Dandy? Unidentified Item, button...1683 Property--Massachusetts - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Dandy? Unidentified Item, button...1683 Property--Massachusetts

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Quote Originally Posted by btjbtj View Post
    Abe-yes! Could be a fancy piece of a buckle. Thanks for taking the time to share these photos. Very helpful! L&J
    QUOTE=Ahab8;5117572]Attachment 1357580
    Attachment 1357581
    Here's a couple of examples. One without the guts that shows the shape. The other fully intact. I could be wrong but the shape and hole for the attachment look right
    [/QUOTE]

They are right, its part of an 18th C shoe buckle. A pretty small one.(for these types)
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT,YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'Time isn't money it's finds, unless your finds are money' 08/12/17
    'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' 25/06/08
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    I open my prezzies out of lumps of mud. 02/10/19
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.
    ONE LIFE - DETECT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy View Post
    While I love to disagree with Mr. French fries and gravy, but that's what I would have done. And by quiet I mean no iron... no nothing. I have a 5 acre spot I did that to but unfortunately National Historic landmarks are not keen on bulldozers. Lol

And don't mind me today. I'm home , stuck inside with two kids with strep. *grumpy*

That works fine if there was never any type of structure there, but a massive waste of time at any typical Colonial site. Digging the place down would also be time consuming, but still more efficient and effective. As I said the cellar holes and trash pits you dig out completely, and the rest of the area take off a few inches at a time if you can. And also again if it was my place I would rip it apart and put it back together... I'd have to get it all!
    Last edited by Iron Patch; Sep 11, 2016 at 07:29 AM.
    btjbtj likes this.

us
    Aug 2016
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
    1409 times
    Metal Detecting
    Excellent work, guys! Thanks so much. Now I need to figure out how to do the Solved" thingy over on the What Is It forum! 😄 Spoke to John late last night. Apparently he found six more flat buttons. Will post later. -Lisa
    doQUOTE=CRUSADER;5118033][/QUOTE]

They are right, its part of an 18th C shoe buckle. A pretty small one.(for these types)[/QUOTE]

us
    Aug 2016
    Massachusetts
    1409 times
    Metal Detecting
    Ok...no laughing... But can you explain to me what a trash pit and a seller who are? Common sense tells me it is a place where trash was put because there weren't landfills back then. And I guess a seller whole is a place where a foundation is or something? On the property there is an underground type of structure. It seems to be some sort of root cellar or hideout or who knows what. I'll have to ask John if he has detected inside there. His paved driveway isn't in good condition, so he will eventually have to replace it. I have a feeling that underneath that driveway is a Goldmine. All in good time. It is rumored that a couple of soldiers are buried on the property. If this is true, I hope they buried bodies 6 feet under back then! -Lisa
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Patch View Post
    That works fine if there was never any type of structure there, but a massive waste of time at any typical Colonial site. Digging the place down would also be time consuming, but still more efficient and effective. As I said the celler holes and trash pits you dig out completely, and the rest of the area take off a few inches at a time if you can. And also again if it was my place I would rip it apart and put it back together... I'd have to get it all!

Quote Originally Posted by btjbtj View Post
    Ok...no laughing... But can you explain to me what a trash pit and a seller who are? Common sense tells me it is a place where trash was put because there weren't landfills back then. And I guess a seller whole is a place where a foundation is or something? On the property there is an underground type of structure. It seems to be some sort of root cellar or hideout or who knows what. I'll have to ask John if he has detected inside there. His paved driveway isn't in good condition, so he will eventually have to replace it. I have a feeling that underneath that driveway is a Goldmine. All in good time. It is rumored that a couple of soldiers are buried on the property. If this is true, I hope they buried bodies 6 feet under back then! -Lisa

Yes, they buried the trash in a pit, and it does not give up a lot of great finds usually, but can surprise you. You also have the cellar hole right, just here most were filled in by surrounding dirt so are worth digging out. Most iron and finds tend to be close to the hole because that's where the house was.
    btjbtj likes this.

us
    Aug 2016
    Massachusetts
    1409 times
    Metal Detecting
    Understood, Iron. Thanks! -L&J

QUOTE=Iron Patch;5118099]Yes, they buried the trash in a pit, and it does not give up a lot of great finds usually, but can surprise you. You also have the cellar hole right, just here most were filled in by surrounding dirt so are worth digging out. Most iron and finds tend to be close to the hole because that's where the house was.[/QUOTE]

us
    art

Dec 2015
    Maryland's eastern shore
    whites MXTPro whites MXSport
    13033 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Congrats on your finds
    btjbtj likes this.
    Growing old is not for sissies I thought it would take longer to get old.

us
    Aug 2016
    Massachusetts
    1409 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thanx, Trapper! -L&J
    Quote Originally Posted by trapperart View Post
    Congrats on your finds

us
    Feb 2014
    Lowcountry, South Carolina / Memphis, TN
    CTX-3030, Deus XP HF Round/Elliptical, White's TRX Pinpointer
    5226 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (4)
    Keep up the great work you guys, as others have mentioned fragment is part of a shoe buckle. Regarding the soil scraping, you have the luxury of an indefinite permission. Clearing is necessary, but try and methodically grid the area from both directions. Crusader is an expect on this so look to him for advice. Also try an hit the dirt after a long rain, wet soil does wonders to amplify the hallow effect of deep targets.
    btjbtj and Stef45 like this.
    2020 Best Coins

-1719 Diamond Sweden 1 Daler

2020 Best Relics

-Royal Provincials Button
    -60th Regiment of Foot Button
    -60th Regiment of Foot Button
    -45th Regiment of Foot Button
    -British PN buttons
    -1787 US Army button
    -Infantry Script I Coat
    -Infantry Script I Cuffs
    -1812 US Coat Buttons
    -Colonial gold fragment
    -Federal GS Eagle buttons

www.patriotrelics.com

us
    Aug 2016
    Massachusetts
    1409 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thanks, VMI. Definitely good to know about detecting after a rain! ~L&J
    Quote Originally Posted by VMI Digger View Post
    Keep up the great work you guys, as others have mentioned fragment is part of a shoe buckle. Regarding the soil scraping, you have the luxury of an indefinite permission. Clearing is necessary, but try and methodically grid the area from both directions. Crusader is an expect on this so look to him for advice. Also try an hit the dirt after a long rain, wet soil does wonders to amplify the hallow effect of deep targets.
    VMI Digger likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links