got a pretty nice 1865 Indian head.

From there we went to several more old properties and finished the day at a house that was built in 1754 that George had recently got permission for, but had not hunted yet. Although the yard was rather small we both got a number of finds, and although they didn’t date to the 18[SUP]th[/SUP] century, it was fun digging. George dug a beautiful silver cufflink with a flower pattern and a silver quarter. I got a ball button, Indian head, dateless SLQ, and probably my most interesting find – a large pewter medallion that was about 8 inches deep. It has a lot of detail, but I only did some preliminary cleaning until I can get it identified (hopefully). Then I will decide how I want to proceed with it. For the time being it is in a plastic bag with wet dirt from the yard where it was dug.

George on sifter duty
George sifting.jpg

This house looks like it's holding all kind of secrets
View attachment 1214778

I got some scrap brass, copper, and lead to add to my scrap metal buckets.
Junk.JPG

My Coins. Was hoping for some large cents or older coppers, but it was not to be on this day. The places we hunted were old enough, but neither of us got a copper.
Coins.JPG
1865.JPG

Lead toys were plentiful though.
Lead toys.JPG

More of my recoveries
Keepers.JPG

I am most curious about this pewter medallion. It was found in the yard of a house built in 1754 and it has obviously been in the ground a long time judging by the condition. i only gave it a preliminary cleaning until it is (hopefully) identified. If it is something important, I will try to be very careful cleaning it. I have heard that Lime Away will remove/loosen the encrustations, but I have never tried it on pewter. This medallion is 1.54" diameter or 39.1 mm.
Medallion Front.JPG
Medallion Front 2.JPG
Medallion Back.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 13

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on a fun day hunting and some good finds!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Great hunt Steve. I'm liking the lead toys and that medallion has my attention too. However, I don't have anything to offer for information. Great silver to boot!

Steve

Ps I'm loving your sifter!!!

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and a great time can't beat it, interesting medallion

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Steve. I'm liking the lead toys and that medallion has my attention too. However, I don't have anything to offer for information. Great silver to boot!

Steve

Ps I'm loving your sifter!!!
Steve, the sifter was made by my ex high school wresting coach and woodshop teacher. I came up with the basic design and dimensions, and he made it in his woodshop. He s retired now and does a lot of woodworking. It is solid oak. George was quite impressed with it, too bad we didn't find anything with it ???

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Steve,Stevieboy,Steverino good to see you get out!
Not the usual Colonial but least you were digging..

~Blaze~

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice set of finds. The 1865 IHC is just awesome! I am fan of lead toys too... and an SLQ. Nice, nice and nice.

I have also attended a DWV event. Without exception, the best hunting I ever experienced!

Best of luck to you!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found no safe way to clean pewter, so careful.

The Medallion is of a type & construction that could date to the 1790s (I think this is the earliest), but the latest could roll into the 1900s.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Steve,
Sorry we didn't get into the colonial times we were hoping for. But It was really nice getting to know you. And the DWV hunts have just been terminated! The Insurance, is high of a cost. Lol.
I'm really hoping you can get a ID on the pewter.
And yes, I just found the keeper to the plate!!! That made my year! Again it was great hunting with you.
George

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Steve,
Sorry we didn't get into the colonial times we were hoping for. But It was really nice getting to know you. And the DWV hunts have just been terminated! The Insurance, is high of a cost. Lol.
I'm really hoping you can get a ID on the pewter.
And yes, I just found the keeper to the plate!!! That made my year! Again it was great hunting with you.
George

George, it was a pleasure hunting with you and looking at your collection. I never get tired of looking at coins and artifacts.
I'm, glad I was able to get a DWV Hunt in before they were terminated :headbang:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on getting out of the 21st and 20th centuries. :occasion14: I know you wanted the 17th, but you pulled some sweet coins and relics. You also were allowed to hunt with one of the east Coast MD Gods (George). I bet it was a day you will remember forever. :hello2:

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE

Attachments

• subtreasurymedal.jpg
    subtreasurymedal.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 71
  • subtreasurymedal2.jpg
    subtreasurymedal2.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 65

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this is your medal - very neat find!

Martin Van Buren: A Large 1840 Campaign Medal with Desirable | Lot #42178 | Heritage Auctions

Martin Van Buren: A Large 1840 Campaign Medal with Desirable Sub Treasury Reverse. Listed by DeWitt/Sullivan as MVB 1840-2. White metal, diameter 38 mm (silver-dollar size). A choice uncirculated example with rich dark gray toning and original luster.

Wow, great ID

Looks like you guys tore it up out there! I sure am Jealous of you guys out East

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this is your medal - very neat find!

Martin Van Buren: A Large 1840 Campaign Medal with Desirable | Lot #42178 | Heritage Auctions

Martin Van Buren: A Large 1840 Campaign Medal with Desirable Sub Treasury Reverse. Listed by DeWitt/Sullivan as MVB 1840-2. White metal, diameter 38 mm (silver-dollar size). A choice uncirculated example with rich dark gray toning and original luster.
Wow! GOOD JOB Bramblefind!!! I wish it was in better shape! I have also dug an 1840 Harrison campaign token, but it was brass with gold gilt - LOL

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You made some good finds Steve. The medallion is very cool. Nice coins too. A good fall kickoff for you! WTG, Q.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, the soldiers are from the same age as the silver. I like the 1865 IHC, so neat! :D

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, congratulations. The crawling doughboy is a Manoil #44 "Crawling Scout with Gun." Approx. 70 mm, and circa 1935. The horseman and standing cowboy torso are probably 54 mm Britains figures, but I would need more to identify them for you! Sub 8-)

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds steve!, those sites down there are ridiculously old!, I've been on a few DWV hunts myself!

I like the sifter setup!:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread