Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple weeks ago I posted this rotary seal commenting that I would return to the 1756 home site where I found it and try to find the stone seal.

Second matrix.jpg

That was actually the second one I had found. The first one I found back in June 2016, same site, did not have the bezel ring.
Original.jpg

Well I returned to the site today to burn off a few Thanksgiving calories, I was amazed to find the actual seal and bezel ring to the first one!
In situ.jpg

I got home, and after some careful cleaning, was able to remount the bezel ring and seal into the original one I found in June.
Both together.jpg

It is a double sided seal with a lion on one side and a bust on the other. With some indirect light, I was able to get these photos.

Lion side.jpg Bust side.jpg

Thank goodness the stone was still inside the metal bezel ring, or I never would have found it. I've been metal detecting for years, but this has got to be one of my best finds. Thanks for having a look!

Last edited:
Upvote 96

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So That's what they are!!!! I found the mounting piece almost identical to yours on the Delaware seashore after Sandy. No stone though.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story and awesome find! That is definitely a rare seal matrix, I have found around 25 but none like that. Congrats and HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread