Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a new spot today. I was told that a bucket of coins was found here in the late 50s early 60s. I was tired of searching my same old spot over and over with no results so I thought id give it a try. This person told me his grandpop found hundreds of cobs at this spot and has been telling me for a couple years that I should go take a look. It is a solid rock point that becomes exposed at low tide. I was very skeptical because many people beachcomb and fish near this spot and how could anyone overlook anything. Unfortunately I missed the low tide and got there with the tide half up and roaring in. In less than a minute there I found my first ship spike. I had no metal detector and was just walking and searching the rocks and tide pools. Now I see iron conglomerate and ship spikes everywhere. Now im slowing down and actually digging in some of the tide pools with my bare hands. I dug up a very old bottle top and some square head copper nails. I piled all the metal objects I could in a bucket to bring home and examine. Only got to search for about an hour and a half before the tide was in. Several pieces looked to be cobs but one in particular im almost certain is. Im cleaning it now with several of the good spikes. photo-65.JPG
Some of the iron it dont look like much but some are definitely old ship spikes. photo-66.JPG photo-67.JPG photo-70.JPG photo-68.JPG
I will post pics of cleaned up objects in a little bit im working on them now.

Upvote 13

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Makes me mad as hell when you are not breaking any laws but the law enforcement still forces you to leave. Might be better to go back on a cloudy day during the week when there are no other people around to complain. You mentioned that all three of you were having a great morning. Was that you and the two kayakers or you with two buddies metal detecting? If there were three of you metal detecting you might want to come back by yourself next time. Three diggers gets a lot more attention than one. I was looking forward to seeing what you might find today.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just me and the 2 tourist kyakers. Unfortunately they got scared away too. I looked up while the officer was talking to me and they were about 1/2 mile down the shoreline. Ecmjamsit has it right some people think they own it all. Oh well. I will go to plan B like ecmjamsit says.

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
Just me and the 2 tourist kyakers. Unfortunately they got scared away too. I looked up while the officer was talking to me and they were about 1/2 mile down the shoreline. Ecmjamsit has it right some people think they own it all. Oh well. I will go to plan B like ecmjamsit says.

They were probably a half mile down the shore because they're the ones who whipped out their phones and called the police. Give it a few months and go back when there are no "good Samaritans" nearby.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't forget about the next hurricane! I have read some stories of magnificent finds after the big storms. Places that were buried deep under the sand become uncovered after some violent wave action. I think most of the finds were around Sebastian Inlet on the Space Coast, but the same principles apply to the Keys area too. If there is silver there, there is probably some gold too! And remember when there is a hurricane, most folks evacuate.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats what I really need. A nice big blow to move some sand around always have done good after the big blows. Havent seen any good blows for a long time cant even remeber when. Maybe 2005.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet a cob piece! And ship, spikes. Congrats!

It sucks when people do that, like they own it all.
Thats why i like early Sunday morning to detect, those with objections are usually not up yet to object!

.....can't wait for the invention of the invisible detecting suit!

Ya, take your detector out for a walk in the rain. Hopefully its raining enough they can't see that far.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Blak Bart; GREAT JOB.!!! I'm glad my trick worked for you. Looks GREAT.!!! The bottle is probably the same age s the coin. The brown colored glass came after the black glass. That puts it roughly at the 1680 - 1720 era to start ok. I can hardly wait for the others to chime in here. Awesome Find. Save ALL the glass and pottery you find ok. PEACE:RONB NOW GET BACK OUT THERE !!!! :headbang:

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I think that bottle tp may actually be a part of a "ONION" type bottle that was very popular in the early 1700's. I think you have a wreck site there. Use a detector and dig EVERY signal. Also try sifting the area. You'll be amazed at what comes up. That coin sure does look like a cob. Congrats. I can hardly wait to see it cleaned up. Way to go. I guess the key word in cleaning here is GENTLE does it ok. Post the pictures after you clean it ok. PEACE:RONB

To me the taper on the bottle after the neck doesn't look like a squat onion but who knows

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wealthy complain they jump most law enforcement don't know what the law says I keep a copy of my detecting permit and city ordanances. I would go to a lawyer see if he can clarify what your rights are it would be worth it before Mel Fisher shows up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know what , its not the first time ive been told to stop, and it wont be the last. Its a small community and I wont rock the boat over this, hell I know half the people in law enforcement down here. I dont think it was the kyakers either we had a pretty nice banter going they gave me a soda and I helped id some shells for them. But there is one thing that really ticks me off , being accused of flipping over coral heads. I make a living off this ecosystem as a fisherman and thats a heavy accusation down here. Anyway ill let some time pass and then test the waters again. Ill be posting up some pics of some of the stuff I did pick up as I clean them up. I have a couple of mystery objects for you guys to help me identify. Thanks barker for the bottle info thats pretty much what I thought but its nice to here it from others too

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Good idea to check out the Laws but do it DISCREETLY and recover everything you can get your hands on BEFORE the Forces that be descend upon YOUR discovery. Me, I'd shut up and just keep salvaging it until there is nothing left to find. The "Authorities" "WILL" try to take it all away from you. Don't be a fool ok. Don't let NO ONE know what you found. Word spreads FAST ok. Silence is Golden. !!! PEACE:RONB

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the eyeball cob find! :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear about the police BUT I would do some reseach on what the law actually is. When I say research I do not mean that you should call someone as all you'll get is a flat out NO by whoever answers the phone. Just look online at the codes/ordinances...etc...

I think a snorkel might be a good option to use on the outgoing tide. Put all of your finds in a bucket under water & then when the tide is out go thru your finds.

Definitely go back there before it gets all sanded in by a storm.

Keep us posted & fight the good fight!

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At a minimum, hit the tide pools and nook/crannies with a pinpointer! Looking forward to the future finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions