Coin Beach DE on the way home, and PA hunts with 2 OLD dog licenses... 1924 and 1927!

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We were local for the holidays (which worked out great as the weather was in the 70's-80's for a few days there and I was still pulling buttons and other stuff off the beach) so I headed up to PA to see the family and bring up the Christmas presents and have a visit. While up there I went back to my site in the woods that has produced some cool stuff in the past and didn't disappoint on this trip either. I also hit my brother's yard (lives in an old 1800's one room school house) that has also produced as well but not much this time.

After a few days up north I made the call to loot a bit on the way back down home to Va Beach and stopped at Coin Beach DE just to try my luck. I knew it might be a crap shoot but it was on my way down,sorta, and worth a small detour. I also stopped at OC in a few places just to look at the beach but at that point I was cold and tired, and feeling a bit under the weather so I didn't hunt there. Spoke with OC COP last night on the phone, sorry we missed each other, but hopefully next time we can link up.

Hunts In Reverse:
Coin beach didn't have much, some junk, a few clad coins and one old sinker. I was there for about 1.5 hours and with the wind howling as it was the temp was in the 20's. I moved on down to OC and down by the pier and a few blocks north it was pretty flat. I was cold and feeling a bit under the weather so made the call to head on home back to Va Beach.

DSC_0034.JPG DSC_0036.JPG DSC_0076.JPG DSC_0077.JPG

My brother's house in PA didn't have much on this hunt. It isn't a large place and I've hit it each time I've been back home so the finds are getting a bit sparse. It may be time to try out some new programs on the CTX just for old deep coins as this spot has produced several wheats, indians, buffalo nickels and one 1891 seated liberty dime. Not so great this time. Two penny's, one a 194x wheat, and some aluminum siding pieces (all over the place here). One interesting item that I found looks like an old Christmas decoration. It's a wooden ball with a lead or pewter top, may have been red once and probably hung on a tree outside once.

DSC_0078.JPG DSC_0079.JPG

I had started off at my site in the woods that has given up a few good items in the past (3 Merry Widows condom tin, modern silver and other stuff..) and I wanted to hit a different section this time. Most of what I found were what I call "Pennsylvania Pull-tabs". Shotgun shells, lots of em. (I'm willing to bet that in the eastern 1/2 of PA at least, there isn't a stand of woods that DOESN'T have a few shotgun shell casings buried here and there..) There were also some modern fired bullets and casings..no surprise there either.

One cool item that I found and left in place was a metal shaft with a gear on it. I'm not sure how old it is but it was pretty rusty. Could be from a car or some sort of farm machinery. Anyone recognize it? I may go back and bring this one home next trip.

DSC_0237.JPG DSC_0238.JPG DSC_0239.JPG

There were a couple of other neat items like a mason jar lid with a bunch of markings on it, and what I think is an aluminum bird band that is marked "OHGC 1286". Looked online but couldn't find anything on it. Maybe one from Ohio? (OHxx) that was put on in Dec 1986? (1286). Just guesses. The best finds by far were two OLD dog licenses that I came a cross. The first one is symmetrical and is dated 1924 and the other I didn't even know I had till after today's beach hunt (posting photos on that one in a bit but it was pretty good...) when I was cleaning it all up. It is from 1927 and is odd shaped but look really cool. Both will look nice with some light cleaning and on display. We all find plenty of dog tags and rabies tags on the beaches around here but not many THIS old! The 1924 one still has the fasteners and a bit of leather still on it. Any idea how to clean it without losing the material or just leave it alone? I'd like to get some more detail and the date to show better on it.

DSC_0080.JPG DSC_0081.JPG DSC_0082.JPG DSC_0083.JPG DSC_0088.JPG DSC_0089.JPG DSC_0091.JPG DSC_0263.JPG DSC_0093.JPG DSC_0095.JPG DSC_0101.JPG DSC_0128.JPG

DSC_0240 - Copy.JPG DSC_0251 - Copy.JPG DSC_0250 - Copy.JPG

This site is one I will continue to hunt when back home. It has had colonial activity and I have found some Native American carvings here so I'm hoping for more in the future and I'd LOVE to find some arrowheads/points. I'm including some photos of the area as well. Real pretty back in the woods (though COLD that day, in the "teens' with windchill) and the streams and creeks always seem to have had some sort of past activity around them. There are a couple spots that would have been (still are) nice swimming holes that I will be checking out when back up in the warmer weather. No drysuit or wetsuit with me on this hunt! Apologies, another LONG post but tried to capture it all with good detail. Hope you enjoyed the picts (Capt Tom!) and the write-up! Stand by for the next post with today's beach hunt.

Upvote 7

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that ball not off an old gear stick lever from a car?

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your bird band could be from a Homing Pigeon club. If it were off of a bird such as a duck, it would have been put on by the local Conservation Dept. & should have some markings on there that indicate that, such as D.O.C. etc. The OHGC would be the abbreviation for the club name. There are websites you can look into to try & find it. I have found a few bands like that, & have been able to trace them to clubs in my home state. I also like the dog tax tags.

OP
OP
DocBeav

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know CRUSADER, you could be right! It is kinda heavy for an ornament. Found it under a tree in his yard but who knows how these things end up where they do. Thanks!

Is that ball not off an old gear stick lever from a car?

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You put in quite a few hours. You just never know what you are going to find. Thanks for sharing and for the pictures.
I really enjoy finding old dog tags.
Congrats

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds !
Your "Pigeon Band" is Probably pretty Old
I'm only guessing "OHGC 1286"
because it doesn't have an IF or AU on it, It is an Independent or defunct owner/club & the bird was born Dec. 1886
again, just a guess

I was thinking OH was Ohio , But I see O.H.G.C. so :dontknow:

May be coincidence but this Pops up
Untitl.jpg

I didn't find the actual mention in the book though

https://books.google.com/books?id=0...MjAD#v=onepage&q=O.H.G.C. pigeon club&f=false

Last edited:
OP
OP
DocBeav

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jeff! I appreciate you looking into it too! I'll check out the link in a little bit, heading out to the beach in another hour or so so hoping to have more to post if its good, and still have a post from 2 days ago that was really good!

Nice Finds !
Your "Pigeon Band" is Probably pretty Old
I'm only guessing "OHGC 1286"
because it doesn't have an IF or AU on it, It is an Independent or defunct owner/club & the bird was born Dec. 1886
again, just a guess

I was thinking OH was Ohio , But I see O.H.G.C. so :dontknow:

May be coincidence but this Pops up
View attachment 1257539

I didn't find the actual mention in the book though

https://books.google.com/books?id=0...MjAD#v=onepage&q=O.H.G.C. pigeon club&f=false

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking dog tags, well done!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread