🥇 BANNER Colonial Watering hole deja vu ...ANOTHER EARLY SILVER RING...AND CHECK THIS ONE OUT!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I am a sad but dedicated soul. It was cold and windy (30mph sustained winds) this morning, but the water temps are warmer then the air, so I said "lets roll."

It was downright miserable and I probably was second guessing myself every minute until I made it back to the same hole that produced the other early silver ring and cob that I recovered earlier this week. As soon as I declined down into it I heard an iffy signal and after a few minutes of work on the bottom, up surfaced this beauty! Another early silver hand-etched ring! This one has overlapping hearts and similar etchings as the one that I recovered earlier in the week. I have to believe they belonged to the same person as they were 5' apart and are very similar in design and construction. I did have my first ring verified that it was no newer than 1700s and most likely 1600's with a chance of 1400-1500s. One person even said earlier than that. I was stunned to say the least and my hearts "pun intended" warmed my body! ha ha

After that excitement, the cold set back in and a few additional finds surfaced before I finally called it quits...it even snowed on me...I mean really?

Other finds include a civil war eagle cuff button, a colonial flat button another civil war three ringer and a handful of other 1700-1600's lead musket balls and shot. This site had a small amount of civil war activity which is why a random CW find is made from time to time, but the vast majority is 1700s-1600s with the mean date being the late 1600's.

I thought I had another cob, but it turned out to be a piece of pewter that read fairly high.

I am stoked on the rings as they might be my best finds of the summer and a pair that will display nice together!

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    988 KB · Views: 722
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    323.9 KB · Views: 630
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    342.6 KB · Views: 584
  • 1da.JPG
    1da.JPG
    361.2 KB · Views: 568
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    382.4 KB · Views: 656
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    366.5 KB · Views: 559
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    297.4 KB · Views: 558
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    560.4 KB · Views: 508
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    744.3 KB · Views: 468
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    768.5 KB · Views: 505
Upvote 76

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gotta go banner on these babies. These would instantly be my favorite finds if I made them.

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome digs! And those rings are amazing!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
You are not right man ha hs

Lol. I keep finding that many in our hobby ain't quite right. Or perhaps...Everyone not in our hobby aren't quite right and we're all normal. Yep that must be it.

I say "many" and not "most" since somehow your beautiful ring hasn't yet gotten enough votes for banner. But I'm sure it will

Cheers

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol. I keep finding that many in our hobby ain't quite right. Or perhaps...Everyone not in our hobby aren't quite right and we're all normal. Yep that must be it.

I say "many" and not "most" since somehow your beautiful ring hasn't yet gotten enough votes for banner. But I'm sure it will

Cheers

ha ha OR it may be just you ha

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I missed these awesome finds (get distracted way to easy).

I don't know about Colonial digging except what I read Here, Very nice designs on those baby's.

I think Buckleboy dug a Twin Hearts 'Similar' type ring in LA is the last couple years his also from a Colonial Site (if I recall right) I really would like to know if his had any Design on it's edge???.

Do you Dive or just swing in the shallows ( what machine do you use)?.

Sounds like you are a true "Die Hard" hunter.
Davers

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What if they're companion sweetheart rings? Even the more sweeter! Congrats on such a great hunt that yielded such personal items.

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on a well deserved banner Dan! I love the personal items with hand engraving and those look very early. Great finds!

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks gang...I did not realize it was on banner and today is one of our busiest days at work. I will try to answer as many comments as I can.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I missed these awesome finds (get distracted way to easy).

I don't know about Colonial digging except what I read Here, Very nice designs on those baby's.

I think Buckleboy dug a Twin Hearts 'Similar' type ring in LA is the last couple years his also from a Colonial Site (if I recall right) I really would like to know if his had any Design on it's edge???.

Do you Dive or just swing in the shallows ( what machine do you use)?.

Sounds like you are a true "Die Hard" hunter.
Davers

A little of everything man and I have plenty of machines. These were made in 4' of water with the AT Gold

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on your BANNER find #4 Dan! :occasion14:

They don't come much sweeter or personal then that beautiful ring. :thumbsup:
Dave

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. I believe that they predate my 1770's-80's fur trade rings.

It is a conservative estimate but 75% of the items (probably higher) from this site are 1650-1680s which makes sense as that was at the height of the occupancy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread