A park found on accident reveals a BIG, unexpected find!

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy T-netters! Woke up this morning anxious to seek out a site called Bayard Point. I had mentioned it in my last thread (burned down between 1690 and 1703). Took my son with me in an attempt to detect it. A long drive down a sandy road led to a dead end, as it was posted with signs a treasure seeker hates.....no entrance, private property, no thoroughfare, no trespassing. I admit that took some getting over. Went back to Green Cove Springs and decided to look up parks in that area that might be interesting. One park in particular was nothing more than a sports complex. No shade trees meant no relief from the sun. I have never hunted a sports complex, but perhaps I'll save that one for later in the year. A huge facility! Decided to go down some secondary roads in town and spotted a park/playground with some huge live oak trees and palm trees. Cha-Ching! Could make up for a bad start I was thinking. Nothing great as you can see by the pics, but the slightly smaller, cylinder shape thing is a 50 caliber cartridge! I trained soldiers for years on the M2 50 Cal machine gun and knew what it was the minute I plucked it 5 inches down. How odd for it to be there. Have no idea what the other cylinder shaped object is, but it is brass. The huge, flat, donut thing is very old. Green Cove Springs was a hot spot during the Civil War, so who knows. The small, lead ball I believe may be a musket ball. The hole goes all the way through it. It rang up at about a 73 on my White's. Any input would be helpful. NEVER MIND.....I COMPARED IT TO A MUSKET BALL FOUND AT MY COLONIAL SITE LAST YEAR (Fort Point Peter). THIS HOLED ONE I FOUND IS THE SAME SIZE/CALIBER AS THE ONES FROM THAT COLONIAL SITE. I THINK THE BROWN CRUSTINESS ON IT THREW ME OFF. USED AS A BEAD OR SOME KIND OF GAME PIECE I GUESS.

A brass lock with a key that didn't match up, a religious bottle opener, a brass ring (sitting in middle of large iron donut), a shotgun cap, quarter, dime, nickel, 1975 copper Lincoln, and a 1946 wheatie rounded out the day. There were other large chunks of flat iron I didn't take with us, to include rusty nails and part of a door hinge. Started getting hot and called it a day. Enjoy the pics! HH!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 194
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 188
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 191
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 184
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 183
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Upvote 17
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice relic hunt with some interesting finds! :occasion14:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It can't always be an 8 escudo.

OP
OP
W

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It can't always be an 8 escudo.

Oh, believe me, I know. Would be nice, but I just enjoy the idea of finding the unexpected.....not knowing what may come my way. May be a a civil war site in the very near future according to my neighbor. His brother lives where bayonets and minie balls have been found. Hell yeah!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya did better than I did I wonder how hard it would be to get permission to hunt the no trespassing site. Great post thanks for sharing with us!!Keep up the good finds

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!
I always have questions when bullet casings turn up in school yards, but i figure the kids bring them to show friends and lose them.

Large flat iron thing, a grinding wheel for a drill?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy T-netters! Woke up this morning anxious to seek out a site called Bayard Point. I had mentioned it in my last thread (burned down between 1690 and 1703). Took my son with me in an attempt to detect it. A long drive down a sandy road led to a dead end, as it was posted with signs a treasure seeker hates.....no entrance, private property, no thoroughfare, no trespassing. I admit that took some getting over. Went back to Green Cove Springs and decided to look up parks in that area that might be interesting. One park in particular was nothing more than a sports complex. No shade trees meant no relief from the sun. I have never hunted a sports complex, but perhaps I'll save that one for later in the year. A huge facility! Decided to go down some secondary roads in town and spotted a park/playground with some huge live oak trees and palm trees. Cha-Ching! Could make up for a bad start I was thinking. Nothing great as you can see by the pics, but the slightly smaller, cylinder shape thing is a 50 caliber cartridge! I trained soldiers for years on the M2 50 Cal machine gun and knew what it was the minute I plucked it 5 inches down. How odd for it to be there. Have no idea what the other cylinder shaped object is, but it is brass. The huge, flat, donut thing is very old. Green Cove Springs was a hot spot during the Civil War, so who knows. The small, lead ball I believe may be a musket ball. The hole goes all the way through it. It rang up at about a 73 on my White's. Any input would be helpful. NEVER MIND.....I COMPARED IT TO A MUSKET BALL FOUND AT MY COLONIAL SITE LAST YEAR (Fort Point Peter). THIS HOLED ONE I FOUND IS THE SAME SIZE/CALIBER AS THE ONES FROM THAT COLONIAL SITE. I THINK THE BROWN CRUSTINESS ON IT THREW ME OFF. USED AS A BEAD OR SOME KIND OF GAME PIECE I GUESS.

A brass lock with a key that didn't match up, a religious bottle opener, a brass ring (sitting in middle of large iron donut), a shotgun cap, quarter, dime, nickel, 1975 copper Lincoln, and a 1946 wheatie rounded out the day. There were other large chunks of flat iron I didn't take with us, to include rusty nails and part of a door hinge. Started getting hot and called it a day. Enjoy the pics! HH!

Hey WWB
That's a Decent hunt.
The 50 cal shell is Cool.

I despise those "Sign's " as Well , Mostly put up for Illegal Dumping & Poachers.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I know a remedy for those no trespassing signs. All you need is some old metal and some rusty nails. Make a sign that says "Except Detectorists". Nail it under the no trespassing sign and walla!!

You can act innocent as you are taken to jail!! Glad I am lots of help!

The date on the 50 looks like 1942. Which means WW2 vintage. Nice finds.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO There should be a Time Limit on These signs Say 1 ,5, or 10 years.

I have hunted many places that were ok to hunt but old No Trespassing signs were still up everywhere , .

Old looking signs should not count, A Great lawyer could get you out of some charges when old signs are involved ill bet.
Def, not worth the Money tho.

I'm a bad bad Guy. Old signs ...I take them down as they look bad in the Landscape. kidding of Course.

WWB You stating a CW area was near you tells me you might live in N FL if so do you Know Where Palatka Fl is?
That's Where my Mom , Grew Up & is Buried right by her Dad.
I kinda like that place being right on the St. Johns River.
GD & GL
Davers

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That religious bottle opener gives me the feeling that it was a different kind of church key. lol
Congrats on a good hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions