20160724_154726.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 439
Upvote 30

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It unfolded into a sheet. I found ot with my bare hands on the surface. It was directly above the place I planned to visit. Though, I did not dig much or use a detector.

I believe you implicitly

OP
OP
J

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am fluent in English and Spanish. My primary language is Italian. Please realize I speak English not like a person from England more like a person from Italy who also speaks Spanish. :)

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Huh?? Why would you mention eBay?

Also, I just clicked on the pic for the first time (trying to save on data usage, you know). First off, the pic is quite fuzzy. Second, you said, "It unfolded into a sheet", though I see no fold marks. That's not saying much, as the image is out of focus. But you mention how you found this on the surface, even though gold is one of the heaviest metals to exist - it LIKES to work its way under lighter materials.

Finally, after enlarging the pic, that piece looks really thin - like maybe some type of foil. Could that be? Could it be gold-colored foil? Could it be crystalline or leaf gold? I haven't a clue.(!!) The color looks to be about right - but then I'm no expert!!

It's really interesting at this point, and I, for one, would love (DEARLY!!) to see some better pics and know the weight/dimensions. But it baffles the hell out of me that you would bring up eBay. I'm hoping very much that it was just a poor choice of words.

jza01701 is fairly new here, is likely Italian since Italian is his primary language and I am pretty sure that he does not understand the process for a find to get a Banner, thus the question as to whether he needs an eBay account! I have been in contact with the O.P. and have no reason to believe that he is lying about the find. Why can't folks here on Treasure Net just cut him some slack?? And most of all, I really and truly hope that this Thread of his is not going to be befallen by the same skepticism and cynicism as his previous Threads!

Frank

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jza01701 is fairly new here, is likely Italian since Italian is his primary language and I am pretty sure that he does not understand the process for a find to get a Banner, thus the question as to whether he needs an eBay account! I have been in contact with the O.P. and have no reason to believe that he is lying about the find. Why can't folks here on Treasure Net just cut him some slack?? And most of all, I really and truly hope that this Thread of his is not going to be befallen by the same skepticism and cynicism as his previous Threads!

Frank

Frank, ever hear the phrase "trust but verify"?
If I tell you I found a rock in my driveway- thats easy to believe- right?

If I tell you I found a 5 pound platinum nugget in my driveway- do you believe it? Why not?
I have no reason not to believe him, but I understand wanting to know more about finding such gold on the surface

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Frank, ever hear the phrase "trust but verify"?
If I tell you I found a rock in my driveway- thats easy to believe- right?

If I tell you I found a 5 pound platinum nugget in my driveway- do you believe it? Why not?
I have no reason not to believe him, but I understand wanting to know more about finding such gold on the surface

I understand totally but no one needs the bashing and trashing that goes on on this site by certain individuals. They need to follow Treasure Nets rules or be banned for awhile. I am sorry but that is how I feel!! As stated in my previous post, I have been in contact with jza01701 via PM's. He has divulged information to me that sounds very credible but I cannot and will not divulge what he wrote me in confidence. Lets just say that some of what he divulged, most folks would have a hard time coming up with the information if making up a story. I even advised him that he had divulged too much information location-wise on some posts and that he should edit the posts but he has left them as written.

If it turns out to be a bogus find or pull of the old leg, then I will take the hit and blame. Okay?

Frank

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I imagine you will be returning to the location where that sweet hunk of gold was found. I know I would.
Congrats on one sweet find.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Grazie. I am a Christian. I could take more photographs of thr specimen when I return home on the bus tomorrow toward Boston. The specimen is in fact real and the picture is my own hand. I did not know what a "Banner Find" would yranslate to in English. Often, thpugh I am fluent in English, texting is without speaking and hearing the conversation is more difficult. Obviously, if any of my postings seem off the mark... It is only that I speak three languages fluently. I would gladly appreciate the privelege of having my specimen termed a Banner Find. As for information, I am now 2500 miles from California. My partner said to frame the specimen and not to sell it. We will be keeping it. I would like suggestions regarding finding its source. Ciao. Gian.

OP
OP
J

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Frank, the part you noticed as that I am also former military. It is LtG Jon Allyn.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generally I see pieces like that where blasting related to hard rock mining has separated the host rock from the gold vein. The resulting piece of gold has a surface that mirrors the surface of the fissure in the host rock.
Some people mistake that for crystalline gold or leaf gold. The specimens are found nearly every time in the immediate vicinity of an existing hard rock mine.

For those of you that don't think you can find gold on the surface. It happens more than you think.
I have found gold nuggets laying on top of leaves and blades of grass..how did it get there? Who knows. I figure bugs and animals.

Unfolding a specimen into a flat piece without breaking it...I've never seen that before (and I have found thin bent pieces)

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re; Jon, your PM on voting for banner.
I would love to if I could get a better photo of it, from the photo you posted I cant tell if its gold or gold colored foil.
my brother was once showing this big gold flake he had in a vial at first look it looked great after looking at it a little closer
I had to give him the bad news, it was foil like off an almond roca.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Keeping in mind that I'm still fairly new here, I've yet to see a Tnet member that wasn't willing to do any extra steps in order to help show what they had. It's not only for verification purposes, but this also helps the poster in knowing value of their item.

Gold dust is basically worth spot price. Why? Because it's dust; very fine. Nuggets are unique, and bring premium prices if sold. Also, one must figure in the purity of the gold in order to figure gold content, which will provide value of the piece.

And the "type", "quality", and "condition" of the nugget all help to place a value on nuggets. What "type" is this? We can speculate, but the photos are not clear enough. What condition is the nugget in? Unknown...at least to us. The overall quality of the piece? Same.

So Jon, PLEASE understand that I would love to see that piece be heralded as Banner. But I cannot vote for Banner, as I cannot and WILL NOT vote based solely on the judgement of someone else - someone whom I've never met and will likely never meet in my life. I cannot take Frank's word for it. I know that photos cannot be shared through PM's, unless the photos are posted somewhere online. Therefore, it is my understanding that Frank has seen the same exact photos that we have. It "looks" real at this point, but I'd be a fool to base any finding on fuzzy pics.

Again, I WANT this to be real! I WANT this to be an amazing find!! My interest is prospecting/mining, even though I've never had the opportunity to "wet my feet". Pieces like this are not an everyday occurrence.

OP
OP
J

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It tested 22K with nitric acid.

Attachments

• 20160729_135342.jpg
    20160729_135342.jpg
    442 KB · Views: 85
OP
OP
J

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The piece in this photo is less than 1% of the entire size. The nugget is close to 3" × 1" in size.

Got_4by4

Feb 9, 2009
Treasure Valley Id
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, White's IDX/Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you do not enjoy our thread. Please refrain from negativity in the future. We are looking for positive feedback not negative comments. Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you for the positive words of encouragement. Jealousy is evil.

OP
OP
J

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Honestly, most of the conversation on this site is fun. I am questioning what the actual benefit of discussing these topics might be? It seems like this forum venue is not my style. I could be wrong. To me, I like playing sports...but even when you lose... positivity is still the most important aspect of the game. My partner loved the specimen, so we framed it. My goal was not to prove its value to anyone else.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread