Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, If you had good weather like I did today (65 degrees) I hope you got a chance to get out and swing the coil. I went and hit a cellar hole in the woods I recently found with my fiancee and I got my first Spanish real! Its pretty slick but has a readable date of 1779! wohoo :headbang:

Here it is cleaned up.
IMG_20151127_051736.jpg

Here's the dirt shot.
CAM01668.jpg

Here a shot of the cellar hole looking at the fireplace. As you can see in the background its pretty hard swinging there due to sooo many downed trees.
CAM01673.jpg

Upvote 27
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super find, there is something special about Spanish silver. From your first photo, my first impression of your coin was the same as Bill's-- the coin's color implied it was a pewter (contemporary) counterfeit. The in situ photo looks much more like silver. I've been lucky enough to find Spanish silver several times, but would be thrilled to recover a counterfeit one. Now that would be a difficult "club" to join--the counterfeit Spanish silver club!

OP
OP
Showtime2385

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you professor, I'm sure going to try :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Showtime2385

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super find, there is something special about Spanish silver. From your first photo, my first impression of your coin was the same as Bill's-- the coin's color implied it was a pewter (contemporary) counterfeit. The in situ photo looks much more like silver. I've been lucky enough to find Spanish silver several times, but would be thrilled to recover a counterfeit one. Now that would be a difficult "club" to join--the counterfeit Spanish silver club!

Yeah the cleaned pics just look like that because of the light from the led flashlight I'm hitting it with to show the details.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great piece of silver!!! Congrats!!!!:occasion14:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Spanish silver. Nothing feels quite like one. It looks like the size of a 1R. Try and clean it up a bit more and post a close up, maybe we can get the mint or assayer for you.

Congrats steve

LOOKS LIKE A 2R TO ME

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also agree with Bill D., and Terpfan. I enlarged the pic. and it is definitely pitted / corroded, which has nothing to do with your flashlight.
Bill has found over a hundred Spanish silver, Terpfan a "few", myself a dozen or so. I don't know why it's so hard for some to accept the truth, even get offended by it. There is nothing to be offended about it being a counterfeit, have you noticed the latest addition to the Banner ?

A bit more evidence is found here.
Counterfeit 2 Reales of the Bust Type: Charles III, Charles IV, Ferdinand VII 1771-1821 A Survey and a Die Study | John Kleeberg - Academia.edu

Stating a couple of pages down (the first page with any amount of writing) that most counterfeits were produced in NYC, which is where you are ?

You may have a banner find too, more research will tell, where as a "normal" 2R in that condition is worth about it's weight in silver.

Cool find, good luck, I'll be watching.

Last edited:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on the 1st spanish silver, I'll never forget the 1st one for me, I was lucky enough to find another this year

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also agree with Bill D., and Terpfan. I enlarged the pic. and it is definitely pitted / corroded, which has nothing to do with your flashlight.
Bill has found over a hundred Spanish silver, Terpfan a "few", myself a dozen or so. I don't know why it's so hard for some to accept the truth, even get offended by it. There is nothing to be offended about it being a counterfeit, have you noticed the latest addition to the Banner ?

Counterfeit 2 Reales of the Bust Type: Charles III, Charles IV, Ferdinand VII 1771-1821 A Survey and a Die Study | John Kleeberg - Academia.edu

Stating a couple of pages down (the first page with any amount of writing) that most counterfeits were produced in NYC, which is where you are ?

You may have a banner find too, more research will tell, where as a "normal" 2R in that condition is worth about it's weight in silver.

But you have to decide what you are saying. Is it a pewter cast counterfeit, or a struck coin, you can't really have it both ways. That study is for dies -- struck coins, cast are of very little interest by comparison.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other

Thanks for the support Rick. I still think that pitted look implies a counterfeited coin, and that dull silvery look also appears to be pewter-like. But after the finder said it registered in the silver range its hard to dispute it as not being the real deal. Some of the thicker coins, like the 8 reale, were faked using a pot metal interior with a silver gilted skin and these would read way up in the silver range. But this thin coin appears to be either silver or pewter.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found two contemporary counterfeit seated coins, one a Seated 1861 Quarter, the other a 1874 seated half. The condition on both these counterfeits was WAY evident that something was not kosher with them. Just from those much younger counterfeits, I'd rest assured that his is a real (not contemporary counterfeit) Reale.

Congrats either way, I don't claim to be an expert, can only share from my own personal experience. I know the guys saying it might be CC have found many real Reales but how many CC have they found? Just helping the OP to ID his find, not trying to hurt anyone's ego.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First thing that popped into my head was it looked like it was laying on rusted iron?

Mathurin

Dec 16, 2014
Vieille Capitale
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
either way it is still a very cool find and it would be nice to see bigger pics with more details !
thanks for sharing !

and silver can't silver be pitted too depending on the soils conditions ?

like my 1880 5 cents found this week :

Capture d’écran 2015-11-26 à 7.53.51 PM.jpg
fishyrevers.jpg

OP
OP
Showtime2385

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would no way be offended if this was a counterfeit coin. I realize it would then be more rare but this is not what I believe it is. The VDI rang in the low to mid 80's confirming it is silver. It is also not a 2r, it is a 1r.

OP
OP
Showtime2385

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First thing that popped into my head was it looked like it was laying on rusted iron?

Everything in these site around here are laying with plenty of rusted iron.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
either way it is still a very cool find and it would be nice to see bigger pics with more details !
thanks for sharing !

and silver can't silver be pitted too depending on the soils conditions ?

like my 1880 5 cents found this week :

If pitting was the only criteria then most salt water silver would have to be counterfeit. :) (So I agree with you)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions