My first Seated Liberty Dime

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I woke up a bit late this morning but feeling good and decided to make the most of what little time I had. Today's target was an old homestead that I know very little about other that the fact that there is virtually no trace of it above ground today. I only had 2 hours to hunt so I was just bouncing around hoping to find something good. Luckily in my last 15 minutes I pulled up an old dime with a hole (bummer). I cleaned it just well enough to figure out it was my first Seated Liberty Dime and with the hole I didn't expect to find a date, so I stuck it in my pocket and kept hunting hoping for one of its larger friends to be nearby. No more goodies but that one made my day. After getting it under running water, sure enough there was a date I NEVER expected. My first pre civil war coin, dated 1841, and smashing my previous record when I found an 1878 Seated Liberty Quarter. *Anything pre 1880 in this area is considered a rare find

tmp_18755-20161206_155703-1388973010.jpg tmp_18755-20161206_155856-1685151909.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 26

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! I personally think the hole adds character. Would love to find one someday.

Revrob

Jan 24, 2016
Cherry Valley
Detector(s) used
At pro, Nokta FoRs CoRe, equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful coin, just found my first too, 1889, did same thing as u, cold, wet, dirty, i just threw it in my pocket, knew it was silver, but thought it was a merc til i got home. The suprise felt good didnt it! Not my oldest, but definitly one of the coolest coins out there..

btripp6

Jul 6, 2015
Grovetown, GA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, XP MI-6 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice seated! Still on my bucket list.

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey thanks guys. I know I'm going to have to go back. Upon further research of the history of the location I discovered that there were two cemeteries on the property, one was the family cemetery which I knew about but there is also a little known slave cemetery nearby. Another interesting fact that I came across was that slaves would sometimes wear a coin as a medalion around their neck or ankle. Now I know I'll never know exactly why this coin is holed, but it sure makes for some interesting possibilities.

Source http://uwf.edu/wlees/SEAC2007.pdf

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread