Louise XIV bronze cannons found

Mredo

Aug 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for some help authenticating them. They are about three feet long and supposedly just recently pulled from the water off the coast of Central America. The crest is that of Louise the XIX. Does anyone know of any French ships lost in the Western Caribbean South of Belize? IMG-20160826-WA0007_1472342433752.jpg IMG-20160826-WA0006_1472342433566.jpg

Mystery Solved! Unfortunately.... bummer

Back in 2008 a Czechoslovakian imigrant to Honduras decided to build a full scale replica of a Pirate ship to be sailed on the Island of Roatan Honduras. The economy went south and the ship has been somewhat abandoned. The cannons were from his Pirate ship. As many said great yard art. Does anyone know what good quality replicas are worth??

Last edited:
Upvote 15

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know nothing about cannons but the fact that they're "stowed" in the forward of a boat would indicate they were just removed from the sea. In other words, no restoration would have been done.

They seem too clean but again, I don't know anything about cannons or salvage. Possibly that's how bronze cannons come out of the water.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know nothing about cannons but the fact that they're "stowed" in the forward of a boat would indicate they were just removed from the sea. In other words, no restoration would have been done.

They seem too clean but again, I don't know anything about cannons or salvage. Possibly that's how bronze cannons come out of the water.

Bronze is like that... especially in certain areas / situations.
I have seen things throughout my life removed from oceans of various ages and locations made of copper and bronze that almost look like the day the went in.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bronze is like that... especially in certain areas / situations.
I have seen things throughout my life removed from oceans of various ages and locations made of copper and bronze that almost look like the day the went in.

Ok. Thanks for the info.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If these are proved with validated paperwork to be real 17th C French Cannons then I will give up detecting forever.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I know anti fouling paint is made with copper and it is super expensive. I have absolutely no idea if canons made of bronze which is a lot of copper would stay clean but I would guess yes because that is what ocean going propellers are made from.

I sure hope the OP comes back with a LOT more information. To post something like that and then go POOF would be cruel to all that are interested. However as stated in my first post. I believe some MAJOR laws were broken if they were taken from a shipwreck by a recreational diver. However, I also could be mistaken.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If these guns were mine and I wanted them ID-ed, I'd first contact these people:
Main Courtyard, artillery collections - Musée de l'Armée
and use their contact page: Contact - Musée de l'Armée
If you believe the guns are authentic, you'll need to provide precise measurements (in millimeters) to anyone asked to authenticate the guns.
Don......

That is the type of thing that you would do first, not join Tnet & make it your first question. If it doesn't make sense then....

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS. As they would look nice in the garden, I would offer scrap price but the OP pays shipping.

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Crusader

If you put cec1bf1923ad4c079806bf50b6f0e699.jpg into google and press images, you can see three cannon. The cannon at the back clearly has a horizontal casting line running from the basering up to the trunnions and along the chase, showing it must have been cast in two part mould. I think this reinforces my ornamental theory and knocks a 17th century date on the head. You can also get a good view of the trunnions which have shoulders. Now I don't off-hand know of any 17th century cannon with shoulders where the trunnion meets the barrel. It is introduced on some late 18th century guns, but you don't really find it often until the 19th century.
Not to mention the general poor quality mouldings, proportions,, the concerns I mentioned in my first email, and the weird placing of the dates, and the lack of a gunfounder's name...
But, as you say, it will look grand in a garden.

Smithbrown

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an almost identical bronze French cannon, with dolphin "lifters" about 20 minutes from where I site...and it is most definitely authentic.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC already has Big stack of cash ready for the expedition and recovery of all those Gold bars. If only he had an address to send it to.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC already has Big stack of cash ready for the expedition and recovery of all those Gold bars. If only he had an address to send it to.

Ehhh ? big stack of cash ? ? ?
Gold bars ? ? ? ... huh... wha ?

:/

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crusader

If you put cec1bf1923ad4c079806bf50b6f0e699.jpg into google and press images, you can see three cannon. The cannon at the back clearly has a horizontal casting line running from the basering up to the trunnions and along the chase, showing it must have been cast in two part mould. I think this reinforces my ornamental theory and knocks a 17th century date on the head. You can also get a good view of the trunnions which have shoulders. Now I don't off-hand know of any 17th century cannon with shoulders where the trunnion meets the barrel. It is introduced on some late 18th century guns, but you don't really find it often until the 19th century.
Not to mention the general poor quality mouldings, proportions,, the concerns I mentioned in my first email, and the weird placing of the dates, and the lack of a gunfounder's name...
But, as you say, it will look grand in a garden.

Smithbrown
I saw the photo but I am not inclined to join Pinterest. What are the cannons in the picture purported to be? Ornamental or authentic?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not looking for anything myself friend...
Would love to join up on a crew perhaps that had legal right to areas in situ...

As far as "ready for an expedition" I would not have to travel too far...
At least not out of this country... thank God.
For...
I have known of at least 3 potential shipwreck locations for years... never touched em.
Nor has anyone else as far as I know.

Maybe one day the stars will align for a chance to do a LEGAL investigation of them.
But...
Has never... and has continued to not look good though and I have come to accept that.

bah.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the type of thing that you would do first, not join Tnet & make it your first question. If it doesn't make sense then....

To the OP--I think that AARC would like to buy these items, and I'm sure you can sell them to him at a "bargain price." :laughing7:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Send the cannons to me and I will authenticate them. If genuine, I will let you know and if not I will sell them either to someone wanting to put them in their' botanical garden or take them to a Recycler. Just shoot me a PM and we will be good to go!:skullflag:

Frank

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing you would not normally do without good explanation is post an important valuable find, ask if they were real, then disappear for 24 hrs without reply. I would be replying after seconds if I were getting free advise from folks with the knowledge.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing you would not normally do without good explanation is post an important valuable find, ask if they were real, then disappear for 24 hrs without reply. I would be replying after seconds if I were getting free advise from folks with the knowledge.

Perhaps the "legal" end scared them off.
I picture some dudes fishing... looking down on a clear water day and seeing them on the bottom.
Decided to grab some rope and dive down.
Got em on the boat... took some pics.... posted and realized... "oh crap" we may have just broken the law.
heh

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps the "legal" end scared them off.
I picture some dudes fishing... looking down on a clear water day and seeing them on the bottom.
Decided to grab some rope and dive down.
Got em on the boat... took some pics.... posted and realized... "oh crap" we may have just broken the law.
heh
If that's true, its time to burn their IP address & delete this post.

But the OP has no need, not a crime to own a replica or sell it. Look at the language 'supposedly'.....it either was or wasn't.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread