Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this today at one of my less-frequented NYC dump sites. All I could say was, "what the heck is this?!"
At first I thought it was just some sort of bizarre pipe coupling but then I realized it was infact a fire nozzle, a type that I had never seen before!

It has 9 holes for water to shoot out and 3 of these holes are slightly larger than the others and pointing at a angle - I've concluded that this forced the top of the apparatus to spin counterclockwise at an incredible speed once activated with water. It has stamped on it "H 102 B". The top of the device spins freely with a slight push. I looked all over the internet for references to this device but could find none. I've thus concluded it to be a very rare contraption.

20160119_180743 2.jpg 20160119_180747 2.jpg

Edit 8:06pm, research and help from fellow T-Net members have led me to conclude beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is an extremely old and rare firefighting device called a "Bresnan Distributor". Here is the whole story of what it was used for as taken from a story about a firehouse that found one laying around and decided to try it out:

"The Batavia City Fire Department tested the oldest piece of equipment the department owns today -- a Bresnan distributor.

The device is designed to be lowered into a basement that is on fire, but too hot for firefighters to enter.

Though, as one firefighter explained, if the fire is burning that hot, you wouldn't want firefighters standing on the floor above and making the hole necessary for the hose and nozzle.

It could also be inserted from below into an attic.
However, one firefighter said in the 25 years he's spent with the department, he's not aware of the nozzle ever being used.

The brass nozzle is somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 years old. It was manufactured by Grether Fire Equipment Co., of Dayton Ohio. As near as I can tell from Google searches, the company was in business from the turn of the early 20th Century until 1930, though maybe through at least 1974. The company made a variety of small firefighting devices, such as nozzles and lanterns.

In case it ever is needed, firefighters today wanted to see if it still works and what its water distribution pattern was like."

20160119_180653 2.jpg 20160119_180722 2.jpg

20160119_180711 2.jpg

"UPDATE 3:33 p.m.(by Billie): I searched on Google for "Bresnan distributor" and found this from a retired firefighter named Bill Bresnan who is now an artist. The inventor of the device for firefighting in hard-to-reach places was his great-grandpa. Here's what he says:

"My great grandfather, Battalion Chief John J. Bresnan was a truly dedicated man who served in the New York City Fire Department in the 1800s. He was an inventor and among his many inventions was the Bresnan distributor, the hose roller and a harness for the horses that was designed to facilitate faster response times during those days.

He was passionate about making improvements to the fire service and enhancing safety for the citizens.

Sadly, he was killed in a building collapse at a warehouse fire in Manhattan on a freezing cold night in late December of 1894, leaving behind three young children and an entire city who mourned his loss. Little did he know that generations after him would serve the department and the city he loved. My grandfather, father, uncle, brother and two cousins all proudly served in the F.D.N.Y.

It certainly was a privilege to be part of the New York City Fire Department. This is a special brotherhood. I met great men, real heroes who carried themselves in a humble way. I also met great leaders, knowledgeable and aggressive officers of all ranks. Despite all the tragedy I have seen over the years, I am grateful to have witnessed humanity at its best."

Testing a 100-year old Bresnan Distributor:
brensandistributor-2.jpg brensandistributor.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 40

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am more apt to think it is a washer head for some industrial sized cleaner.

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am more apt to think it is a washer head for some industrial sized cleaner.

I've been searching for other things online that may explain exactly what this thing is, I took into account what you said, but just a moment ago I found this:
f9ba46421832fdad409ffd44fa3ca316.jpg
It's just an image on Pinterest but the short description vaguely calls it "antique fire nozzle", it's an old link so there is no other information. But it has convinced me it is indeed a fire-fighting apparatus. Source: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/27584616441713155/

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bet she sure would shine up nicely!!!! Great find!:icon_thumleft:

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Distributor nozzle (photo 2). Generally used in a 2½-inch size, this nozzle is a broken stream-type nozzle and can be very advantageous on ship and other vessel-type fires, attic fires, and cellar fires and in other concealed spaces. Even though you don’t use this nozzle every day, it is very effective and does a great job of stopping fire spread.

Login - Fire Engineering

pennwell.web.343.400.jpg

(2) Distributor nozzle—sometimes referred to as a broken stream nozzle or a Bresnan distributor nozzle. It is usually 2½ inches, but a 1½-inch type is also available.

Pretty cool find! I'm betting it's worth a few bucks to a collector too, fire fighting pieces are always in demand...

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Distributor nozzle (photo 2). Generally used in a 2½-inch size, this nozzle is a broken stream-type nozzle and can be very advantageous on ship and other vessel-type fires, attic fires, and cellar fires and in other concealed spaces. Even though you don’t use this nozzle every day, it is very effective and does a great job of stopping fire spread.

Login - Fire Engineering

pennwell.web.343.400.jpg

(2) Distributor nozzle—sometimes referred to as a broken stream nozzle or a Bresnan distributor nozzle. It is usually 2½ inches, but a 1½-inch type is also available.

Pretty cool find! I'm betting it's worth a few bucks to a collector too, fire fighting pieces are always in demand...

Wow! Amazing info! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chinese firefighter trying out a modern Cellar Nozzle similar to a Bresnan Distributor:

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, we had them & they were called "cellar nozzles"........I saw them used a few times(& used them myself) in my 33 year's as a Prof. F.Fighter (1977-2010). I certainly would not say rare..........just rarely used!

Iowa Dale

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Antique firefighting gear can command a pretty penny...nice find...very cool.

TxSchelter

Jan 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AKA Cellar Nozzle. Not rare but that one definitely looks older than most!
Good find.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Very neat find and save! I like the research you put into it and the story. Thanks for sharing....:thumbsup:

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AKA Cellar Nozzle. Not rare but that one definitely looks older than most!
Good find.

I think it is rare becasue it appears to be a first generation design from the original patent and likely, becasue it was invented and first produced in NYC, was one of the first ones ever put into service. My research shows that the ones manufactured at the turn of the 20th century in Ohio had ball bearings, but this one does not have bearings and never could have as the mechanism has no space for them. The original patent shows it was originally designed without bearings so this is definitely one of the original versions manufactured in NYC during the late 1800's from Bresnan's patent - from which all subsequent Cellar Nozzles were based on.

I noticed on the brass that the stamp that I thought read "H 102 B" on the bottom actually says "H 102 BRESNAN" it's just most of the letters have become too faint to see easily, but it's written on it. This is likely one of the oldest versions of this device in existence as it is a New York-produced version and New York's FDNY were the first to use these starting in the late 1800's. Regardless of its rarity or value I love the thing for its uniqueness and connection to the history of NYC and the fledgling FDNY, this was most definitely used back in the time when horses were still being employed by the fire department and the water pumps were still steam powered :)

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thread, I love your time spent on this one, hats off to those that gave their lives or plan just risked them firefighting!

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yow! Terrific story. This is why I love this hobby

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find . I would love to make a trip downstate and go with you on one of your garbage rummage trips . I love the cool stuff you find

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely a truly unique find.