Unknown coin

Coinsniffa

May 21, 2015
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,

Found this coin this past Sunday and I'm not sure what it is...Best guess it it's some sort of Russian or possibly Austro-Hungarian coin. Any help identifying would be appreciated, thanks and good luck out there. 20151007_220851_011_resized.jpg 20151007_220925_resized.jpg

Upvote 7

be2019

Oct 18, 2013
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find, I looked on the internet and it might be an Austria coin with a double eagle design. I couldn't find one with the 36, if that is what is in the middle circle. Its a great find.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HEY NEW MEMBER WELCOME TO TNET .... NEVER SEEN THAT TYPE OF COIN NEEEET ....

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
What you have is a 1709 2 Grote (1/36 thaler) coin made for/in the German free state of Bremen in Northern Germany. As Germany is a federated republic made of 16 states of which several are referred to as city states like the Free Hanseatic City of Bremen (Bremen and Bremerhaven are both contained within). The name "Ioseph" refers most likely to Joseph I who was part of the Austrian Habsburg empire and was Holy Roman Emperor from 1705 until his death in 1711 and who unsuccessfully tried to claim the Spanish crown for the House of Habsburg.

Here is a pic of a front/back cleaner version

140317108bz.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Coinsniffa

May 21, 2015
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thanks for solving the mystery in providing such good info!

OP
OP
C

Coinsniffa

May 21, 2015
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the replies everyone, happy hunting out there!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A US find? or Europe?

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome coin, congrats and welcome to TNet. Let us know where you found it, at least the country..:dontknow:

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Great find Sniffmeister. Pickings were slim but that is a nice score. Glad you got it ID'd. It cleaned up nicely! I was thinking at was a thin copper but it is a silver ?? That site is turning out to be a "League of Nations" site. It's given up German, Portuguese, English and early American coins.

OP
OP
C

Coinsniffa

May 21, 2015
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Sniffmeister. Pickings were slim but that is a nice score. Glad you got it ID'd. It cleaned up nicely! I was thinking at was a thin copper but it is a silver ?? That site is turning out to be a "League of Nations" site. It's given up German, Portuguese, English and early American coins.

Thanks Jeff! Hope fully next time we'll get into a whole pile of goodies:occasion14:

gigispop7

Mar 22, 2009
Oklahoma city,Ok
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett AT gold, Minelab safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool old coin.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you have is a 1709 2 Grote (1/36 thaler) coin made for/in the German free state of Bremen in Northern Germany. As Germany is a federated republic made of 16 states of which several are referred to as city states like the Free Hanseatic City of Bremen (Bremen and Bremerhaven are both contained within). The name "Ioseph" refers most likely to Joseph I who was part of the Austrian Habsburg empire and was Holy Roman Emperor from 1705 until his death in 1711 and who unsuccessfully tried to claim the Spanish crown for the House of Habsburg.

Here is a pic of a front/back cleaner version

View attachment 1220434

One of the things I love the most about this site is the history lessons that pop up from time to time . Thanks for all the cool info ......learned something new today

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
The power of a little research can many times add a little provenance with finds. Reading my own post, it sounds more like something out of the Antiques Roadshow where they give a lot of info when most folks just want to know...what's it worth?

Enjoy.

4308711.jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
hbeaten,
I agree.
Many members want to know 'What is it worth?" before they or anyone else has even identified the object !!
And in most cases the historic and educational value of the object is greater than the object itself--IMO.
Don.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions