Boy Scout of America Vintage Neckerchief Slide
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Boy Scout of America Vintage Neckerchief Slide

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Scott, founder of East Coast Relic Hunters

Oct 2016
    Virginia Colony
    DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5 TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
    590 times
    Relic Hunting

Ring Boy Scout of America Vintage Neckerchief Slide

Check out this vintage (have read anywhere from 50's to 70's) Boy Scout of American Neckerchief Slide I dug.

Moderator: did not dig this today, but a few days ago. was not sure where to post. feel free to move it to the 'right' place if you like.

Anyone with info, please post. It is rather dirty, but I like to leave my finds pretty much as found.

I washed the dirt/mud out. When I dug it, thought it was a smashed ring of some sort.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bsa-mine.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	1367071
    Scott
    Rogue Relic Hunter
    Virginia Colony

East Coast Relic Hunters - "We don't just read history, we save it!"

us
    Feb 2016
    central Texas
    ATPro, Garrett carrot, Nox 800
    455 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I believe you found a Webelos neck slide....they were the intermediate program between Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts. Actually, since there were fewer Webelos troops formed, they are somewhat more scarce than BSA or Cub Scout slides. Don't know about the age, but I remember seeing those in the 1970s, when, uhhh....well, let's just say I saw those after I got OUT of Scouting. Being old sometimes helps..

us

Oct 2016
    Virginia Colony
    DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5 TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
    590 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by peruna View Post
    I believe you found a Webelos neck slide....they were the intermediate program between Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts. Actually, since there were fewer Webelos troops formed, they are somewhat more scarce than BSA or Cub Scout slides. Don't know about the age, but I remember seeing those in the 1970s, when, uhhh....well, let's just say I saw those after I got OUT of Scouting. Being old sometimes helps..
    thanks for the post. everything i see with weblos logo is the corn thing. i see this logo with the boy scouts. again, i am no expert, why I am asking. maybe others can weigh in on this also. i am open to anything. better if it is more rare like you say.
    Scott
    Rogue Relic Hunter
    Virginia Colony

Charter Member
    us
    An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    12638 times
    Shipwrecks
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Cub Scout Neckerchief Slide.Webelos Neckerchief Slide
    Don.......

us

Oct 2016
    Virginia Colony
    590 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackaydon View Post

Cub Scout Neckerchief Slide.Webelos Neckerchief Slide
    Don.......
    thanks. what i thought. boy scout is/was the lion looking animal and the webelos, the corn. thanks for posting.
    Scott
    Rogue Relic Hunter
    Virginia Colony

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2016
    Port Huron MI
    2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable) Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
    8246 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    It for sure is a CUB SCOUT WOLF slide. There are ways to tell if it is older or newer. Does it have screws or rivets holding the back on or is it bent over tabs?

There was a Wolf slide, a Tiger, and a Bear slide.
    Last edited by ScubaDetector; Oct 06, 2016 at 10:09 AM.
    AU Seeker and treblehunter like this.
    Please leave a ring after the beep. Thank You.

****Always be yourself. The people that matter don't mind, and the people that mind just don't matter. ****

us

Oct 2016
    Virginia Colony
    590 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDetector View Post
    It for sure is a CUB SCOUT WOLF slide. There are ways to tell if it is older or newer. Does it have screws or rivets holding the back on or is it bent over tabs?
    it has bent over tabs, so old I assume. how are you sure cub vs. boy scout. everything i search is corn for cub scouts and the lion for boy scouts, or whatever it is. lol
    Scott
    Rogue Relic Hunter
    Virginia Colony

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2016
    Port Huron MI
    2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable) Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
    8246 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Relic Hunter View Post
    it has bent over tabs, so old I assume. how are you sure cub vs. boy scout. everything i search is corn for cub scouts and the lion for boy scouts, or whatever it is. lol
    Bent over tabs are newer. I am POSITIVE it is the Cub Scout slide. I have found well over 50 slides.

The Boy Scout slide has an eagle in the middle.

For Cub Scouts you have a Wolf, Tiger and Bear slide.
    Last edited by ScubaDetector; Oct 06, 2016 at 10:10 AM.

****Always be yourself. The people that matter don't mind, and the people that mind just don't matter. ****

us

Oct 2016
    Virginia Colony
    590 times
    Relic Hunting
    Bent over tabs are newer. I am POSITIVE it is the Cub Scout slide. I have found well over 50 slides.

The Boy Scout slide has an eagle in the middle.
    wow, newer? how new? how are you positive? i believe you found that many, but that does not necessarily validate that this is cub scout. i cant seem to come to that conclusion when i search online. not being picky, just wondering.
    Scott
    Rogue Relic Hunter
    Virginia Colony

us
    ebay "ulster-relic"

Dec 2012
    port ewen ny
    AT-PRO
    7094 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    sold 5 on EBAY for $3-$5 each--make it pretty but keep the patina

us

Oct 2016
    Virginia Colony
    590 times
    Relic Hunting

Red face

i am old also. not that old though. lol. old enough to know better, but still young enough to chance it anyway. thanks for the information. i am more concerned about the approx age, as i am in any find. read 50's, also read 70's.
    Scott
    Rogue Relic Hunter
    Virginia Colony

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2016
    Port Huron MI
    8246 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    I understand that you are questioning and it is fine. A Boy Scout would NOT want to be caught with a Cub Scout slide. When they advanced the Cub Scout stuff was history. I think that would be like being in high school carrying an elementary school math book. The Wolf slide had no place on a Boy Scout uniform.

Search results for: 'wolf slide'

Here is an official page with the Wolf, Bear and Tiger CUB SCOUT badges. It also has the Boy Scout Badge with the eagle in the center.

I do know the older ones were quality. HOWEVER, I don't have a date when they went from rivets or screws holding the back loop on to just bent over tabs. However, you can still buy them with bent over tabs and the older ones are not made anymore.

I do know that at the old camps I have been searching and pulling silver coins out of, none of the slides I have found have bent tabs. I am guessing your slide is newer than the 1960's. HOWEVER, that is an educated guess and not gospel.
    Last edited by ScubaDetector; Oct 06, 2016 at 10:58 AM.

us

Oct 2016
    Virginia Colony
    590 times
    Relic Hunting
    I understand that you are questioning and it is fine.

Search results for: 'wolf slide'

Here is an official page with the Wolf, Bear and Tiger CUB SCOUT badges. It also has the Boy Scout Badge with the eagle in the center.

I do know the older ones were quality. HOWEVER, I don't have a date when they went from rivets or screws holding the back loop on to just bent over tabs. However, you can still buy them with bent over tabs and the older ones are not made anymore.
    thanks, this is great information. why we are on this web site/program. i really appreciate the info. you have helped a bunch! i thought it was a smashed ring when i dug it. someday it is going to be a silver coin!!!!!!
    Scott
    Rogue Relic Hunter
    Virginia Colony

us
    Feb 2016
    central Texas
    ATPro, Garrett carrot, Nox 800
    455 times
    I defer to other, younger and more intelligent Scout scholars...I retract my identification, and happily concur with the above opinions re. Cub Scout...
    Getting old sucks sox...
    T.C. likes this.

us

Oct 2016
    Virginia Colony
    590 times
    Relic Hunting
    I defer to other, younger and more intelligent Scout scholars...I retract my identification, and happily concur with the above opinions re. Cub Scout...
    Getting old sucks sox...
    hold off, you never know. this is one of the great aspects of the hobby, figuring out what we have dug, once we have dug it! keeps us busy when not digging!
    Scott
    Rogue Relic Hunter
    Virginia Colony

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links