ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
All they are is huge bullets. Too bad she was scared of them. They won't hurt you. I have three now I have found. Newest is dated 1926.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet! We used to throw them in campfires overseas. Scared the bujeezus out of the newbies!!!! :laughing7:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Get a vice grip, twist the projectile off the top.

Scatter some of the powder, (about 10 grains) into an ash tray.

Toss another 20 grains into the campfire.

Scatter some of it into your mother-in-laws luggage before she travels through TSA.

Just a few thoughts, not that you should actually do any of these...

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
My father was a .50 cal. machine gunner in WWII. He died last year. I don't think I'd want them in the house, either. Personal opinion, though.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
and you needed these why? Your wife is smart. listen to her...

You completely lost me. WHY is a bullet dangerous. Even if it was in a fire it would just explode like a firecracker. A loud one mind you.

I was a cop for 9 years and I have handled and shot thousands and thousands of bullets. Maybe you wouldn't like the 100lb WW1 bombs I have in my house? Or the guns I have found underwater?

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
People wear bullets around their waists on gun belts. Firecrackers are more dangerous.

cfdfire

Feb 26, 2012
Jamestown
Detector(s) used
Fisher 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen a few as people use to drop them off at the fire station.Harmless unless to you to fire them off

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
and you needed these why? Your wife is smart. listen to her...

Absolutely!

There you are sitting quietly on the couch when one of these bad boys rolls itself across the living room floor and explodes destroying the TV while enjoying Honey Bo-Bo reruns and tofu rice cakes...

Dangerous they are~

OP
OP
tyeehunter

tyeehunter

Sep 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get me wrong, I have a couple of hunting rifles in the house with their bullets. No problem with those, I have a couple of little curious boys too.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A shame to have to throw them away. Next time just pull the bullet from the casing with a pair of vice grips, dump the powder and punch the primer out. Or simply take them to a gun shop and let them do it and re-seat the bullet. A little time in a tumbler and they can shine up pretty nice!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remington Arms 50 cal from 1942, not a lot of ww2 history where I live. I was sad to see them go.  Looks like they were used for plane mounted machine guns. Next time I find one it will stay in the garage away from prying eyes.

Interesting you should say plane mounted. This is how I think mine got into random fields around the WWII airbases.(not that near, sometimes miles)

However, someone recently stated that couldn't happen.

OPEN QUESTION - How did these fall out of planes? (I never get them in belts, only in 1s, or 2s, or upto 5 or so in a field.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS. Does the shed or garage count as the house?:thumbsup: Thought for next time, its not in the house love.

OP
OP
tyeehunter

tyeehunter

Sep 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting you should say plane mounted. This is how I think mine got into random fields around the WWII airbases.(not that near, sometimes miles)

However, someone recently stated that couldn't happen.

OPEN QUESTION - How did these fall out of planes? (I never get them in belts, only in 1s, or 2s, or upto 5 or so in a field.

There was a ww2 airbase close by, I've found 10 or so of the business ends in the same area. They must have been doing some target practice. I am sure I can go back and find some more of the 50 Cal bullets, just have to wait for the grass to die back a bit it's about 6 feet tall at the moment.

BTW after showing my wife the response from this post she is okay with me keeping any more that I find. I will be do my best to remove the powder.
As you all know non ferrous squeaks except pull tabs, bottle caps, twisted nails, tin bits, can slaw, is precious to us detectorists. Anything linked to history, and old coins etc is what makes me tick. Also anything gold or silver!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread