Upvote 30

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations!:occasion14:

What's the story, weight?

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's not a nugget, that's a rock!! Sweet!!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a really nice chunk of Gold and appears to me that it might be a rare form of Leaf Gold!:thumbsup: If so, then you likely found it not far from it's source (i.e. where it eroded out). Being from Massachusetts, you must have been very ecstatic when you found it! Do you have any videos of you doing the "Happy Dance"?:toothy1: I hope you are still out there looking! In any case whether you are or not, the next time you go there, search up slope, up hill, up drywash or up stream from that location, whichever may be the case in respect to where it was found. I have posted a link below about some rare types of Gold and your's looks a lot like the one shown on the right side of the page which I am pretty sure is a rare Leaf Gold specimen.

Other Forms of Gold

On another note, although the O.P's Gold specimen was found last weekend and not today or yesterday, it should surely still qualify for a Banner, right!!?? My Banner vote for this find is in.

Frank

Last edited:

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that's incredible. I'm assuming you were metal detecting? Would love to hear the story behind your find. Congrats!

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in your PM you said you had posted samples of some calcite you hoped had gold in, that you sent home didn't find any posting.
how did you get this crystalline nugget out of the calcite or was it found that way, we would like to hear all the juicy details...

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a really nice chunk of Gold and appears to me that it might be a rare form of Leaf Gold!:thumbsup: If so, then you likely found it not far from it's source (i.e. where it eroded out). Being from Massachusetts, you must have been very ecstatic when you found it! Do you have any videos of you doing the "Happy Dance"?:toothy1: I hope you are still out there looking! In any case whether you are or not, the next time you go there, search up slope, up hill, up drywash or up stream from that location, whichever may be the case in respect to where it was found. I have posted a link below about some rare types of Gold and your's looks a lot like the one shown on the right side of the page which I am pretty sure is a rare Leaf Gold specimen.

Other Forms of Gold

On another note, although the O.P's Gold specimen was found last weekend and not today or yesterday, it should surely still qualify for a Banner, right!!?? My Banner vote for this find is in.

Frank

I'm for Banner also, but need more details first. Winners58 said what I was thinking. ...Only I didn't get a Pm - was remembering calcite from the posts.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is really cool. The most I have found is a little flour gold in Az. Banner vote for me.

OP
OP
J

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It unfolded into a sheet. I found ot with my bare hands on the surface. It was directly above the place I planned to visit. Though, I did not dig much or use a detector.

OP
OP
J

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rare? What is a banner find...LOL.
Do I needan Ebay account for this find?

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That is big! Crystaline too! I am definitely voting banner!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
J

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pics Gold Prospecting forum

Found a nugget in Northern CA and calcite in the Sierra Nevada mountains.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Rare? What is a banner find...LOL.
Do I needan Ebay account for this find?
Huh?? Why would you mention eBay?

Also, I just clicked on the pic for the first time (trying to save on data usage, you know). First off, the pic is quite fuzzy. Second, you said, "It unfolded into a sheet", though I see no fold marks. That's not saying much, as the image is out of focus. But you mention how you found this on the surface, even though gold is one of the heaviest metals to exist - it LIKES to work its way under lighter materials.

Finally, after enlarging the pic, that piece looks really thin - like maybe some type of foil. Could that be? Could it be gold-colored foil? Could it be crystalline or leaf gold? I haven't a clue.(!!) The color looks to be about right - but then I'm no expert!!

It's really interesting at this point, and I, for one, would love (DEARLY!!) to see some better pics and know the weight/dimensions. But it baffles the hell out of me that you would bring up eBay. I'm hoping very much that it was just a poor choice of words.

Agent Green

Jul 19, 2013
Midwest
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Tesoro Silver Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats some treasure, congrats on the finds!! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread