How about a little pistol for your boot.

richeysd76

Oct 28, 2013
spotsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Garrett at pro, fisher f4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I got bored today so I decided to hit the field in my backyard. There used to be an old house from the 1800s. We've hit it hard so I pretty much just detect it when i'm bored. I wasn't expecting to find anything because this place is infected with nails so I just slowed down to almost a crawl. After about a 1/2 hr of the grunts of nails I got a decent signal mixed in with the low grunts, I dug down a few inches stuck my pro pointer in and just started picking out the nails finally I was able to see a little green so I new at least I had brass started to work it out of the hole and I thought to myself no way. Turned out to be a nice little boot pistol. After getting home I was able to get the hallmarks off it. An oval with the letters elg and a small star after some quick searching I believe it's between 1810-1850s. Thanks for looking 20151127_155134.jpg 20151127_155117.jpg

Upvote 21

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good find ! Do you have a method of cleaning brass ? (if you intend to )

Last edited:
OP
OP
richeysd76

richeysd76

Oct 28, 2013
spotsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Garrett at pro, fisher f4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good find ! Do you have a method of cleaning brass ? (if you intend to )
Thanks, I usually just let the dirt dry then hit it with a toothbrush

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Pretty cool find! :thumbsup: I'd try and make a grip for it, maybe add something resembling a hammer,trigger, and trigger guard, and hang it on the wall.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a great recovery, and one for the display. Congrats

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just don't come to NY with it, Emperor Cuomo will lock you up per the "SAFE" act. very cool find:-)

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Huh, just saw the same one last week. I think that was that Old Dude that posted it. Quite a common find apparently. Lol

Not a bad day. Cheers

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If they're so common, where the heck is MINE after 40+ years?! Very cool (and yeah, I've seen a few posted here, just can't seem to get MY coil over one!!)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread