Rev War Military, and Rare Blacksmith token!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today is my 15th anniversary for finding my first old coins detecting , and we did an anniversary hunt and damn was it a hunt! We started back where I had dug the early military from last post and did ok there, then walked to the middle of the next field and found a little more, walked to the bottom and found more, crossed the river and found a little site where Rev War pewters were flying... and then even one final new site which gave up quite a few small buttons and each a large copper, but little else.

The day was great. 10 large coppers, Large Rev War era Navy officer button, 4 RPs, and a crude anchor that I have no idea about, and is not in the books... but sure gives the impression of Continental Navy!

So I get home and am looking over the coppers, and cleaning what I can, and see one that catches my attention and think..... hmmm... is that what I think it might be... well probably not. I even set it aside and forget about it for 20 minutes looking at everything else.... but the 2nd time it got my attention I grabbed my book and immediately turned to the Blacksmith section and bam! What a way to celebrate my 15th Anniversary of finding my first old coins by finding my first blacksmith token! She is not beautiful, but I have been waiting most of those 15 years to get one and strange this happened to be the day. And it's a fairly rare one too! :headbang:

Attachments

• w1.jpg
    w1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 199
  • w2.jpg
    w2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 199
  • z14.jpg
    z14.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 192
  • w4.jpg
    w4.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 186
  • w4a.jpg
    w4a.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 199
  • z12.jpg
    z12.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 204
  • w6.jpg
    w6.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Upvote 27

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just killed that hunt IP...It must have reminded you of your hunts when you first started out...Big copper day along with Rev War button...Quite the anniversary hunt there...congrats bud!

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just killed that hunt IP...It must have reminded you of your hunts when you first started out...Big copper day along with Rev War button...Quite the anniversary hunt there...congrats bud!

Yeah it's definitely feeling old school our last 3 hunts with a combined 55 large coppers and 11 old military!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I see that the value has gone up on the JB script, then again you probably have the Crowned Harp design on the reverse it doesn't matter. :) Killed it today you did, happy anniversary!:occasion14:

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see that the value has gone up on the JB script, then again you probably have the Crowned Harp design on the reverse it doesn't matter. :) Killed it today you did, happy anniversary!:occasion14:

I wish I had the harp one, more valuable... but is the JB script. There's just a tiny bit of detail on the other side but enough to know it's not the harp.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent post IP, great story, and congratulations on a killer 15 year anniversary hunt. The group shot of the lead, buttons and coppers makes me drool. 2 coppers is a great day, 3 coppers is my record... 10 coppers.... I think I'd grab some gear and just camp out. Ha

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man what a dream hunt! Super big congrats!!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Wow, the large navy button had me fooled on what it was with the dirt still on it, still a really nice find!
The blacksmith is the winner!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt buddy. Really happy for ya. I know how hard you ha e to work to have hunts like the days of old. That's a pretty epic pile of goodies brother

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, the large navy button had me fooled on what it was with the dirt still on it, still a really nice find!
The blacksmith is the winner!

Funny when I got home before I cleaned them I had thoughts of it maybe being a large officer RFA... it's the only thing that made sense seeing a large sword, and I was convinced that was what was on it! So realizing it was a Navy was cool, but sort of a let down. And then the cool anchor being inconclusive had me thinking ok, just another numbers day, decent stuff, but nothing great... and that's when I seen that copper again and checked my book.. and talk about doing a 180! So plenty of twists and turns today, but ended up great.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt buddy. Really happy for ya. I know how hard you ha e to work to have hunts like the days of old. That's a pretty epic pile of goodies brother

I'm working hard for that $1! :)

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the killer token, you deserve it after all these years!

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the killer token, you deserve it after all these years!

It's just something we had never dug and seemed like with so many coppers one should have come along.. and I guess today was the day.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wish I had the harp one, more valuable... but is the JB script. There's just a tiny bit of detail on the other side but enough to know it's not the harp.

I think the rarity of the other is Extremely Rare in the book I have, not sure if that has changed over the past 10yrs, still getting a Blacksmith Token is a game saver right there!

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the rarity of the other is Extremely Rare in the book I have, not sure if that has changed over the past 10yrs, still getting a Blacksmith Token is a game saver right there!

I assume it's still extremely rare in the latest books. Any example of it would do well at auction but I wouldn't sell even if it was the harp one.

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
That token is awesome....Rev war buttons are in decent condition for pewter...killer hunt congrats

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful hunt! Even you sound happy IP!

I couldn't think of a greater anniversary hunt and any hunt for that matter. One to remember. Congrats again

Steve

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful hunt! Even you sound happy IP!

I couldn't think of a greater anniversary hunt and any hunt for that matter. One to remember. Congrats again

Steve

Well full of coffee :) but definitely good with this hunt. Good for a couple of reasons.... The first being we find so much of the same stuff even when it's great stuff, we have already dug it before, but I'm ok with that gift horse. The token is of course something I have not found before. The 2nd is not a gift horse, it's Ironhorse, he's been taking all the better and rare coins for a while and this is my first in a very long time. So the combination of those two things makes it a good day. Oh, and not like he had a bad day today! Far from it.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blacksmiths never look good, as evidenced by no nice looking ones in books.
I see the price is rising nicely on that one, checked my first edition token cat. says 350.oo in F. that was 1988.
You guys having a good fall season.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread