A quick scout mission at the famous "Wolfe Manor" grounds...

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So about 5 minutes from my house, there is an empty lot of dirt where an old mansion once stood. Built in 1922, it was the home of some wealthy family, and then later went on to become multiple businesses and also a sanitarium. Lots of history there, but probably the most famous history is the supposed "hauntings". This place was on the discovery channel multiple times and was visited by many pro/amateur "ghost-hunters" once it closed years ago.

Anyways, I believe last year sometime it finally had its final hour. The city and the owner were in constant battle over code enforcement and other financial problems. So it was demolished and now there's no evidence of its existence....except maybe in the ground...

I had some business today in the fine city of clovis Ca and thought I would stop to poke around a bit. There was no fences up any more and no "No trespassing " signs up, so I started to hunt. Very first target was a 1901 12 gauge shotgun headatamp. (I have dozens of those and always enjoy digging them). Found tons of junk...there's obviously lots of iron and trash in the ground due to the recent demo crews, however I was still able to pick out a few targets. Got a little bit of clad, and I pulled out my very first decent utensil...I believe it's a Pickle fork! (Correct me if I'm wrong).

So after digging those two older targets, I think I will go back again for a more thorough search! I'm sure this place has been hit before...but who knows. There were fences up for a long time and they have just recently come down! So I'm hoping I'm still in the early stages of hunting a good piece of property from the past.

Happy hunting everyone! Get some!!

Sgt

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1487104290.883389.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1487104306.892177.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1487104319.092153.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1487104331.731768.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1487104345.276403.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1487104355.361864.jpg

Upvote 4
OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1487106188.429494.jpg

aaaaaannnnd I broke it....

Lol, that's what I get for trying to straighten out a thin fork that's been bent and buried for who knows how many decades!! Ugh. I did notice some text though once I cleaned and buffed a little of it out. It reads, "Balboa reinforced". Hmmmm

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No worries, I've snapped a few relics trying to straighten out myself. Eventually learning when to just clean and save. Probably an old plated fork.

I've had luck recently searching within 10 ft of the front door at an old mansion. I would figure out where it was and create a 10' arc. Hit inside this area and expect to dig a lot of iron to get to the silver coins and relics. Good luck.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck on your return visit as trying as it might be this site would probably qualify for a dig it all project to get
the keepers among the junk.

Regards + HH

Bill

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad about the fork but at least you got a better look at the markings. :icon_thumleft:
Obviously Balboa didn't do such a hot job reinforcing it!

OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Too bad about the fork but at least you got a better look at the markings. :icon_thumleft:
Obviously Balboa didn't do such a hot job reinforcing it!

Hahahahaha!! No...not at all! Thanks a lot, BALBOA! Haha. That's funny. Yeah it felt really solid....and it was, until it snapped. Oh well. I'll polish it up and use it to feed my 16-month old girl. She loves chewing on metal

OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No worries, I've snapped a few relics trying to straighten out myself. Eventually learning when to just clean and save. Probably an old plated fork.

I've had luck recently searching within 10 ft of the front door at an old mansion. I would figure out where it was and create a 10' arc. Hit inside this area and expect to dig a lot of iron to get to the silver coins and relics. Good luck.

Yeah that's a good idea. And there's plenty of recent photos I can refer to for getting an exact location on the perimeter. I watched the footage of them tearing this place down, and it was a mess! However, today on my quick hunt, I was surprised at how well they cleaned up. Yes, there's still tons of junk out there...but wasn't nearly as bad as I thought! There HAS to be some old silvers out there!! Has to be! Sometimes you just gotta clear the layer of trash before you get to em!

Good luck & HH

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's funny. Yeah it felt really solid....and it was, until it snapped.

yeah, it's the same with femurs

danjsargent

Jan 1, 2016
western MA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haha! Thats funny about the fork. I was looking at the pics thinking "what a cool bend!" Then the next pic...

Haha congrats anyways!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread