Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My hunt today was a good...ooh! My first SBA, a 45 record insert, 11 wheats, And a couple of silvers...or so I thought.

The 1944 P war nickel has me scratching my head. :icon_scratch:

When I found it, it was tarnished pretty black, as they typically are pulled deep from the turf...but when I cleaned it up with soap and water, she shined up pretty clean...OK...?

When I unintentionally tossed it on the granite countertop, it didn't sound anything like I expected, literally a thud....OK....?

So I grabbed the other 8 war nickels I've found, and compared them....
The 8 had the light plink sound of I guess copper and silver alloy, but the new one, still, thud.

The weight of my 8 average 4.79 grams, accounting for wear, should be 5 grams. The new one, 4.5 grams, but not nearly the wear as others.

The silver test kit revealed a black stain on the cotton, not red, indicative of silver...

Now guy, this is the kicker...I have NEVER found a nickel that rang up as a 75 on the At Pro...
All the other ones, a solid 55, this one, when I found it, thought I was pulling a wheat. Sure enough, scanned it again, compared to the others, still 75.... WTF?:dontknow:

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Compared to the others...
image.jpeg image.jpeg

None of the pieces respond to a magnet, nor should they...

The Henning Counterfeit was my first inclination, but the P mint mark is on the reverse, telling me it's not a Henning...but what is it?

The 75 on the detector has me baffled.

So, tell me what you think, oh, pics of other finds, for your enjoyment...
image.jpeg

Thanks for looking!:hello:

Upvote 15

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright, read that thread. The answer that fits was that the soil/minerals/fertilizers in the ground can react with the manganese tin the war nickel and leach it out. As the manganese disappears, you are left with copper and silver both high conducters. Hence a higher VDI. (Thanks to Raphis over there). It could also explain the weight loss. Doesn't explain the "thud".

Possibly if the maganese leached out leaving a tiny space or crack inside, would produce a hollow thud?

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am impressed and thankful for all the input... Underminer, TommyG, and MsBeep, I think your theories are pointing me in the right direction, hard to pinpoint which is closest to an explanation.... This week will be a long one at work, only cuz I'm off 4th week...hopefully, as my work route is getting trashed, I'll have plenty of time to get this puppy checked out...

Thankyou all, for following this thread... Your responses have been aspirin for my hurting head!

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't tell you what's going on with your nickel. Last year and still new with the A.T. Pro I got a 84 hit and thought for sure a silver dime, 1945-P war nickel?

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still have it? Do an air test compared to other war nicks... Curious.

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is another metal detecting forum that is Friendly. if you search "200 Nickels and not one War Nickel??" you can read some input from a few members there that explain what may be causing the nickel you've found to ring up a little higher. Most point to the Manganese content in the nickel changing over time.

I know that the second war nickel I found did the same thing, ring up 12-40 on my Etrac. Every war nickel since has been arounf 12-14/12-15.

Just read the Friendly thread....
I am leaning towards this explanation, it seems more plausible, since there seems to be other examples and experiences.. Still, gonna get this looked at, next week hopefully...

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just checked the 1945-P war nickel and a few others, the 45-P rang up 79-80. One other rang up 72-73 and the others were more like you typical nickel hits.

Just edited my post, it was a 45-P.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hmmmm..... My brow is raised, stroking my beard, with a questionable look on my face.
Interesting....very interesting.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't have AT PRO anymore but I'll check the war nickels I found with DEUS see if there is any VDI deviation

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok......... Now I have a headache. Conducted experiment with the war nickels I have excavated. DEUS using Basic program 18K frequency. See photo, sorry about poor handwriting but I was limited on time. Year and mint. VDI reading. Weight in grams

Note the very high VDI Reading on the 1942 S. Example Very interesting

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467158223.250459.jpg

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:what::what::what:
All the 45's come up as 71!!??

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If zinc, it would most likely be degraded by decades in the ground. If a zinc coated steel planchet (1943 penny) the zinc should be gone and you would have a rusted disc, as well as the coin would be penny size.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread