Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a new spot today. I was told that a bucket of coins was found here in the late 50s early 60s. I was tired of searching my same old spot over and over with no results so I thought id give it a try. This person told me his grandpop found hundreds of cobs at this spot and has been telling me for a couple years that I should go take a look. It is a solid rock point that becomes exposed at low tide. I was very skeptical because many people beachcomb and fish near this spot and how could anyone overlook anything. Unfortunately I missed the low tide and got there with the tide half up and roaring in. In less than a minute there I found my first ship spike. I had no metal detector and was just walking and searching the rocks and tide pools. Now I see iron conglomerate and ship spikes everywhere. Now im slowing down and actually digging in some of the tide pools with my bare hands. I dug up a very old bottle top and some square head copper nails. I piled all the metal objects I could in a bucket to bring home and examine. Only got to search for about an hour and a half before the tide was in. Several pieces looked to be cobs but one in particular im almost certain is. Im cleaning it now with several of the good spikes. photo-65.JPG
Some of the iron it dont look like much but some are definitely old ship spikes. photo-66.JPG photo-67.JPG photo-70.JPG photo-68.JPG
I will post pics of cleaned up objects in a little bit im working on them now.

Upvote 13

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully it is. Cool mallet bottle neck, it would be cool to find a whole one of those too.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a lot of iron which I don't think suggests a random site. I'm betting something did happen there, and your friends story may be true. That bottle is a great one, and suggests some age to the site too

Why don't you try doing some sifting? I bet you'd have some luck. Last, I hope that one encrusted bit happens to be a cob. Let us know!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hope to see the cleaned results. As Scrappy said, something may of happened there. Hope it is good news.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Lost Treasure of Matecumbe! I dunno...good luck with future searches!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I think that bottle tp may actually be a part of a "ONION" type bottle that was very popular in the early 1700's. I think you have a wreck site there. Use a detector and dig EVERY signal. Also try sifting the area. You'll be amazed at what comes up. That coin sure does look like a cob. Congrats. I can hardly wait to see it cleaned up. Way to go. I guess the key word in cleaning here is GENTLE does it ok. Post the pictures after you clean it ok. PEACE:RONB

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi BB; Here's a trick for cleaning coins that have been submerged for a long time and are all greyish. The grey is actually Silver Oxide ok. Here it is :

Take a small piece of tin foil, shiny side up. Form a cup in the center of the foil to put the coin into. Then pour common salt into the bottom of the cup making sure to "cover" the whole bottom f the cup. Then pour in a bit of Clear Vinegar. Just enough to coat the bottom ok. Then place the coin int the cup centering it. Then pour more salt over the top of the coin. Cover it "completely". Then pour in enough vinegar to cover the coin. NOW: Fold the tin foil into the center of the cup making sure it has good contact with the coin. The more contact the better. Wait about 20 - 30 minutes. Then open it up and rinse the coin in warm water and dry it. Rinse it until it looks clean to get off any residue from the salt. Then if any black remains "GENTLY" "push" off the black with a wooden toothpick to bring out the Silver. If need be repeat the above process again using clean tin foil ok. It may 2 -3 x but it usually works on the first try ok. You will be very surprised to see how well the coins oxide was cleaned off. It works great. I do it all the time ok. Let us know how you make out. PEACE:RONB
PS: This only sounds harder than it really is to do ok.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya baby!!! Looks good. I see a cross. Nothing on one side but the other side is definitely a winner. Its well worn but I say yes?? What say you??? I hate to say it but I finally just slapped it down on the table and the entire sulphide crust fell right off. So much for gentle !!! Here she is tell me what you think. photo-69.JPG

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its small hopefully mackydon can help photo-71.JPG
I gotta figure out how old that bottle top is. Ill post it to the bottle forum get as close a date as possible. Best news is I got a new spot and its hot low tide is 830 tomorrow got to get up early. Im fired up hope I can sleep. Im still playing with iron spikes and stuff.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photo-74.JPG
Side a photo-73.JPG
Side b photo-72.JPG
Smaller than a dime. photo-75.JPG
Some spikes.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I say hell yessess!! Clipped and beaten, but that's looking real nice.

Thanks for helping keep this forum interesting .

Steve

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wowee. You found real treasure like you read about! If it was me, I'd probably delete the thread...lol

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The cross indicates it's Spanish. The design at the end of the cross bar is similar to coins minted in Mexico City (verses a "T" end to each crossbar which would indicate other mints, but not Mexico City). The denomination of the coin can be estimated using 27.5 grams as the standard for an 8 reales coin. (Other most likely denominations would be 4R, 2R, 1R, and 1/2R). If you coin weighs more than it's proportional weight (compared to the 8R) then it's the next higher denomination.
Don.....

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soak the cob in lemon juice if you haven't already. That's how I cleaned my cobs. They turned out great! That would have been crazy if you found a whole onion bottle, and black glass at that. Black glass English onion bottles are supreme!

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, that's a cob.....cross in full view there. Probably a half reale.

1HappyHunter

Feb 16, 2015
South East Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Amazing finds and just the beginning of an amazing adventure!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the COB recovery! Looks like you have an interesting site to hunt! GL & HH.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to my spot with high hopes and got shut down quickly by the law. I pull up to the spot and there are already 2 people there having brunch on there kyayks and picking shells. I say oh well and pull out the metal detector and start going at it. I start filling my pockets with more ships spikes and pot shards that I can see here and there. All three of us are having a great morning. About a half hour later I see blue flashing lights on a jet ski of all things heading my way. He comes right up to me and says you need to leave no metal detecting here. Then he says we had a report of someone flipping over coral heads and treasure hunting. I say thats crazy how can I flip over coarl heads on dry land. He says im asking you to put away the metal detector please dont make this an issue. I say arent I allowed to detect between the high and low tide mark. He says you probably are but im asking you to put it away or these people are gonna call the sherriff next and its gonna be a problem. He says what are you finding. Im thinking oh no here we go. I pull out a hand full of ships spikes and potshards and he says see theres just a bunch of rusty nails and crap here anyway. He says listen its probably one of the people from those houses to the north of us, why dont you go down there to the public park and try the swimming beach theres probably a lot more stuff there. At this point im getting the old im gonna beat you with my billy stick look. So I give him the yes sir , yes sir, wont happen again sir. And here I am on the couch treasure wishing instead of treasure hunting. So in the meantime ill sit here and fondle my new cob for the next week and start busting open some conglomerate. Maybe the flaming cross of goa will be hidden in there. Time for a rum and coke and a burger. Like swarzaneger said in terminator "ill be back"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions