GUDLUKK TOKEN LEADS TO G.A.R MEDAL CACHE

Stu Pedasso

Jun 27, 2007
Hello,

The family decided to sleep in this morning. I took that opportunity to head to the river. I had been down there last year and the water was high. It has been dry and I knew more of the bank was exposed. Besides, it was too early to find permission at houses and I didn't feel like heading to the picked over parks.
I got down there and found the typical million alcohol container tops strewn amongst the beer cans, empty foam bait containers, and left over clothing articles. I started to cop an attitude.
The trail got a little thinner and the tangle of fallen over trees was getting harder to climb over. I wasn't getting any screw caps, but I was getting a lot of metal junk. I could see up ahead the path flattened out and got gravelier on a lazy outside corner of the river. I kept hoping that this may have afforded the perfect swimming hole back in the day. Even though today's water was a nice, smelly shade of military green.
By now I really had a bad attitude. No booty, the bugs were biting, no breeze, and the sun was reflecting off the water and scorching me. I made it to the worse batch of fallen over trees and gave up. I spun around to make a hasty retreat back to the truck when I got a 50 cent signal on the display. Typically these signals are junk. I about pooped when the first overturned gravel had a disk sitting on top of it. I wiped it abit and could plainly see a swastika on the side of the Rexall Drugstore token. I instantly decided to work my way from the impass back. The first two swings produced a quarter signal. And it was a 1907-s Barber, badly worn but none the less a keeper for me. Next couple swings in the area started a run of G.A.R medals. They just kept coming. A couple were even found laying on the surface!
I think I cleaned the area pretty well. But, there is a ton of brush right there. I think I will go back and hit it in the fall when the leaves are gone. If you have any info on those medals I would appreciate it. I did a quick google, and it looks like a couple I found were missing pieces yet.
Anyway, this was the second most fun I had with my detector. One the way back down the trail, I was sure hoping to find a little more silver to finish up the hunt. Sure enough, I managed to get a '41-D Merc! Also, a blown marble, pistol ball, wheatie, and a couple modern coins. If I did not find the good luck token, I never would have found the rest.

Stu

Attachments

• REXALL.jpg
    REXALL.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,381
  • GUDLUKK.jpg
    GUDLUKK.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,359
  • 1919.jpg
    1919.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,335
  • AIDE.jpg
    AIDE.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,324
  • CHATTANOOGA.jpg
    CHATTANOOGA.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,321
  • DU NORD.jpg
    DU NORD.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,303
  • GLORY.jpg
    GLORY.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,300
  • INDY.jpg
    INDY.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,287
  • REP.jpg
    REP.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,263
  • GOLD LOCKET.jpg
    GOLD LOCKET.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,270
  • - 012.jpg
    - 012.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,247
Upvote 0

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
Strange that they would all be there unless an old homesite was once there. Anyways they are an awesome find, worth getting attacked by all the bugs. Super congrats. I'd go back and clear brush, hunt real slow. Keep us posted.

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Now THAT'S my kind of day! I absolutely love hunting way out of the way spots. I once found a small outcropping of rocks in a small river that produced a lot of WW1 era english coins, military badges and other assorted stuff. I was in heaven.
These types of recoveries are the ones that are special. The Barber BTW, looks verrry nice, worn or not. WTG ;D

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could the second picture actually be a watch fob??
I dont think the G.A.R. was ever called SVA....
just an idea....Great finds..and i would think there will be more stuff there!!!
Terry

Lafitte

Apr 20, 2007
Western NC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Sore Legs
From bug-bitten and grumpy to doing the happy-dance, all in a few minutes. I love that feeling. :D

Great finds!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
teverly said:
Could the second picture actually be a watch fob??
I dont think the G.A.R. was ever called SVA....
just an idea....Great finds..and i would think there will be more stuff there!!!
Terry
It's a G.A.R. medal,probably had a ribbon attached.It's listed-
Headquarters established at Brooklyn, N.Y. later removed to Columbus, Ohio. Fifty-third National Encampment, Colombus, Ohio
September 7-13, 1919
Membership: 110,357
The following officers were elected and appointed for the ensuing year:
Commander in chief James D. Bell, Brooklyn, N.Y.
(died in office)
Daniel M. Hall, Columbus, Ohio
Senior vice commander in chief Daniel M. Hall, Columbus, Ohio
Charles B. Wilson, Los Angeles, Calif.
Junior vice commander in chief Charles B. Wilson, Los Angeles, Calif.
Isidore Isaacs, New York, NY
Surgeon general Stephen I. Brown, Knox, Ind.
Chaplain in chief Rev. W.W. Gist, Cedar Falls, Iowa
Adjutants general Isidore Issacs, New York, N.Y.
Joseph W. O’Neall, Columbus, Ohio
Quartermaster general Cola D.R. Stowits, Buffalo, N.Y.
Judge advocate general William A. Ketcham, Indianapolis, Ind.
National patriotic instructor Hoseah W. Rood, Madison, Wis.

Nice little honeyhole you found there.Now get back out there and find some more! :)

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Some really awesome finds. This is such a great hobby, you just never know what will come out of the ground next. Congrats and keep em coming!

Smiles!
BDoo

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Nice, made all the troubles go away quickly!! Sure was good luck!!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and awesome hunt, congrats! HH, Mike

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Absolutly awsome!

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
:o
Stu, if I were you I'd carry that Good Luck token every where I go! I have yet to find a G.A.R. reunion medal but I did find a C.S.A reunion medal from 1916. HH and Congrats

Desertfox

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
McSancho said:
I also think that there are a couple of watch fobs mixed in with the pins and medals. Very neat assemblage. There were some folks on here earlier whom were hunting an old G.A.R. reunion ground, and finding a neat mixture of older militaria type items and coins. Just something to think about.Most certainly expand your search well beyond the immediate area of where you are currently making finds.
A ribbon attached to a medal does not a watch fob make.Sorry

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
What a day!

It must have been hard to leave that spot!

Congratulations!

Ridley

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread