Very first time using a metal detector.. here's our find!

Sihren

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2017
Northern Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 4 y/o daughter and I decided a little while ago we were going to get a metal detector and hunt for treasures together (I have always wanted a metal detector and may have told her treasure and digging in the mud was involved.. she had no complaints haha)! Here's what we have found on day 1:

-A metal detector. HA.. okay I'm attempting to be funny here but really there are hardly ANY stores that sell any whatsoever, let alone at our pricepoint. Thank goodness I happened to be near Bass Pro today!
-Okay here's the real find.. we had so much fun I just had to share with yall:

1. A piece of trash metal all squished. Maybe the coolest find of the day because at this point in my 4 year old's attention span, I'm the coolest mom ever in the history of the world 8-)
2. We procede to dig up these bits of old rusted iron shards. It is at this exact moment I realized I hadn't bought gloves and they are now on our list. Nothing like good ol' tetanus to spark your memory!
3. We have reached the motherload for sure!!! Not only is this thing deeper, but it's such a funky and long shape. My daughter immediately announced it was a treasure chest and frantically "helped" me dig. I'll just let the pictures show you which this was lol!
4. We found something else in the same hole! It wassss.... and old, squished Budweiser Can! She was less excited and focused at this point so of course, I bet her she couldn't run to the back of the yard and back faster than lightening. She (obviously) proved me wrong and took the dare while I speed detected the last few holes. :hello2:
5., 6., 7., A newer piece of a metal stake maybe? Then a nail. Also! ...Another nail.
8. This one was actually neat and I kept it. I think it was originally just one of those big staples used for.. uhh manly building stuff? But this one had rusted so much it resembles a cute little critter.

Overall day one was so much fun! I learned a lot and just couldn't wait to get back out detecting.

...So I dragged my husband out. He immediately "helped" me (Got incredibly excited when I dug the first hole and manned my detector for the rest of the venture) haha.
We found mostly junk again but there was one thing that's piqued our interest. He's certain it's a meteorite. I am skeptical but trying to do enough research on what it may be so I can form an educated guess. Any insight is much welcomed since I'm sure there are many of yall who are very familiar with this. Either way, mostly certainly the coolest rock I've found to date.

Anyway, we're hooked! This post is way longer than I intended but I just needed to get the details for memory's sake! :) Thanks for reading through that and again if you have any insight 001.jpg 003.jpg 5.jpg 8.jpg

Upvote 22

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Great post and cool finds. MDing can be a great hobby for the family. Happy hunting!

MikeyMinx

Apr 8, 2016
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'll all have your own detector's before you know it :icon_thumleft:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are finding metal and having fun doing it....and you are with your family doing it. It don't get much better than that....but it will if you keep at it,trust me. BTW welcome to tnet.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for sharing your story. The excitement of your hunt comes through loud and clear. Metal detecting is a very fun, family friendly hobby, and "treasure" comes in all shapes and sizes. Good luck on all your future hunts.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to this great hobby- I get to go with my son and grandson- awesome feeling. GL to you all!

-- Jeff --

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-net!!! thank you for sharing your story,....:3some: a family that detects together...

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In case you have not done it yet, google "is my rock a meteor"
What machine did you buy? Good luck and have fun hunting with the family
HH & GL--- Happy Hunting & Good Luck
Brad

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story thanks for sharing. Detecting with your children is priceless. Keep at it, you will be finding the goodies real soon! :icon_thumright:

angleofattack

Aug 9, 2015
West Point, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Euro tech pro dd, xpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you take your kids hunting you won't have to hunt for your kids. The treasure is out there, just waiting for you to find it. Thanks for sharing.

luckyrock3

Sep 9, 2013
northern MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 4 y/o daughter and I decided a little while ago we were going to get a metal detector and hunt for treasures together (I have always wanted a metal detector and may have told her treasure and digging in the mud was involved.. she had no complaints haha)! Here's what we have found on day 1:

-A metal detector. HA.. okay I'm attempting to be funny here but really there are hardly ANY stores that sell any whatsoever, let alone at our pricepoint. Thank goodness I happened to be near Bass Pro today!
-Okay here's the real find.. we had so much fun I just had to share with yall:

1. A piece of trash metal all squished. Maybe the coolest find of the day because at this point in my 4 year old's attention span, I'm the coolest mom ever in the history of the world 8-)
2. We procede to dig up these bits of old rusted iron shards. It is at this exact moment I realized I hadn't bought gloves and they are now on our list. Nothing like good ol' tetanus to spark your memory!
3. We have reached the motherload for sure!!! Not only is this thing deeper, but it's such a funky and long shape. My daughter immediately announced it was a treasure chest and frantically "helped" me dig. I'll just let the pictures show you which this was lol!
4. We found something else in the same hole! It wassss.... and old, squished Budweiser Can! She was less excited and focused at this point so of course, I bet her she couldn't run to the back of the yard and back faster than lightening. She (obviously) proved me wrong and took the dare while I speed detected the last few holes. :hello2:
5., 6., 7., A newer piece of a metal stake maybe? Then a nail. Also! ...Another nail.
8. This one was actually neat and I kept it. I think it was originally just one of those big staples used for.. uhh manly building stuff? But this one had rusted so much it resembles a cute little critter.

Overall day one was so much fun! I learned a lot and just couldn't wait to get back out detecting.

...So I dragged my husband out. He immediately "helped" me (Got incredibly excited when I dug the first hole and manned my detector for the rest of the venture) haha.
We found mostly junk again but there was one thing that's piqued our interest. He's certain it's a meteorite. I am skeptical but trying to do enough research on what it may be so I can form an educated guess. Any insight is much welcomed since I'm sure there are many of yall who are very familiar with this. Either way, mostly certainly the coolest rock I've found to date.

Anyway, we're hooked! This post is way longer than I intended but I just needed to get the details for memory's sake! :) Thanks for reading through that and again if you have any insight View attachment 1419417 View attachment 1419418 View attachment 1419419 View attachment 1419420

I started just a few years ago with my daughter, third beep in my yard was a gun.... We've had the treasure fever ever since. Good luck, and happy hunting. Try and guess what you're digging by the signal your machine gives u. The more holes/targets u dig, the better you get at IDing targets. Good stuff comes with time, and alot of holes dug.

OP
OP
S

Sihren

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2017
Northern Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone! I loved reading all the comments here, everyone is so incredibly supportive. :happy11: Yes, I have no doubt whatsoever I will be getting another detector soon lol! After much thought on the subject, I decided to buy the Bounty Hunter Gold Digger. The reviews were pretty decent on it and you certainly can't beat the price. While I was initially considering spending a bit more, I decided this would be great for a first one to learn the ropes so to speak, and then upgrade to a good one. The other benefit is I can give this one to my daughter when I get the other one.

As far as the meteor-like rock goes, I have looked up identification and common look-alike mistakes. To my surprise, I have not been able to find evidence that it's not a meteor. It's quite dense.. similar I'd say to the way a sapphire or ruby feels when you dig it up and you already know it's more than just a rock. It's very magnetic and it has the characteristics (appearance wise) that certain types of meteors have. We also filed a small corner of it and I was surprised as well to see not only the dust color was on track, but also the internal properties matched up. Still, I am so sure it's man made! My husband insists it's real. Either way, I will know a lot more about chemical composition of metals+their bonding in specific conditions by the end of the day. :icon_thumleft:

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope it turns out to be a meteorite for you! That would make for a memorable first hunt for sure. Perhaps there are experts you could bring it to at the local college, to see what they think.... Best of luck!

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for a nice post and congrats on your finds. I think your rock is a hot rock we find them a lot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread