Back to the water hole...Colonial silver again! 300+ years of history!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just love my colonial watering holes as they always seem to produce an item or two due to the immense amount of masking iron.

Today I put the wet suit on again and took a little dip. At first things seemed a bit slow, but as always with this one specific site, all you have to do is move 5' and explore. The first find of the day was a fired civil war era three ringer and then followed by a few small colonial shot. About 45 minutes later while working a rock ledge I heard a little squeak and had a feeling it would be silver. A short while later I was holding a nice little cut half reale cob! I forget how many that is from this one site but they are adding up. To make matters funny, I dropped it back in the water shortly after cleaning it and spent another 10 minutes trying to recover it for a second time.

After that things began rolling a little more. Button here, musket ball there piece of lead and brass. Three buttons that caught my eye (out of the six that i recovered) were these. First was a nice stone inset cuff (early 18th century) with a nice pewter setting. I recovered one like this last summer though the stone was different. Another was a big pewter flat button with unique "crown collage" design on the face and stamped with an "R" on the back. I wish this one was in better shape as most pewter buttons from this site come out perfect. Last was the BIG pewter two-piece blowhole button (in rough shape). I first thought it was a croatal bell at first until I saw the seam and the shank.

I also managed to recover a few more brass nails and tacks along with what I thought was a gold hammered small coin at first. Still not convinced that it is not gold, but can't make any design out.

Total was the cob, six buttons, four or five musket balls, the CW three ringer and CW pistol bullet along with the other colonial era lead shot. To round things out was the lead sheathing... I love these from these sites as you can see the square nail holes and such for their use.

More cobs for me! ha ha

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    785.8 KB · Views: 235
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    448.1 KB · Views: 219
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    428.8 KB · Views: 199
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    597 KB · Views: 196
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    412.2 KB · Views: 187
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    363.7 KB · Views: 174
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    384.1 KB · Views: 179
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    385.4 KB · Views: 177
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    436.1 KB · Views: 189
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    351.1 KB · Views: 186
  • 1k.JPG
    1k.JPG
    551.4 KB · Views: 184
  • 1l.JPG
    1l.JPG
    438.3 KB · Views: 196
  • 1m.JPG
    1m.JPG
    325.5 KB · Views: 226
  • 1n.JPG
    1n.JPG
    323.6 KB · Views: 210
  • 1o.JPG
    1o.JPG
    586.1 KB · Views: 182
  • 1p.JPG
    1p.JPG
    357.8 KB · Views: 181
Upvote 26

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a site!! Are you wading or diving? I'd be investing in some dive gear and spending lots of time underwater. Excellent finds! !

Rivers rat

Oct 21, 2012
LONDON UK
Detector(s) used
Deus/Laser scout
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool finds those nails are cool found some today but i am in UK they found them in France beaches too....

RR

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent finds Dan. Who's ahead in that little silver competition with your buddy?

Congrats on that Water Cob! Phew!

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool finds those nails are cool found some today but i am in UK they found them in France beaches too....

RR

Thanks man. I have found a bunch of nails at this site and more than usual, I keep them because they help in dating the various areas.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice hunt man. I knew it was an extreme longshot to pull out another one of those awesome rings, but at least you still brought home some nice early silver.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent finds Dan. Who's ahead in that little silver competition with your buddy?

Congrats on that Water Cob! Phew!

Steve -our little competition only applies to when we're hunting together, and it wasn't our usual high scoring affair this season. But we've both dug a good number of silvers when hunting on our own. So the overall numbers will end up fairly respectable.

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing site you got there! I've been thinking of hitting some old shoreline around here but need to do some research to see what might be productive. I can just see myself getting discouraged finding a bunch of garbage. What tipped you off that you might have a good site to check out, a lot of maritime commerce or just a swimming area?

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing site you got there! I've been thinking of hitting some old shoreline around here but need to do some research to see what might be productive. I can just see myself getting discouraged finding a bunch of garbage. What tipped you off that you might have a good site to check out, a lot of maritime commerce or just a swimming area?

Lots of research and exploring. It was an area with decent colonial activity both on and off the water

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The display stump is once again full with some sweet finds. Congrats. Always enjoy your posts.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt man. I knew it was an extreme longshot to pull out another one of those awesome rings, but at least you still brought home some nice early silver.

Yea I actually was hoping for another one, but I doubt I will ever dig another one. Still keeping up the coin count here though. Still good for about every 1.5-2 trips

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible finds! Love that cob!

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
A fine hunt Dan. Another nice piece of early silver and some quality early relics. Can't ask for much more.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Great outing, Again. Keep the treasure coming! I would almost bet there are many spots just like this one that are yet to be found. Good Luck, and Be Safe!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread