Beavertail gets lucky first hunt of 2017

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
first_2017.jpg

The temperature was above freezng today and I just had to take one of the girls for a walk. I chose to take the V3i out to the park. Setting up with the 5.3 Eclipse near the parking lot I take several swings and pinpoint what is going to be comingled trash/penny. I reach for my TRX and grasp air. Oh, no, I quickly realized I left it at home! I stuck the Screwdriver into the ground and it sank 4-5 inches. Cool. I decided to go home and grab the pin pointer and a soil knife.

Twenty minutes later I was back at the park. I took off in a different direction intending to make my way back to the original signal. It soon became apparent I wasn’t going to be doing much digging anywhere else but that one area to the side of the parking lot that was thawed. Everywhere else was frozen, even the wood chips. I had also forgotten and rediscovered that frozen wood chips are almost impossible to dig through without a chainsaw. Many desirable signals had to be abandoned until thaw.

So this being the situation I had resigned myself to picking up trash and surface signals. I picked up the swing pace considerably to over 4 foot per second. Swinging Deus speeds and still nailing and hitting on 4 inch signals in disc channel and 6 inch+ in the all metal channel. Much continued to be left behind, and as I made my way across the sports field towards the parking lot. I got back into the thawed area.

Pretty much I just ended up jacking around with various settings and swing speeds. Testing and refining my settings, and for a time digging everything that signaled solid VDI no matter ferrous or non-ferrous.

I think these two were still celebrating New Years Eve…two different styles. So that was a cool find IMO.

tab_sex.jpg

Unfortunately nothing really nice was found, 25 cents, but it was still a nice day for walking with the neglected wife (my V3i) and hearing her voice again.

I sincerely hope you have a very good year.

Thanks for peeking.

Upvote 5

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a hunt like that a couple weeks ago. It sucks when all you can dig are surface and near surface targets. But ya do what ya got to do in order to feed the dragon. We were blessed with some pretty good weather (above freezing) today and tomorrow.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You still got out and play around with that cool machine! :hello2:

You are digging the mid-tones, these could be gold tones with any luck!. :icon_thumright:

GL & HH

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a hunt like that a couple weeks ago. It sucks when all you can dig are surface and near surface targets. But ya do what ya got to do in order to feed the dragon. We were blessed with some pretty good weather (above freezing) today and tomorrow.

If I am not always chasing the dragon then I'm thinking about chasing the dragon....so it seems. Obsessive much? :occasion14:

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You still got out and play around with that cool machine! :hello2:

You are digging the mid-tones, these could be gold tones with any luck!. :icon_thumright:

GL & HH

Those tabs are great indicators nobody has been jewelry hunting the area. I'm just happy I could dig at all today and enjoy just the act of digging sometimes.

Thanks. :)

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck, if you're gonna be outdoors, might as well play in the dirt..........ya just never know..........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread