🥇 BANNER AMAZINGLY rare variety 1652 Oak Tree Threepence - Find of a lifetime!!!

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. I've been preparing to write this since I found the coin, but I couldn't even concentrate enough to get my thoughts down, let anyone perform my professional or family duties. Let me set this up a little first though. During the course of the past few years, it has become an obsession for me to ponder the infinitesimal probability of finding of a MA tree coin on every property, park, beach, foundation or town square I drive by. When I saw Abe's incredible pine tree shilling a while back, the possibility seemed somehow more real. Here was a guy in what used to be part of Massachusetts, a guy who puts so much effort into his research and traveling to remote locations in search of old dirt, and he found one. Maybe, just maybe, I could find one too. But usually after five more hours in a field with nothing but a couple shotgun headstamps and some melted lead to show for it, the hope seemed to dim just a little more each day. You can tell this is going to be a long post, can't you...
Then came yesterday afternoon - my second day on a new permission, a smallish field that had an original late 17th/early 18th century home nearby. I had seen it last year, but only got up the nerve to ask permission last week when I was getting very discouraged at my usual spots. I hunted three hours the first day and man, what a letdown. I lost track of how many mangled aluminum cans and pulltabs I unearthed. No shoe buckles, no harmonica reeds, no buttons, not even many square nails, and basically no hope. Then I decided to move to a different smaller field and got a toasted large cent in the path that connected the two fields. I was a little more upbeat then, but could manage nothing else but some more garbage.
I came back yesterday though, because the large cent had stoked the fire just enough. I couldn't write this place off after one day, could I? Well, yesterday was pretty much a carbon copy of the first day. Found a bunch of modern junk, then popped what looks like a toasted KGII from a grassy slope adjacent to a stone wall on the high side of the field. Hmm.... Two coppers in 5 hours... but then two more hours of nothing. I realized what time it was and I had to go home and start making dinner for the kids, so I figured I'd swing by the spot I nabbed the copper and head from there to the car. Yup, the ol' trip to the car story! Sure enough, 20 feet into the corn stalks, I had what rang up at 69 on the Deus. Pretty much figured it was a pulltab, and I was pretty beat from two days of yardwork, but you know how you dig it all when you're on the way to the car? I took one shovelful and it was not in the hole. The pinpointer said it was in the dirt, but I couldn't find it. Then I had something round and SMALL in my palm, so I figured it was part of a beavertail. I picked it up and wiped off some dirt off one edge. The dirt was fairly hard to remove, but I thought I saw and N and an E. I thought, could it be? NO way, don't get your hopes up, so I turn it over and give it a soft, spit-laden wipe. Do I see branches? I DO! Wait, these are NOT pine tree branches... What the heck do the other branches on the MA silver coins look like? I couldn't remember because I thought if I ever found a tree coin, it would be the most common variety of pine tree. By this point I'm shaking, I'm down on one knee, resting the coin on my thigh, trying not to die of excitement. I let out a couple loud "YES! I finally did it!" yells, then got back to absorbing the enormity of the moment. I had to go grocery shopping, do all the dishes and that kind of stuff, so I had to wait until tonight to make sure I had my thoughts together. Here's the proof! Sorry the pics are screenshots - hard to remove GPS info on my laptop...
oaktreefield5.png oaktreefield4.png oaktreefield9.png oaktreefield12.png Oaktree1.jpg treecoin3.png
Now comes the BEST part - I got home with the coin and tried to figure out what exactly I had found, but I couldn't find any examples anywhere on any website. I thought that might be good, that it might be rare or super rare, but maybe that was my imagination running away with me again. Then my wife sends me to the grocery story so the kids will have something to eat at school. So there I am, last night in the cereal aisle at Stop and Shop, texting Abe pictures of my coin and asking if he can help with an ID and variety. Like the amazing guy he is, he says he will look it up today for me. I never expected what he would text me though. He said he found it in his book, that it is an NOE 26, 4-A.2 Oak Tree, and there are likely BETWEEN 5-8 OF THESE KNOWN!!! Are you kidding me!!!
Oaktreeinfo.jpg I just found one of the rarest freaking coins in the United States!!! I ran downstairs and told my wife to get off the treadmill and tell me who her daddy is. Then I called Abe, who allowed me to go on like a schoolgirl about the find (he encouraged it, actually) and he expressed the most sincere happiness for my find. What a guy. Here's to you, buddy. Sorry for the super long post, friends. I never thought I'd get this opportunity.
Best of luck to everyone. I can't express enough thanks to everyone on T-net for reading, and to whatever force miraculously led my coil over this coin!

Jeff

Attachments

• oaktreefield1.png
    oaktreefield1.png
    294.6 KB · Views: 837
Upvote 129

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha Ha you're killing me! Do you guys know how much I have wanted to have something that would get these kinds of comments? My kids think I'm a dork, but then again so do most of my friends, but all of you guys "get it" so you're awesome.
Lol. I know this feeling as well. It's nice to have something in your pouch at the end of a hunt that you're anxious to post up for people to see. I'll confess to even going as far as to consider an apt post title while I'm still hunting....Lol . It's part of the enjoyment when you share your find with others who have a like mindset. It's funny. My hunting buddy used to refer to me posting my finds as "nerding it up" but I think he's gradually starting to enjoy the feeling of sharing a good find with others on TNET. I know I do..... And now... as for this phenomenal find and extremely entertaining post.... Major congratulations!! and my banner vote is definitely going in now.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a real beauty all right and definitely one of those finds of a lifetime.
Big congrats on that one.

Btw, I vote BANNER on that one.

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that's a banner find in my book. My vote is in! Congrats on a bucket list find right there!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just put the banner nomination in and made it official.
Good luck. Wait a minute, you already had good luck.
Oh well; more good luck on the banner.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, who's your daddy :notworthy: It's crazy how one minute you're on top of the world and the next minute the wife is sending you to Stop and Shop, lol

You certainly deserve your time in the spotlight with this find brotha. I would kill to find a tree coin never mind a rarity like that one. A super huge congrats to you!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Wow unreal,

Big congrats. That's a awesome coin. I'd be proud to have that one. Perseverance pays off

HH Jer

OP
OP
Dirtwisher

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. Get's my BANNER vote also. Good write up, and should be sent to one of the treasure mags. Congrats.

Thanks Mike! I know; I'm shooting for W and E with this baby. I don't even know how to reach those guys. If anyone has any contact info let me know. I don't subscribe (yet)...

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When did you find this? Today? How long before your energy subsides just enough to sleep. Good for you! Great for you! Fantastic coin and thanks for sharing all the excitement. Your unabashed, honest description of making your big find made for enjoyable reading. I’ve had a few experiences at Stop & Shop, shopping and talking to buddies about what they found, how deep, etc. I now try to refrain from such conversation while waiting in the deli line to avoid confusion. In the past, I might ask my buddy, “Really? That deep? Six inches?” Then the kid behind the deli counter says, “Sir, you want six inches or six pounds of sliced cheese? Are you sure? Either way, that’s a lot of sliced cheese.”

Anyway, congrats on your awesome Mass Silver coin! :headbang: I found an Oak Tree shilling ten years ago, and I’m still digging holes like there’s no tomorrow - all to feel that rush of exhilaration that such a find brings. You won’t forget this thrill anytime soon. You can be certain of that. You have my banner vote for the coin and your story!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
....I don't know - looks like a half-melted chocolate coin to me. -- -- -- NOT! Great job!!

Hmm...there have been some posts recently about newbie MDers wondering if they had to dig every target? I suppose "your" answer would be a big NO! DON'T DIG ANYTHING!! LET "ME" DIG IT!! :laughing9:

Congrads. Well worth the data usage for the read and the pics.

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
Congratulations on an amazing coin...Being from Mass. I hope to find a tree coin someday...That one is very rare..nice find

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible! There are some GREAT colonial finds showing up lately! THIS one is AWESOME! Congrats man, you must be so psyched!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story & great rare silver, although 'known' is at time of publication. As a yardstick, in our recording system, only 1 in 10 get recorded, so that gives you a fair view of how many might be out there.

Also, on a old site, this statement worries me:

"but you know how you dig it all when you're on the way to the car?"

On the Deus I dig EVERYTHING over 10.
:thumbsup: (Never rely on numbers)

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.png
This was Jeffs response when I found mine. I know how much these Mass silvers mean to certain people. Especially here in New England and especially in Masathvsets 8-). Some of us just obsess about these things like some mythical creature that likely isn't real but we keep digging holes just in case it is. The best part of this hobby for me is seeing somebody find that one thing that they completely obsess about. The one thing that stands alone at the top of the list. When Jeff sent me the pics of that coin I knew how much it meant to him. I was sitting there thinking "wow that's such an amazing find!....and this is a guy who truly deserves it and respects it." I get so genuinely excited and satisfied by these rare accomplishments.
Here's part 2 of this story. When you dig a Mass silver the story is only beginning. The ID is another find in itself. Some of these are incredibly rare and some (like mine) are not rare at all (250-499). I've been starting work at 4 am and getting out whenever I just can't continue. I got home last night and began the search for Jeffs coin. These Oak trees are not always the easiest but his had some real tell tale identifiers. I'm not positive but I believe this part of the story could be equally as exciting as the find itself. When I informed him his coin was that crazy rare and explained to him how few of these have ever been touched by human hands it was a pretty cool moment. When you find a coin and there's less than 10 known that puts you in a category that will 99.999999999999999% of us will never be in.
So I am so pleased to welcome you into this Mass silver club and for you to join with the rarest of the rare. Congrats my friend....and now I can finally say "your wife is no longer pissed at me, she's gonna be super PISSED at you brother!"
BANNER

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 136

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude that "who's your daddy" line to the wife is awesome lol. I bet I know here response....and it was not "you". It was "you are such an idiot." At least that's the one I get

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mike! I know; I'm shooting for W and E with this baby. I don't even know how to reach those guys. If anyone has any contact info let me know. I don't subscribe (yet)...

I will get you in touch with the editor. I wrote a story about finding mine so I would always have it in print. They were great to work with. Pretty sure you have some writing ability lol

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread