Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple weeks ago I posted this rotary seal commenting that I would return to the 1756 home site where I found it and try to find the stone seal.

Second matrix.jpg

That was actually the second one I had found. The first one I found back in June 2016, same site, did not have the bezel ring.
Original.jpg

Well I returned to the site today to burn off a few Thanksgiving calories, I was amazed to find the actual seal and bezel ring to the first one!
In situ.jpg

I got home, and after some careful cleaning, was able to remount the bezel ring and seal into the original one I found in June.
Both together.jpg

It is a double sided seal with a lion on one side and a bust on the other. With some indirect light, I was able to get these photos.

Lion side.jpg Bust side.jpg

Thank goodness the stone was still inside the metal bezel ring, or I never would have found it. I've been metal detecting for years, but this has got to be one of my best finds. Thanks for having a look!

Last edited:
Upvote 96

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the banner. That is an awesome find, centerpiece for your collection.

Very well played sir!

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the banner. That is an awesome find, centerpiece for your collection.

Very well played sir!

Thanks, Tom. It's definitely going front and center!

jimbonito58

May 6, 2016
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/stock coil , 8x5 & nels storm ,garret carrot
Makro racer 2 w/stock coil ,5" round & 9x5.5 Makro PinP
Mindlab CTX 3030 11'coil / 10x5 coiltek, Minelab 17" smart coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice Congratulations !!

ghp95134

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lion in this pose is called a "Lion Rampant". When the matrix is applied to the hot wax, the wax image will show the lion facing dexter -- to the shield bearer's right (see image below).

The Reverend James Wallace (from Errol, Perthshire, ca 1667-Elizabeth City Co, Va, 1712) used a red shield with a silver lion rampant. In heraldic terms, this would be blazoned as "Gules a lion rampant Argent." Gules = red; so the shield is red and upon this is a silver (argent) lion rampant.

I do not know if your find is in the Elizabeth City area or not, and I do not know if this could be the Reverend's seal; however, it is interesting to speculate. Not all seals showed the shield; some used only the crest: that heraldic device that sits on top of the helmet.

Wallace2.gif

14193982_124080138827.jpg

The Reverend's tombstone, St. John’s Churchyard, Hampton, Va
Source, American Heraldry Society

I understand the reluctance to pinpoint finds ... but could you tell us if it was in the Hampton/Elizabeth City County area?

Interesting.

Thanks,
--Guy Power

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lion in this pose is called a "Lion Rampant". When the matrix is applied to the hot wax, the wax image will show the lion facing dexter -- to the shield bearer's right (see image below).

The Reverend James Wallace (from Errol, Perthshire, ca 1667-Elizabeth City Co, Va, 1712) used a red shield with a silver lion rampant. In heraldic terms, this would be blazoned as "Gules a lion rampant Argent." Gules = red; so the shield is red and upon this is a silver (argent) lion rampant.

I do not know if your find is in the Elizabeth City area or not, and I do not know if this could be the Reverend's seal; however, it is interesting to speculate. Not all seals showed the shield; some used only the crest: that heraldic device that sits on top of the helmet.

Wallace2.gif

14193982_124080138827.jpg

The Reverend's tombstone, St. John’s Churchyard, Hampton, Va
Source, American Heraldry Society

I understand the reluctance to pinpoint finds ... but could you tell us if it was in the Hampton/Elizabeth City County area?

Interesting.

Thanks,
--Guy Power

No problem, Guy. This was found just west of Richmond, VA. I think the Lion Rampant was a very common symbol in heraldry. You may also want to consider the bust on the opposite side - I'm not sure that would fit in with the Reverand's history, but you've obviously done some nice research on this - very interesting!

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice, Matt! It looks spot on to me. If you blow up the photo of the bust side of the seal, I was already thinking I could see a epaulet on the shoulder. I really need to imprint some wax examples to get some more detail, but I'm travelling right now. Hopefully in the next day or two. Thanks for the post!

Last edited:

ghp95134

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem, Guy. This was found just west of Richmond, VA. I think the Lion Rampant was a very common symbol in heraldry. You may also want to consider the bust on the opposite side - I'm not sure that would fit in with the Reverand's history, but you've obviously done some nice research on this - very interesting!

Thanks TommyG, I'll pass that vicinity to my acquaintance who is interested in early American heraldry. I was told by him that the blazon I quoted was incorrect in that the Reverend's coat of arms has a bordure compony, (a single row of squares in alternating tinctures); see below.

Regards,
--Guy

Attachments

• Wallace-3rdPsh-Hampton.jpg
    Wallace-3rdPsh-Hampton.jpg
    613.8 KB · Views: 60

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OMG!!! I posted the wrong image!!! That is Benedict Arnold!!! Not KGIII!!

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ha! I still think there is an epaulet on that seal bust. Who knows, I may have found Benedict Arnold's seal! :laughing9:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's amazing that you found that piece Tommy. Congrats on the well deserved Banner. :occasion14:

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's amazing that you found that piece Tommy. Congrats on the well deserved Banner. :occasion14:

Thanks, Loco. You know what they say - Even the blind hog finds an acorn every now and then!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Loco. You know what they say - Even the blind hog finds an acorn every now and then!

yes and a clock that does not work tells the correct time twice a day. :icon_thumleft:

rreahard

Mar 29, 2016
Hammond, LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an awesome find! Congrats!!

ghp95134

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...This was found just west of Richmond, VA....
Word back from the heraldist: "Certainly not Rev. James Wallace, then. I can’t think of anyone in that area that would be using just a lion rampant...."

Regardless ... it is a nice find!!

--Guy

ghp95134

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I was wondering about the distinct differences in the two profiles: one long & strong; the other short & round. The later two images you posted look spot on.

--Guy

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an incredible find! Congratulations!

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions