Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Embarassed to post finds Im lucky to find silver let alone any of these kinds of daily finds Makes me wonder what Im doing wrong example Todays post went out for 2 hrs found 3 diamond rings 2 morgans and Enilia Earhards propeller.went to the beach found some gold coins from a 1700s galleon Blackbeards sword and Jimmy hoffas wallet. went to old farm property 3 coins from 1422 paul Revers tennis shoe and a Meteorite went out for lunch break found platinum diamond ring 7 military buttons and a Waltham gold watch and lincolns wooden tooth.I know Ann Arbor does not have a lot of history . Im glad for peoples finds Amazing stuff just venting.Went out today after winter freeze finally 45 degrees hiked to my spot broke my little shovel on the frozen ground ehhhhH

Last edited:
Upvote 20

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not every day brings a great find but every day I get to hunt,, brings about the great feeling I get from being able to get out and hunt. The finds I make are mostly common clad, but because I put the time in, I do come across a winner now and then.
Keep your spirits up, Spring is right around the corner.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I feel for you brother. I feel like you feel a lot of the time. Here is the way I look at it:

At first, I didn't find anything. Then I found clad... then silver coins. I hunted a ton in 2016, and found some good stuff... check out my year end post to see the goodies. I found more silver coins than anyone I know locally (84). However, there were a TON of people that found WAY more than I did. Look at Vino, Scrappy, OBN, just to name a few.

Here is the point: There will always be people that find more than you, and there will always be people that find less. Just give it your all, do your best, and try to enjoy yourself. None of us "regular guys" are getting rich on our finds, so we ought to least have a good time.

A lot depends on where you hunt too. You can not find what is not there.

Best of luck to you brother!

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Switch it up, start hunting your local swimming holes when it gets warmer. You'd be surprised how many goodies are in the water. And you have the perfect machine for it. Good luck and happy hunting.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Metal detecting is like playing poker. Luck is absolutely involved, but there is a reason why the same people wind up sitting at the final table at the World Series of Poker year after year. Research, practice, location, and knowing how to read the land are all essential skills in perennial success for detectorists. Some people are lucky enough to stumble across a once in a lifetime find, while others have found many such finds.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just know that the same folks who are posting awesome things have all had their slumps and will again. Perseverence and patience is key in this hobby. Like others have said, even when I'm not finding much, I just love being outside rooting around in the great outdoors. Just enjoy the scenery around you and the finds will come.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in Indiana not too far from you. So no big time treasure locations here either and I use an old discontinued Garret model. My only hope is in digging an overwhelming numbers of holes. In forty years I have found hundreds of silver coins in everyday places, but I have dug over 30,000 clads, crumbly zincs, untold piles of junk, and thousands of pull tabs to boot. I only post the keepers so It may seem like I always get goodies, but at the rate of one keeper per approximately 5,000 holes it often seems futile. But even at my age I just can't quit doin' it....Swing...pinpoint...dig...refill...Repeat...wish it was easier!

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's like I like to say.
"Put in the time & you will find".
& Clad adds up quick.
Heck it may not be much but I eyeball $1-$4 of clad a week.
(on the Ground ,Coinstar,Change slots on Vending Machines & Arcade Games) .

I have not spent any of my Dug or Eyeballed Clad in 4+ years .
So every time I buy some Common Silver or Type coins ; I like to think I'm using the "Clad " Money.

All that said , I do feel your Pain...

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Everybody starts somewhere. It took me at least two years before I found my first silver coin of any kind. The more you get out, the more you'll learn and luck will find you.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I post whatever I find. I know that it gets boring looking at clad, junk relics, etc. But that's my point. This hobby can be exceedingly exciting! Sometimes! But, the ones who do the best at it are the ones who know that the hum drum of the day to day can slaw/clad etc. always gets a bright spot sooner or later.

When people ONLY post the absolutely WONDERFUL stuff, it discourages those who aren't currently finding much of the so called "good stuff".

Believe it or not, there are many more who could identify with the "every day" finds. It's what MOST of us do. :)

Have faith!

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone I love metal detecting being outdoors The thrill of the next find etc. one I think the weather feeling cooped up inside and two I gotta not look so much at the the best finds section cause in reality that's not an everyday thing. Thanks so much for the support and letting me vent I detect through you people and your posts through the winter good news I found a 1921 morgan last week first ever. Almost needed an Auger to get it out of the ground. I was pumped I am going out tomorrow and sunday 45 and 40 degrees good enough for me. Leave the kids,, and honey do and honey donts at home thanks every one Tommy

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks everyone I love metal detecting being outdoors The thrill of the next find etc. one I think the weather feeling cooped up inside and two I gotta not look so much at the the best finds section cause in reality that's not an everyday thing. Thanks so much for the support and letting me vent I detect through you people and your posts through the winter good news I found a 1921 morgan last week first ever. Almost needed an Auger to get it out of the ground. I was pumped I am going out tomorrow and sunday 45 and 40 degrees good enough for me. Leave the kids,, and honey do and honey donts at home thanks every one Tommy

So happy you've found something of interest for you

Enjoy!

FM+++++

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I post whatever I find. I know that it gets boring looking at clad, junk relics, etc. But that's my point. This hobby can be exceedingly exciting! Sometimes! But, the ones who do the best at it are the ones who know that the hum drum of the day to day can slaw/clad etc. always gets a bright spot sooner or later.

When people ONLY post the absolutely WONDERFUL stuff, it discourages those who aren't currently finding much of the so called "good stuff".

Believe it or not, there are many more who could identify with the "every day" finds. It's what MOST of us do. :)

Have faith!

Exactly!
Its out there, you just have to keep looking.
Give your self the best possible chance you can of finding goodies, get well aquainted with and know how your detector works and what it is telling you.
I guaranty you we all have missed good targets for one reason or another.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep in mind, many of us only post our really great finds here. You don't see the piles and piles of trash and you don't hear about the hundreds of hours spent digging it and coming home with nothing noteworthy.

I've posted pretty much all of my great finds here. They probably add up to about 10% of what I actually dig. I dig pull tabs religiously and once in a really great while some gold shows up. I dig up modern clad coins and once in a great while a little silver shows up. When that happens I post it it here.

This is a numbers game. Just showing up is well over half the battle. Keep digging and digging and don't get discouraged. If you dig 1000 pull tabs you may hit a gold ring or two along the way. Dig those copper signals and you may hit on some silver. Sometimes you go out and hit on something great in the first two minutes. It's amazing when it happens. The important thing is to never give up and enjoy the ride as well as the thrill of the hunt.

And remember, the more you dig the "luckier" you'll get. People who dig more trash and pull tabs find more gold (and nickels). Also, never ignore that "little voice". Your intuition is your best friend in this hobby.

I hear you on that frozen ground too. I'm still waiting for the snow to melt from a blizzard two weeks ago. I'm dying to get out there but it's just too deep. So rather than get upset, I come here and LEARN stuff from my fellow treasure hunters. This is a great time of year to do some research on potential hunts to get ready for spring.

Remember, success happens when preparation meets opportunity.
Good luck and HH.....

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even the "trash" we dig has value. One of the T Net members had a picture of a wading pool full of trash he had dug that he sent in for us here in Mass. when we were fighting to keep the DCR beaches open to detecting. :thumbup:
It helped!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even the "trash" we dig has value. One of the T Net members had a picture of a wading pool full of trash he had dug that he sent in for us here in Mass. when we were fighting to keep the DCR beaches open to detecting. :thumbup:
It helped!

That's a great point.
Collectively, we're removing TONS and TONS of trash from the ground that would otherwise stay there forever. I see it as a great public service that we willingly do for FREE.

You'd think that they ("THEY" being "The Hierarchy Enslaving YOU") would maybe be a little grateful rather than pointing the fingers, looking for the very worst and trying to shut us down.

I've had a couple of run ins with people questioning what I'm doing in certain places with a metal detector and trying to ORDER me to stop; as if it's any of their business in the first place. I'm a "live and let live" kinda' guy but if there's one thing I can't stand it's people with ZERO knowledge of this hobby trying to dictate or control how we go about it.

Maybe they should get some hobbies of their own so they won't have any time (or desire) to harass us. Their own lives would also be more enjoyable and then maybe they could give up that whole control freak thing.

HH......

swimmer

Oct 13, 2004
St Helens OR
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We share your lack of finds...keep the faith, the finds do come eventually.

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I first started it took me about 8 hours to find my first clad quarter. Felt like I hit the lottery. Next time at the beach in the hidey holes where people get out of the wind I pulled an eighty five cent spill as the snow was coming down. The sand literally crusted up so much it was undigable. Since then I have not been able do anything but surf the web sites. You are a lucky dog A2. I see you have made it out several times with nice finds! One thing you might try are the farms in the area. Takes some door knocking but can be awesome. I really like big old ones that had itinerant workers that lived on site. Happy hunting my friend!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dude, the fact that you found a 1921 Morgan is fantastic. There are people who have hunted for years and years and have never found one (including me). I've been at it for about 20 months and the only dollar coins I've found so far are a few modern presidential dollars and a couple of Sacajawea dollars; the two dollar coins that no one even likes.

I'd say you're doing really great.

When I seriously started this hobby in June of 2014 I had a 30 dollar BH Tracker IV I found on Craigslist. I hit an old ball field and dug up a small 10K band in under an hour. That was really lucky and made it seem almost too easy. Boy was I in for a surprise. I finally figured out just how lucky I had been as the days and weeks went by and all of that trash I was digging began to pile up.

But even when I have hunts where I find nothing really good I still always really enjoy myself. I usually hunt alone and it's almost become a form of mediation for me. I love being in that "zone". I can go from pure chaos at work to pure peace and relaxation in no time once I start swinging my detector. I'll stay out and hunt until it gets too dark to see. I just take the good with the bad and in reality, it's all good because I enjoy it.

Again, just keep digging and more treasure will come; maybe not every time but it will show up as long as you continue to show up.

Last edited:

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second that on post above. I have never found a big silver, biggest being old standing liberty quarter. Ive been detecting since 05.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread