Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Check out this vintage (have read anywhere from 50's to 70's) Boy Scout of American Neckerchief Slide I dug.

Moderator: did not dig this today, but a few days ago. was not sure where to post. feel free to move it to the 'right' place if you like.

Anyone with info, please post. It is rather dirty, but I like to leave my finds pretty much as found.

I washed the dirt/mud out. When I dug it, thought it was a smashed ring of some sort.

bsa-mine.jpg

Upvote 9
Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, newer? how new? how are you positive? i believe you found that many, but that does not necessarily validate that this is cub scout. i cant seem to come to that conclusion when i search online. not being picky, just wondering.

This is not a great mystery like Oak Island or squiggly lines on rocks pointing to Bigfoot's lost gold.

Cub Scout, Webelo, and Boy Scout symbols are part of American culture, or at least they used to be.

ScubaDetector is right about the ID. He was probably in the Scouts at some point, or lived in America when it was common for Scouts to wear their uniforms to school.

OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
always keep the patina! agreed!

OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
no one is saying it is a great mystery. just trying to fig out which scout group the slide represents. only one way to do that, DIALOGUE and question and answer. also, validating assertions. do you really know where bigfoot's lost gold is? wait, i did not know bigfoot had any gold. learn something new every day... :laughing7:

OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had to go look! Here are the backs of the ones I pictured originally. One of the Boy Scout slides has the antique back, the others - including the Cub scout, has the fold overs.

great pics. i did learn something from this thread i started. what this is all about. love this site. lots of smart people out there and we all help one another. awesome aspect of the hobby.

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
As a former Cub Scout, Webelo and Boy Scout, there's no doubt that this a Cub Scout slide. I somehow managed to retain the slides for all three groups, which I just checked out. These slides date from the late 60's to the early 70's. The Cub Scout and Webelo slides from that era have the foldover backs as depicted above. Interestingly enough, my Boy Scout slide, which would be a few years newer than the other two, has a solid metal half-circle backing, attached by pins on either side, similar to the bottom left slide Terry depicts in his group shot (the pins are present, but the back piece is missing in his pic).

Regards,

TCK

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As a former Cub Scout, Webelo and Boy Scout, there's no doubt that this a a Cub Scout slide. I somehow managed to retain the slides for all three groups, which I just checked out. These slides date from the late 60's to the early 70's. The Cub Scout and Webelo slides from that era have the foldover backs as depicted above. Interestingly enough, my Boy Scout slide, which would be a few years newer than the other two, has a solid metal half-circle backing, attached by pins on either side, similar to the bottom left slide Terry depicts in his group slot (the pins are present, but the back piece is missing in his pic).

Regards,

TCK

great information, thanks very much. i really learned today. glad that i posted this. now i want to dig more...

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scuba is correct, I was a Cub Scout Leader for 5 years, in The Advancement Trail there are 5 ranks in the Cub Scouts. they become a Webelo the last year before entering the Boy Scouts, they do get to interact with the Boy Scouts during their 5th/Webelo year, but aren't officially a Boy Scout until they complete their 5th/Webelo year and enter the Boy Scouts in their 6th year, the ranks are in this order Bobcat, Tiger, Wolf, Bear, and Webelo, so the slide you found is for a third year Wolf ranked Cub Scout.

The Advancement Trail

I don't know when they started the bending tabs, but I have heard others say that they had the same bending tabs in the mid 1950s, I know for sure they had them in the 1960s

OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Scuba is correct, I was a Cub Scout Leader for 5 years, in The Advancement Trail there are 5 ranks in the Cub Scouts. they become a Webelo the last year before entering the Boy Scouts, they do get to interact with the Boy Scouts during their 5th/Webelo year, but aren't officially a Boy Scout until they complete their 5th/Webelo year and enter the Boy Scouts in their 6th year, the ranks are in this order Bobcat, Tiger, Wolf, Bear, and Webelo, so the slide you found is for a third year Wolf ranked Cub Scout.

The Advancement Trail

I don't know when they started the bending tabs, but I have heard others say that they had the same bending tabs in the mid 1950s, I know for sure they had them in the 1960s

I was just about to have this marked SOLVED, but more interesting information keeps pouring in. i will wait. your post added to Scuba and others. very interesting. I had no idea when I dug this or posted it, how interesting it would become. quite a learning experience. now i want to dig more. get me some old boy scout maps and plot their camps like i do civil war camps... :laughing7:

OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
anyone know the informal norms (or rules if there are any) on marking a post SOLVED? this one sure is, but more info keeps rolling in. i guess no harm in leaving it open for awhile. i think i just posted it today, or was it yesterday? cant remember. now i hope my frog king figure does as well.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just go back to where you found that one. If it was at a school chances are they had some event there. Do you remember where you dug it exactly?

OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yes, i know the exact area. but, i dig there a lot when walking my dog and i dont have time to go on a real hunt. its near a school. kids lose everything. eyeballed a nice jacket the other day, too bad it was not many sizes larger. :BangHead:

OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just go back to where you found that one. If it was at a school chances are they had some event there. Do you remember where you dug it exactly?

i dont remember what it rang up as on the AT Pro though. easy way to find out though.... too bad it's raining

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anyone know the informal norms (or rules if there are any) on marking a post SOLVED? this one sure is, but more info keeps rolling in. i guess no harm in leaving it open for awhile. i think i just posted it today, or was it yesterday? cant remember. now i hope my frog king figure does as well.

There isn't an option for marking a topic/item "Solved" in the "Today's Finds" forum section, that's only an option/requirement in the "What Is It" forum section, FYI here's a link to how to mark a topic in the "What Is It" forum "Solved", the link can also be found at the top of the "What Is It" forum section.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/369859-how-mark-your-what-solved-photo-tutorial.html

Also in reference to your other post, most Boy Scouts Camp are still owned by the Boy Scouts Of America and still active that I'm aware of, there very well could be some old camps that got closed for whatever reason, new highway easements, etc., etc., but I'm not aware of any.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There isn't an option for marking a topic/item "Solved" in the "Today's Finds" forum section, that's only an option/requirement in the "What Is It" forum section, FYI here's a link to how to mark a topic in the "What Is It" forum "Solved", the link can also be found at the top of the "What Is It" forum section.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/369859-how-mark-your-what-solved-photo-tutorial.html

Also in reference to your other post, most Boy Scouts Camp are still owned by the Boy Scouts Of America and still active that I'm aware of, there very well could be some old camps that got closed for whatever reason, new highway easements, etc., etc., but I'm not aware of any.

thanks for the info. i will read up on that. we did ham radio at some boy scout camps, but that was in texas. they were really strict about what we could or could not put in the ground. prob not allowed to dig plugs there.

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found some info on Boy Scouts Camps state by state, there are more that have been closed or sold then I would have thought, but from the great number of camps listed more are still active than those that aren't in most state where the info is stated.

Unfortunately much of the info for some states is incomplete, such is the case for Virginia, many camps listed but only status on one, you will have to research all the others on your own.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_council_camps_of_the_Boy_Scouts_of_America

OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found some info on Boy Scouts Camps state by state, there are more that have been closed or sold then I would have thought, but from the great number of camps listed more are still active than those that aren't in most state where the info is stated.

Unfortunately much of the info for some states is incomplete, such is the case for Virginia, many camps listed but only status on one, you will have to research all the others on your own.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_council_camps_of_the_Boy_Scouts_of_America
appreciate the information. never thought i would want to dig their camps until today. hope you are ok from matthew. watching it on weather channel now.

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks on the thoughts of my safety, I live on the coast 15 miles north of Savannah Ga., still tracking the storm and will decide by tomorrow noon to leave or not, I'm all ready if I need to bug out, but don't want to leave unless it's really really bad, I have lived here since 1974 and have seen and weathered all the tropical storms and all but 2 hurricanes so I know what to expect and when to hit the road, if it's really bad by the time a hurricane get to me I usually leave around 4 hours before the hurricane makes landfall or going by hugging the coastline, I leave as late as possible to avoid all the traffic jambs, if I leave I want to drive and go to a safe place not sit in bumper to bumper traffic burning gas.

OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thought you were in south carolina. georgia is worse! that thing is massive. best of luck with it. we are fine here in coastal virginia. at least the track they have laid for it now.

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thought you were in south carolina. georgia is worse! that thing is massive. best of luck with it. we are fine here in coastal virginia. at least the track they have laid for it now.

I do live in South Carolina, Savannah in on the south bank of the Savannah River and South Carolina in on the north bank thus the river is the state border. I live in Bluffton South Carolina which is last town you go through just before the bridge to Hilton Head South Carolina, I'm around 15 miles as the crow flies or hurricane goes north of Savannah and about 20 miles inland from the coast.

OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I do live in South Carolina, Savannah in on the south bank of the Savannah River and South Carolina in on the north bank thus the river is the state border. I live in Bluffton South Carolina which is last town you go through just before the bridge to Hilton Head South Carolina, I'm around 15 miles as the crow flies or hurricane goes north of Savannah and about 20 miles inland from the coast.
Ok, I know where you are talking about. weather channel scaring the hell out of everyone. hope it stays ok where you are!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread