Silver and gold civil war

VAdigger1988

Jan 12, 2016
VA
Detector(s) used
Garret at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug 1852 seated half dime and 1862 indian princess 1dollar in same hole! 20160423_133405.jpg

Upvote 60

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds VA Digger. :notworthy: Gotta love gold in the hole. I feel these are rare finds, so rare I don't even have them on my bucket list. Heck If I dug that, my head would be so big, that I'd have to sleep in the yard tonight and until it could fit through the door. I read that there were 1.36million produced. Just 1 year and a mint mark away from the key date.

I'll be the 1st to vote banner, CW or not.

OP
OP
VAdigger1988

VAdigger1988

Jan 12, 2016
VA
Detector(s) used
Garret at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well crusader I have to just say your a hard person to please I am 100 % certain with no archaeological layer I found it right beside a breast plate last week and a civil war date on coin and I'm not going to argue because I'm sure you've never found one and with that kind of attitude you never will don't kill my high your just a hater and hate will motivate.

OP
OP
VAdigger1988

VAdigger1988

Jan 12, 2016
VA
Detector(s) used
Garret at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And to all that thanked congratulated and looked or had nice no argumentative comments or "speculation" thanks your the people I post for not the other 2 hard headed people on today's post. Happy hunting everyone and we will see what tomorrow yields

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Well crusader I have to just say your a hard person to please I am 100 % certain with no archaeological layer I found it right beside a breast plate last week and a civil war date on coin and I'm not going to argue because I'm sure you've never found one and with that kind of attitude you never will don't kill my high your just a hater and hate will motivate.

Easy man! I think you should look into Cru's record a bit. He has found gold coins so old and rare that they make pretty much anything else look common. He's fact, free of emotion. Perhaps a "why" instead of calling him a "hater" is a better route, and one in which you'll stand to learn a lot more. Good luck

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't care if those coins were dropped by Robert E. Lee himself or some guy from Jersey. You don't find GOLD coins everyday. Is every Gold coin that is found from here on in going to be suspect??
I am voting Banner.
Congrats on 2 amazing coins.

Last edited:

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crazy... I found the same thing about a month ago, same hole.

Rang up as a solid 63 on the AT Pro.

Congrats :icon_thumleft:

maccounty

Jan 7, 2016
SwMissouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Minelab go find 60 Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super nice finds...the coins and the relics! Congratulations!

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
You have my Banner vote..Enjoy your finds,,I have been noticing that there are a lot of winy folks on here that just can not enjoy some one else having a good day..They should just kiss there own because we do not feel sorry for them!!!.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easy man! I think you should look into Cru's record a bit. He has found gold coins so old and rare that they make pretty much anything else look common. He's fact, free of emotion. Perhaps a "why" instead of calling him a "hater" is a better route, and one in which you'll stand to learn a lot more. Good luck

Thanks, not the first time I've been called a hater (Makes me laugh a lot), but it's always by those unwilling to learn or listen. Nothing I've said was meant to bring down 'a high' only inject some reality & as you state having aspergers gives me a unique view without emotion. I will never be the type to roll out the 'nice find man'.

We are only in a hobby, but the closer to the Archaeological principles we aspire the more respect we will get from those that really do hate us.

Last edited:

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru's raking a highly rational and scientifically correct view on this. Doesn't make him a hater, he's just particular as to the facts. Its your find though, so as long as you are happy that its soldier dropped, that's cool. Its a great find either way, I'll throw in a banner vote for a $1 gold and a half dime in the same hole.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all due respect I must add that speculation can be a factor given for anybody's finds. I well agree with archaeological layers being important to interpretation of excavated artifacts....but we do not have our own little archaeologist along with us when we are out digging holes. We should all become better educated as to how the process should be carried out,as Cru pointed out.However, without proper archaeological oversight on a dig site,who can really say that the Eagle button was lost during a conflict or later during a visit to the battlefield in 1900,post war. Archaeologists use terms such as terminus post quem when interpreting their sites and in doing so they are able to determine if an older looking artifact was in fact lost during its period time or later. If we take an archaeologists way of thinking, then everything we find is suspect,whether it is a surgeons CW limb saw or a Revolutionary War foot soldiers button. Perhaps these were not lost during the 1860s or 1700s but much later and under different circumstances. It really doesn't change much to the archaeologist who will discard any evidence we show,and why? Because they did not supervise our dig site. We really should all try to measure up to the level that these scholars have in duly recording and understanding how that level system works.In most cases here though, we are not digging a pit as they do 5 cm at a time. We hear a signal and we dig it and not our pouch it goes.Cru is right though, we cannot prove anything that we dig is what we think it is,in its context.We speculate, because that's what we do....that is what keeps us searching. If we take everything by a matter of fact way of thinking, then the majority of us should just hang it up for we cannot really prove anything.

Last edited:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's what I call the perfect spill; silver and gold.
Congrats.

OP
OP
VAdigger1988

VAdigger1988

Jan 12, 2016
VA
Detector(s) used
Garret at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20160424_111726.jpg how about this find today does this satisfy it all being cw