Louise XIV bronze cannons found

Mredo

Aug 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for some help authenticating them. They are about three feet long and supposedly just recently pulled from the water off the coast of Central America. The crest is that of Louise the XIX. Does anyone know of any French ships lost in the Western Caribbean South of Belize? IMG-20160826-WA0007_1472342433752.jpg IMG-20160826-WA0006_1472342433566.jpg

Mystery Solved! Unfortunately.... bummer

Back in 2008 a Czechoslovakian imigrant to Honduras decided to build a full scale replica of a Pirate ship to be sailed on the Island of Roatan Honduras. The economy went south and the ship has been somewhat abandoned. The cannons were from his Pirate ship. As many said great yard art. Does anyone know what good quality replicas are worth??

Last edited:
Upvote 15

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am absolutely not a knowledgeable person on Bronze cannons; although I just finished a book on the use of Cannons in our earlier New Zealand History, during the 1830's to 1870's. Tribal Guns and Tribal Gunners, Author, Trevor Bentley.
But as a person with an artist's eye, I have to ask; the cannon shown don't seem to show evidence of removal of (how long?) marine growth, yet they seem to have a patina including the aged verdigrises' of a copper based metal. Yet you say they were recently retrieved from undersea?
Again I don't know about Bronze barrels, so I query why is there circular copper corrosion marks around the barrels?
I am in no way suggesting they are fakes. I'm just questioning what I see, compared to the given information.
And I'm keen to find a cannon myself.

Last edited:

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
No idea BUT I WANT ONE! Who do I send my address to?

If they were really just pulled from a wreck, I am POSITIVE some HUGE laws were broken if done by recreational divers. Something smells very fishy here actually. Do you have any more information on them?

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cec1bf1923ad4c079806bf50b6f0e699.jpg

Any trunnion marks ?
Like ...

54229x7.jpg 54229x8.jpg

Last edited:

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
I don't like to give a final identification based only on photographs since they can be very misleading, but the things that cause me concern about this pair are the shape of the muzzle, the long thin trunnions, and the raised band round the touch-hole. The fishy dolphins look very like the ones you find on Asian lantakas and their ilk. I would go for fantasy garden ornaments.
Smithbrown

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, don't look real to me.

I don't like to give a final identification based only on photographs since they can be very misleading, but the things that cause me concern about this pair are the shape of the muzzle, the long thin trunnions, and the raised band round the touch-hole. The fishy dolphins look very like the ones you find on Asian lantakas and their ilk. I would go for fantasy garden ornaments.
Smithbrown

? ? ?

Replicas ? Garden ornaments ? ? ? lol ? ? ?

These are OBVIOUSLY sitting in the forward of a boat... VIA pictures.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
" hey man I am really sick of those canon garden ornaments"

"yeah they are replicas anyway"

"yeah man lets lug them onto the boat and drive out and dump them in the ocean where the other cannons seem to be"

"yeah... that's where thy bury canons... at sea".

"yeah dude... smoke another bowl and load them up on the boat... I will watch"

:P

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arrrg... the spell check on the word "cannon" is uhhhh ehhh :/

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
We are entitled to our opinions. I have given reasons on aspects which, as I have said, cause me concern. You are entitled to your opinion. We can draw our own conclusions.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are entitled to our opinions. I have given reasons on aspects which, as I have said, cause me concern. You are entitled to your opinion. We can draw our own conclusions.

Agreed.

The first thing I noticed is the fact that these are sitting in a vessel forward.
This WAS and IS the first clue that at least they have been "stowed" so to speak.
Normally...
If these were pics from someones back yard or living room I would hae been more skeptical.
Then again...
Maybe this is all part of the "con" . ? ? ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread