Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went looking for a camp, scouting a possible new site yesterday with my relic hunting buddy.
Spent over 9 hours in the woods and boy am I sore today...
Found my first Sharps bullet. I believe it is a ringtail, and boy is it pretty.:unhappysmiley: .52"dia., .98"High, 29.3g.
Also found a tiny .38", 4.3g pistol ball near the sharps.
Overall it was a slow day of scouting, digging, & dodging banana spiders.
I only found 2 bullets, tons of tiny lead (most are small blobs and not pictured), a couple brass square nails, and a large piece of lead(81 g.) with hole in it (looks to be some sort of weight, possible fishing weight).
My buddy found 3 3-ringers and a silver thimble. 2 of his 3-ringers looked to be around .40-.45 cal and the other looked to be about .58 cal.
According to google earth, and other documents this site had real potential. We found lots of lead and other objects.
Guess we will have to go back and keep looking in the surrounding area.
Maybe a deeper relic machine might help, but im very happy to have pulled the sharps, as it is a first.

Attachments

• DSC03054.JPG
    DSC03054.JPG
    375.1 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC03055.JPG
    DSC03055.JPG
    376.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Upvote 9

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool digs, congrats.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ring tail. Bound to be more stuff there. Good luck finding the sweet spot. I'm sure you will.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Job Bonepicker! Congratz! Hope the spot turns out to be good to ya!

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool digs, congrats.
Thanks RJ55.
Nice ring tail. Bound to be more stuff there. Good luck finding the sweet spot. I'm sure you will.
Thanks Relic Nut. We put in some time working a decent size area. Now I can only think about the other spots we didn't try.
Hopefully next trip out will be more rewarding.
Good Job Bonepicker! Congratz! Hope the spot turns out to be good to ya!
Thanks Cryer777. Was nice digging something different for a change. It should be good, just gona take time to find the camp.

N.O. noir et d'or

Dec 9, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
White's Dfx 300, Fisher CZ20, Garrett ATX, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice recoveries BP! I'm thinking that the squared looking lead objects in your photos possibly could be carved minie balls.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice recoveries BP! I'm thinking that the squared looking lead objects in your photos possibly could be carved minie balls.
Thanks N.O. Ended up digging lots of lead that day, but most were melted globs.
The 3 in the photo were odd, in that they all had squared edges. At first they had lots of crust and I thought maybe small round balls, until removing the crust. Then a couple I thought might be dice, but didn't see any markings.
I was thinking maybe carved lead too, but couldn't really think of any purpose other than some sort of card playing chips or checker pieces.
Not really sure about those, but normally most lead pieces I found are melted and do not have square edges.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread