zilx

Greenie
May 12, 2016
Panama City Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only been metal detecting a total of 6 times now, last weekend I found my first ring and it was 10KK Gold with a fake ruby center stone. Went back out this morning and wouldn't you know I found my second ring ! This one is kind of odd, but its stamped 925 silver and 18K. I believe its a 925 Silver ring with 18K Gold Flowers on the sides. The center Stones are real ! One is Amethyst, and the other is a Citrine. I believe my local Jeweler may have valued it a little low, but he said around $150-$200. What do you guys think. Below are some pictures. This makes 2 rings for me within a 1 week period ! Wooohoo ! :hello:

14233030_10155194900539829_2242215088938382846_n.jpg 20160910_115247.jpg 20160910_115423.jpg

Upvote 24

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds about right on the value given its mostly silver. Dud he offer you that much? Congrats on ring #2. Many more to come.

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First off, it's a beautiful ring regardless of value and congratulations on your find. That being said, sounds like your jeweler is in the right ballpark, because amethyst and citrine are semi-precious stones (rather than precious, like emerald, sapphire, etc.). Thanks for sharing this pretty ring. -Lisa

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice ring, however finding a buyer for that kind of money will probably be very hard.

Appraised value and real value are way off the chart different.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find, not bragging but I have found 100's over the years and let me tell you, the thrill never goes away, every ring found for me is like the 1st.
Even junkers and stainless I get a little kick from, but nothing like finding precious metal.

Very nice ring but I think value wise, you'd have a real tough time getting even close to the low estimate, as Scuba says. Unless there is alot of weight involved [and one time I found a silver necklace that was 85 g's], it is rare to breech the $100 mark with any silver. Most resellers would offer you melt value, and you'd be insulted and walk away [I'm talking like $5 here]. The 18k flowers may add slightly to its value, not a whole lot.

You'd need to find someone who fancies the ring for its look and is willing to pay top $$ for its intrinsic value, and that can be tough to do. Ebay is an option of course to get many eyeballs on it, and maybe someone will really like it, just start the opening bid at something you can live with. I'd be shocked if you started at $100 and got a single bid. I personally keep most of my finds but sell occasionally, can be very disappointing getting offers on used jewelry.
I just sold a 14k white gold ring, 6 g's ,,, One guy offered me $130, slightly below melt value even. Another offered $160 and I took it, he will probably turn around and sell it for $250-$350. Reason he can and I can't is I don't have the clientele that a jewelry shop does.

Precious metals really is just one big racket, and guys like us are on the low end on the spectrum.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a very pretty ring.
I would be very lucky to get $30 to $35 .
I have a NYC General Vendor license.
I don't usually sell anything that I find but I do have some scrap gold that I am going to sell.
Congrats on your 2nd ring.

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gram for gram that ring has more shiny than a handful of rotten clad and zincolns.

As for value, I think it's important to market things to the appropriate audience. You will want to Fleabay that one in the 'toe ring for a huge man' category.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome and I bet your hooked now this hobby is so fun from the ring finds to the first silver dollar dime quarter ect ect ect I keep all my rings in display cases and silver coins also. Keep up the great finds and Thanks for sharing we would not have a fun site to be on if no one posted!!!!!!

OP
OP
Z

zilx

Greenie
May 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone :) I do not intend on selling any of my finds, however having an idea of their value is always nice :)

Happy Hunting everyone ! teehee

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No doubt, we all have the need to know ballpark value of finds, and all dream of that super find - And they are out there.

I found a similar ring last night at a tot lot, I thought "Nice, bur surely junk" and stuffed it in my pocket. Cleaned it off back at home and scrutinized it with mag glass and was surprised to see .925 stamped inside the band, so into the keepers box it goes. Don't know about the stones, I wouldn't expect actual rubies & diamonds in a silver ring, and would bet 20 to 1 that they are not. I was fooled, doesn't happen too often ... You handle enough and you get a good sense just by feel and look if its legit or not.
I have a huge box of "junk" jewelry finds, jewelry that is not precious metal. I went back over it some months ago and found 1 gold and 3 silvers that I had previously condemned as being junk, so you gotta be on your toes.

I have learned over time to keep my expectations low, that way when they are exceeded it is that much better.

Attachments

• IMG_1657.JPG
    IMG_1657.JPG
    434.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a very beautiful ring, keep up the good work! :occasion14:

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the very pretty ring. I too prefer to keep such finds.

paul11

Jul 4, 2016
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 11
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What a great find I'm still waiting for my first.

OP
OP
Z

zilx

Greenie
May 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank for all the kind words everyone :) Let's just say I'm fired up now and all I can think about at work everyday is what I might find next lmao

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the ring! That's a real beauty, regardless of value.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Very, Very Nice Ring IMO.

I found a Fake ring yesterday, ( I dug/Found about 3 Ounces of Fake / Costume pieces in the last 3 weeks).
I have found a few Silver Rings Since September 11 ,2011 but that day was my last 'Real GOLD Find'. FWIW
More to come in your future.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread