New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a field today with that kid Joe that found the Seated Half Dime in my hayfield, we went to a soybean field I was waiting for hunting season to get over. I had been in one part of this giant field earlier a couple times. Once with Joe in the mud and once by myself. We had only found musket balls and buttons. Today was a little different. I got out and headed for a corner to start all the way on the other side. I usually will scout a new section with loose thirty yard loops from the edge of the field. When I almost got to the other edge I got a sweet 91 on the Deus, very loud because it was telling me it was very shallow. One inch under out pops a big copper. About three passes further (now I'm gridding) I get a 80's signal, I was debating it suspecting aluminum can (84-85) and loud but it sounded different, four inches down out pops the Half cent size copper. They came out fairly clean with the dirt not really sticking to it. I kept looking as I was hunting for some reason. I decided the Draped Bust was a Draped Bust in the field, the little one looked roached out and I figured I was not going to even be able to ID it. I dropped both in distilled water for the one hour plus ride home. I was hot peroxiding both and seen the little one is a capped bust, woo hoo!
Enjoy the pix
HH & GL
Brad

I have them both in cold peroxide, I'm not sure how to handle cleaning from here thinking that the Half Cent might be valuable? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and thanks for looking.
Resized_20170214_162038.jpg Resized_20170214_162556.jpg 20170214_1624121.jpg 20170214_1625071.jpg 20170214_1613351.jpg Resized_20170214_161233.jpg

Upvote 25
OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on thr liberty cap half Treb, always nice when there is enough detail for an ID
Thank you

Love them old coppers
WTG
Thanks

Nice finds for sure . As far as value the half cent would not even be a " gradeable" coin and other than being a neat find it would have no value as a collectible coin.
Yeah, That is what I figured, I would love to see if the NGC could even attribute which one it is? I guess I'm still stuck in that "I have to put a date on it, stage" It's exciting thinking of how it came from about forty-five minutes by car away from the mint to field. Who rode there horse? Here it might of been "who paddled there boat?
Thanks for your input

Great old site to give up early coppers like that !
You know you got a chance at something great when the coins are that old!

I see a few suggestions regarding coin restoration techniques, I use that term loosely; there's a lot of information out there and most if it is bad.
Consider not doing anything.
Oil, water, and and abrasives will only cause you heartache
Thank you Ironhorse, these are some old farms.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another killer hunt Brad! Glad you could get some IDs on those two coppers. Can't wait to see what else the s up there man.

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another killer hunt Brad! Glad you could get some IDs on those two coppers. Can't wait to see what else the s up there man.

Thanks Brad, hopefully I'll get a hunt in tomorrow. I found these two in a farm that two of my other farms are all next to each other. The three farms are all connected by one piece of woods. The one owner is the 82 year old sweet lady that originally gave me permission to hunt as long as the farmer leasing her land said it was ok. She told me she owns part of those woods. I think tomorrow is the day I chase down the neighbor and see if he owns the other part. I had been waiting for hunting season to be done. There is a distinct line of finds through these different farms. The line goes through the woods. Google Earth also shows me there is a body of water in those woods. Ha Ha, I might of found my colonial swimming hole, lol Might have to tie a rope to a tree so I can pull myself out of the muck when it gets warmer?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice digs Brad, I can sense you are stoked, good for you, enjoy the elation. I am looking forward to digging the old stuff in the spring.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread